Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Bubbling Round Two  (Read 1547 times)

Offline Bevel

• 1st Kit
  • Bevel
Bubbling Round Two
« on: January 25, 2021, 06:44:40 pm »
Hey everyone, I made two one gallon batches the last few weeks. Both of them bubbled fast for the first 24 hours, then basically still for the rest of the two weeks. Both of them I had to put off bottling due to time constraints for a few days.  With both that they started bubbling again at day 15. Is that autolysis beginning? Hope I didn’t wait too long but seems like some people wait plenty long until bottling. One I ended up bottling at day 20, the other at day 16.

Wish I had more details in the yeast, but they were both all-grain kits from Brooklyn Beer Shop so they didn’t have the type of yeast on it, just their brand label. 

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: Bubbling Round Two
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2021, 08:18:02 pm »
Autolysis takes many months. I've bottled after 2 months or more with no issues. If I had to guess,  maybe you had a small change in temperature that led to some CO2 coming out of solution. I wouldn't sweat it, you're fine.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Bevel

• 1st Kit
  • Bevel
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2021, 08:59:27 pm »
Autolysis takes many months. I've bottled after 2 months or more with no issues. If I had to guess,  maybe you had a small change in temperature that led to some CO2 coming out of solution. I wouldn't sweat it, you're fine.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Awesome thanks, thought it would be mighty strange! 

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2021, 07:48:07 am »
There’s no rule that says you have to wait two weeks to ferment beer. When it’s done it’s done.

Most of my beers are at terminal gravity in 5 to 7 days.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2021, 09:08:09 am »
There’s no rule that says you have to wait two weeks to ferment beer. When it’s done it’s done.

Most of my beers are at terminal gravity in 5 to 7 days.

Absolutely.  The beer makes the schedule, not the calendar.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2021, 02:56:19 pm »
+1

My beers are done, typically, and racked within 7 days when pitched with healthy yeast, especially when harvested from a portion of slurry on back to back repitches.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Bevel

• 1st Kit
  • Bevel
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2021, 07:30:29 pm »
Interesting, thanks for the advice on fermentation timelines. I’m still pretty new so I’m stuck on prescribed timelines...haven’t veered from the two weeks yet but sounds like I could move to a week of fermentation, then bottle without worry. It does seem like there’s so much inactivity it’s a wasting time. I do one gallons so I guess there’s not a huge risk trying it out anyway, eh? When you bottle after ~7 days, do you condition for 2-3 weeks still or longer?

Offline BrewBama

Bubbling Round Two
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2021, 07:58:55 pm »
Just ensure you’re at terminal gravity (or x% above terminal if you spund).  It could be 3 days or 10 days or 20 days. It’s up the the yeast to tell you when it’s done.

Bottle conditioning is simply waiting on the residual yeast to referment in the bottle to capture the CO2 to carbonate the beer for you, then allow it to clear if that matters to you. That could be one week, two weeks, three weeks...  Lots of variables involved such as storage temp, yeast strain, avail sugars, etc.

Try one after a week if it needs more time let it take more time. It probably will. Then try one in another week.  ...and on and on until you are pleased with the results. You’ll figure out what you prefer. No hard and fast rule.

There’s a lot of science to brewing. ...but there’s some art as well as pure f*ing black magic, too.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2021, 08:05:32 pm by BrewBama »

Offline neuse

• Brewer
  • New Bern, NC
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2021, 11:29:58 am »
Taking gravity samples 2 - 3 days apart will tell you if fermentation is finished. If gravity has dropped at the second reading, it's not done.

Offline Beerbaron1

• 1st Kit
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2021, 03:30:00 pm »
I also brewed on Sunday morning. Bohemian Pilsner at 1.046 OG.
Only one 34/70 packet added directly to primary after cooling to 65F.
Then dropped to 55F over next several hours.
Two 60 second O2 blasts at pitch and at 4 hours.

I had full primary activity at 24 hours.
Still active at this time.

Did you oxygenate your wort?

Offline Beerbaron1

• 1st Kit
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2021, 03:32:48 pm »
I also brewed on Sunday morning. Bohemian Pilsner at 1.046 OG.
Only one 34/70 packet added directly to primary after cooling to 65F.
Then dropped to 55F over next several hours.
Two 60 second O2 blasts at pitch and at 4 hours.

I had full primary activity at 24 hours.
Still active at this time.

Did you oxygenate your wort?

Offline Michael Irwin

• 1st Kit
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2021, 04:10:54 pm »
Brewing small batches, I have just relied on patience to get through my 3 week minimum primary fermentation time. It doesn’t make sense to waste beer collecting samples, so I just wait it out. After 3 weeks, I bottle. Then I wait at least another week after bottling to sample for carbonation, clarity and taste. When it’s ready, so am I.