Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Strike water volume  (Read 3103 times)

Offline Silver_Is_Money

• Brewer
  • Developer of 'Mash Made Easy'
    • Mash Made Easy, MashRite, LLC
Re: Strike water volume
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2020, 08:54:17 am »
Lots of grain, limited mash tun size. Like when I used to make barleywine in a 48 qt. cooler.

Wow, I'm terrified of making Barleywine in a 52 qt. cooler, and if I do I cheat on the grain bill and then bolster the OG with DME.

Offline Joe_Beer

• Brewer
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2020, 08:59:59 am »
I throttle my pump to X gpm. That way I know how long it takes for the entire mash volume in gallons to recirculate thru the grain bed. Recirculation is one technique to improve efficiency. pH, recipe design, grain crush, and temperature are a few others.

Gotcha on that. The foundry comes with a clamp to throttle the flow but haven't tried to measure the gph. I just make it look close to what Short Circuited Brewers uses on his Foundry video :D

It's on my todo to address the other efficiency variables. I know they are there and maybe working against me but it seems I should get my boil volumes repeatable with a recipe I like as a baseline and go from there. I learned I'm getting about 55% efficiency right now, judging by what brewersfriend shows me. I didn't realize the recipe I picked is setup for 75%. So, that was the subject of some education last night.

PH and water treatment is something else I need to look at. Not sure the water I use needs a campden tablet, or epsom salts, or other additions. I just haven't dove into it yet. I did check PH because it seemed to be the most important.  I have those strips because, well, I just didn't have the spare cash for one of those electric gizmos. The strips seem to always come out at 6. I tried adding a 1/4 cup of lemon juice once to an extract kit to see if it really lowered the PH and it seemed to bring it down from 6 to 5.5. I'm not sure they are meant to be that accurate though. Incidentally, I'll bet the lemon juice should be added to the strike water before mashing because why would the enzymes care about PH afterwards?

Offline Joe_Beer

• Brewer
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2020, 09:03:23 am »
Lots of grain, limited mash tun size. Like when I used to make barleywine in a 48 qt. cooler.

Nothing says "Yes, I'm freaking serious." like a 48 qt cooler :D

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Strike water volume
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2020, 09:11:40 am »
“Do what you can, with what you’ve got, where you are.” — Squire Bill Widener of Widener’s Valley, Virginia
Theodore Roosevelt:  An Autobiography
chapter IX

I like the priorities you have. Volumes are a great start. First things first.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: December 07, 2020, 09:22:05 am by BrewBama »

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2020, 09:46:33 am »

Wow, I'm terrified of making Barleywine in a 52 qt. cooler, and if I do I cheat on the grain bill and then bolster the OG with DME.

Which is why I eventually got a 152 qt. cooler
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2020, 10:53:05 am »
Ive done a 1.112 RIS with my no sparge BIAB set up, but simply removing the grain basket, dumping the grain out and adding more. Got 65% efficiency, so that sucked, but all in all it worked