Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Oaking a rye brew?  (Read 1002 times)

Offline charlie

• Assistant Brewer
Oaking a rye brew?
« on: November 05, 2020, 06:33:56 pm »
I have some oak spirals laying around, and a 50% rye queued up for Sunday (11/8). The kegerator is full, so I could oak it without any problem.

Will the oak get in the way of the rye flavor? I don't think it will, but I have never oaked a rye brew before.

Charles
Yes officer, I know that I smell like beer. I'm not drinking it, I'm wearing it!

Offline joe_meadmaker

• Brewer
Re: Oaking a rye brew?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2020, 07:52:11 pm »
I've had barrel aged rye stouts before and enjoyed them.  Not that I made, just stuff I bought.  Although that's probably quite a bit different than what you're working with.  The combo sounds intriguing though.

Online reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2020, 10:21:11 pm »
Oak can be overpowered in any beer if used too aggressively. Use restraint with the amount you use and taste every few weeks. You can always go longer or add more oak but you can never take it back.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline charlie

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2020, 08:51:37 am »
Oak can be overpowered in any beer if used too aggressively. Use restraint with the amount you use and taste every few weeks. You can always go longer or add more oak but you can never take it back.

Good advice. I have oaked two pale ale/IPAs in the past. Each time I used one oak spiral per 5 gallon fermentor for two weeks, and that seemed about right. At this point that's what I'm planning to do.

Charlie
Yes officer, I know that I smell like beer. I'm not drinking it, I'm wearing it!

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2020, 08:51:25 pm »
I remember having an Oaked Rye IPA from Founders at HBC in Grand Rapids, Michigan. I recall it was very nice and something that I would not have thought of. I say give it a shot and maybe taste it periodically while it’s aging. Bottle or keg when the oak level is to your taste.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan Chisholm

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2020, 07:48:32 am »

Good advice. I have oaked two pale ale/IPAs in the past. Each time I used one oak spiral per 5 gallon fermentor for two weeks, and that seemed about right. At this point that's what I'm planning to do.

Charlie

That's the secret, taste, taste, taste.  I have a RIS on tap that was aged on Crown Royal soaked medium toast oak chips.  I made two batches.  Because of how busy I got with fall projects, the first batch was aged on the chips for about 10 days.  I thought the oak was a bit much.  I aged the second batch for 5 days and it was much better.  More subtle woody notes and the booze enhances the beer more as the beer warms.  Let your palate be your guide especially with a lighter bodied, less complex beer like a Rye IPA.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline Qzm

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2020, 11:19:22 pm »
Little late for the OP brew, but there's also the option of splitting the batch (one oaked, one not) and blending to taste, which also lowers the risk:reward for oaking longer and aging out (i.e. being unpalatably oaked while mild, but potentially being mellowed out by age*).

I believe this episode of Brewing Network, with Shea Comfort, covers oaking and blending.

*If it doesn't work out, it can be used like an oak tea in future batches.