Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Omega Lutra Kveik  (Read 19668 times)

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Omega Lutra Kveik
« on: September 06, 2020, 12:56:31 pm »
Pitched one pouch into a Vienna Lager wort - at 11:30 am, 83F; steady CO2 Bubbling by 1:30 pm.  If this tastes as good as it starts, there will be one more Kveik convert....But I am still a slight skeptic on this as a lager.  For those with experience on this strain- after it finishes, do you cold crash just like a typical lager routine?
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Omega Lutra Kveik
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2020, 01:26:18 pm »
Pitched one pouch into a Vienna Lager wort - at 11:30 am, 83F; steady CO2 Bubbling by 1:30 pm.  If this tastes as good as it starts, there will be one more Kveik convert....But I am still a slight skeptic on this as a lager.  For those with experience on this strain- after it finishes, do you cold crash just like a typical lager routine?

I certainly haven't tasted all the kveik strains, but none that I have tasted are anywhere near clean.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2020, 01:46:43 pm »
That is my impression, as well, Denny.  Hornindal, Voss, Jernes, all were not striking the pleasurable chord on my palate.  I thought I would give this one a try, since I mostly brew lagers and this strain is supposed to be “lagerish” in its clean profile.  I’ll report back.  If it is pleasant, then I might do a split wort and see what others say in a side by side or triangle test.  It might be difficult to line up tasters under the present circumstances....

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2020, 01:50:36 pm »
Excited to hear your impressions! I've usually cold crashed my kveik beers, but it's been a mixed bag in terms of clarity.

I haven't tried Lutra, but Oslo stayed a bit hazy after cold crashing and is maybe an American ale substitute. Any reason not to do the split batch now? Then you at least have half you like.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2020, 01:54:28 pm »
Excited to hear your impressions! I've usually cold crashed my kveik beers, but it's been a mixed bag in terms of clarity.

I haven't tried Lutra, but Oslo stayed a bit hazy after cold crashing and is maybe an American ale substitute. Any reason not to do the split batch now? Then you at least have half you like.

. Well I would have to brew again, since this one is already going.  I prefer to use one wort fermented with different strains to keep the variables down between the batches being compared... so I will do a similar beer and make 10 gallons total, split into two Five gallon fermenters.

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2020, 12:54:08 pm »
It finished by late in the morning Tuesday and I racked it to keg on Tuesday evening.  I will sample it tonight or tomorrow and see what it tastes like.  The little bit in the hydrometer seemed a bit yeasty, but at 80 degrees, I don’t think it was representative of a cooler and carbonated beer.

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2020, 03:24:37 pm »
I have used the original Skare culture that I believe Lutra was isolated from. Its pretty clean and light bodied. I dont think you can make a lager without lager yeast though, but it does make a clean tasting beer.

Offline Dave_s

• 1st Kit
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2020, 06:35:33 pm »
Looking at a dead clear Vienna made with Lutra. Tastes pretty good to me. It was fined, but Lutra seems to flock pretty hard. Love to hear other's impression. Way cleaner than some of the other Kveik strains I have used. Works well for clean ales as well. The other strains seem best for NEIPA. I have a few other lager grists in its future was very happy with a couple of ale builds and want to go super clean to really see the character.

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2020, 07:16:29 pm »
I have used the original Skare culture that I believe Lutra was isolated from. Its pretty clean and light bodied. I dont think you can make a lager without lager yeast though, but it does make a clean tasting beer.
Escarpments Krispy is a blend of two strains from the Skare culture. They note they taste similar to Oslo. I wasn't thrilled with Oslo as a "lager" yeast, but it seemed fine as an american ale replacement. It's a bit more work than chucking a packet of US-05 in though.

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2020, 05:43:28 am »
I have a Helles side by side fermentation going now.  5 gallons Lutra repitch @75F and 5 gallons S -189 repitch at 56F.  The Lutra finished in 3 days and the S-189 is close to spunding at day 4.

I will repost when these two are sampled, side by side, blind, assuming I can line up tasters for a panel, otherwise I will have me and my wife serve each other blindly a few times.  At least it will be a data point.

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2020, 09:25:59 pm »

I have a Helles side by side fermentation going now.  5 gallons Lutra repitch @75F and 5 gallons S -189 repitch at 56F.  The Lutra finished in 3 days and the S-189 is close to spunding at day 4.

I will repost when these two are sampled, side by side, blind, assuming I can line up tasters for a panel, otherwise I will have me and my wife serve each other blindly a few times.  At least it will be a data point.

Any updates? Interested to hear your impressions.

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2020, 06:00:44 pm »
Couldn’t get the guys together, so the kegs are sitting on CO2. For the time being.

Offline Joe_Beer

• Brewer
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2020, 03:16:56 am »
I pitched some Lutra on Saturday (first time also) and gravity is still dropping on Wednesday. It's been sitting in the basement at 72F.  How many days did you get out of your ferment?

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2020, 05:42:17 am »
I got to terminal gravity in 3 days at high 70’s F (using ambient temp at the time).

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2020, 12:44:17 pm »
Well I figured I would be the guinea pig on this, since I couldn’t get people to commit to stopping by this weekend.  My impression:

I can barely tell the difference between the two - it is more subtle than I would have thought.  This Munich Helles was brewed on 9-12-20 and has the following grain Bill:  Barke Pils (10lbs.), Proximity Pale Ale Malt (8 lbs.), Goldswaen Hell Malt (1 lb.) and Ireks Acidulated malt (1lb.). 1 oz. Magnum FWH and 1 oz. Mittelfrüh at 1 minute.  Lutra fermented at 74-76F over 3 days, then racked to keg and cold crashed to 34F; S-189 fermented at 54-56F for six days, then racked to keg and cold crashed to 34F.  Force carbed and My first sample was drawn today, 10-11-20.

Appearance is identical in color (lightly burnished gold) and yet clarity - I give it slightly to the Lutra at this point, though they are both very clear.  The S-189 batch was moved from the original lagering chest to a serving chest a few days ago - so that may be significant as the Lutra did not move after first placement into the chest.

Aroma - both are very lightly aromatic with S-189 being a bit more bready and Lutra being just a hint of lemony citrus.  Very neutral tones overall.

Flavor - S-189 is more subdued giving a clean lager crackery white bread flavored upfront and minimal aftertaste sounding in a slight graham cracker sweetness.  Lutra is slightly sweeter up front and a lingering honey note.  Not a lot of difference, though.

Mouthfeel is pretty identical, though S-189 has a bit more lager crispness; whereas the Lutra is more rounded again, the difference is very slight.

Overall impression- very similar beers- with selecting a style that is pretty “bland” and low hopped, so that yeast is the only significant flavor provider, I expected a greater difference between the two. I have to admit, this is a very clean Kveik.  I wonder if the fact that it is a repitch (first repitch) has made a difference of significance?  I wouldn’t say I am astounded, but Omega sure picked some clean traits on this  strain.  Yes, I used the word clean, because I cannot deny it.  I honestly think I preferred it.  I had doubts and would have given big odds against that outcome.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2020, 12:46:35 pm by ynotbrusum »