Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Omega Lutra Kveik  (Read 19434 times)

Offline Joe_Beer

• Brewer
Re: Omega Lutra Kveik
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2020, 05:52:59 am »
I'd have to agree on the clarity. I've been pulling a few samples (using a spigot) from my Lutra batch the past few days to check gravity and it's notably clearer. I've been tasting it and haven't noticed anything funky about it. Granted, it hasn't been cold crashed, aged or dry hopped yet so we'll see if those steps change anything. You can read through an inch of it and this is straight out of the fermenter. I even swirled this thing around a few days ago so stuff should have fluffed up and re-settled on the bottom/spigot. Not sure where all the gunk went.

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2020, 09:10:43 am »
would you be willing to test the post ferm PH of the two beers? Kveik has a tendency of finishing with a lower ph and I think that might be the cause of some of thin body issues Ive had with it

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2020, 10:47:31 am »
I've got zero activity with my Lutra schwarzbier 43 hours after pitching.  I'll check on it again tonight but jeez, kind of a lag on this one.  I know I underpitched, AND am fermenting at "only" 70 F, and this is intended for a Lutra competition with the local club, so I don't think I'll add any more yeast even if this lags.  But holy wah.  I guess 2 grams in 0.8 gallons wasn't enough.  Maybe someone else can learn from my mistakes.  I'll keep in touch as to how this turns out, nice experiment actually.  In the other 0.9 gallons (split 1.7-gallon batch), I used London ESB(!).  That shows no activity yet either, but I used the same 2 grams so that it will be a nice side-by-side comparison eventually maybe, if they don't get contaminated.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Joe_Beer

• Brewer
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2020, 07:46:14 am »
would you be willing to test the post ferm PH of the two beers? Kveik has a tendency of finishing with a lower ph and I think that might be the cause of some of thin body issues Ive had with it

Looks like the closest match is 5 (I'm not sure how to read these things).  According to my brewnotes the wort was at 6 during the boil (probably after adding the LME). I added an 1/8 cup of lemon juice but it didn't seem to change.

Offline Joe_Beer

• Brewer
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2020, 08:13:20 am »
Just fyi - I have a post here with a pic of the harvested Lutra https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=35766.msg449028#msg449028

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2020, 08:38:54 am »

Looks like the closest match is 5 (I'm not sure how to read these things).  According to my brewnotes the wort was at 6 during the boil (probably after adding the LME). I added an 1/8 cup of lemon juice but it didn't seem to change.

I don't think I'd trust those strips.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Joe_Beer

• Brewer
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2020, 11:08:02 am »

Oh, are the strips inaccurate? I wouldn't be surprised given how far off the colors always are.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2020, 11:45:38 am »

Oh, are the strips inaccurate? I wouldn't be surprised given how far off the colors always are.

Yes, even the best strips aren't very accurate.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Joe_Beer

• Brewer
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2020, 02:31:05 pm »

Ah. Are the electronic gizmos any better?

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2020, 02:41:03 pm »

Ah. Are the electronic gizmos any better?

Considerably.  although I hardly ever use mine any more.  Bru'nwater has been so accurate that I don't need to check unless I'm brewing a new recipe.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2020, 02:47:12 pm »
I've got zero activity with my Lutra schwarzbier 43 hours after pitching.  I'll check on it again tonight but jeez, kind of a lag on this one.  I know I underpitched, AND am fermenting at "only" 70 F, and this is intended for a Lutra competition with the local club, so I don't think I'll add any more yeast even if this lags.  But holy wah.  I guess 2 grams in 0.8 gallons wasn't enough.  Maybe someone else can learn from my mistakes.  I'll keep in touch as to how this turns out, nice experiment actually.  In the other 0.9 gallons (split 1.7-gallon batch), I used London ESB(!).  That shows no activity yet either, but I used the same 2 grams so that it will be a nice side-by-side comparison eventually maybe, if they don't get contaminated.
Why on earth did you underpitch by so much? The idea of this yeast is that it can ferment warm and results in a clean beer. One does not underpitch to get those results...

I've been using this yeast for the last 4 months and absolutely love it. I pitch and aerate as normal, but only chill the wort to about 90F, ferment at room temp letting the fermentation temp drop from 90F to whatever room temp is. Ferments in about 3 days, I keg in 7-10. It's bright going into the keg. Always get great attenuation and very clean tasting beers; very kolsch-like, great for pseudo-lagers. This is amazing yeast.

EDIT: Oh, and another thing...every single batch I've had fermentation start (and actively fermenting) within an hour. Most of the time I'm seeing bubbles in the airlock before I'm done cleaning up. It starts that fast.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2020, 02:50:05 pm by beersk »
Jesse

Offline Joe_Beer

• Brewer
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2020, 06:58:24 pm »

I've been using this yeast for the last 4 months and absolutely love it.

Are you harvesting and re-pitching or just making life easy and going with new yeast each time? I have some sitting in the fridge so curious how many uses you've gotten out of it.

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2020, 09:13:20 am »
I harvest and repitch.
Jesse

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2020, 09:36:51 am »
When re-pitching, how much did you use for 5 gallons?  I used about 3 tablespoons and had the same results you mention about the noticeable fermentation starting within a couple hours.  At the low 70's.  Finished in 3 days.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2020, 12:52:15 pm »
When re-pitching, how much did you use for 5 gallons?  I used about 3 tablespoons and had the same results you mention about the noticeable fermentation starting within a couple hours.  At the low 70's.  Finished in 3 days.
I pitch the same amount I pitch for any harvested yeast. It's probably 8-12oz of thick slurry. I don't adhere to those "under pitch and don't aerate" rules for kveik. I'm looking for clean beers with the benefit of no temp control and only chilling to 90F, which really speeds up the brew day and cuts down on stress by a lot.
Jesse