Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Adding brett at bottling question  (Read 800 times)

Offline beerphilmcd

• Assistant Brewer
  • Enzymatic activity excites me!
Adding brett at bottling question
« on: September 07, 2020, 11:48:48 am »
I have a dubbel in primary that I’m thinking about adding Brett to some of it at bottling. I’m not a huge sour beer fan but do enjoy the added complexity so I thought this would be a nice way to dabble by dosing a dozen bottles or so.
Dosage rate for adding to individual bottles?
Which strain should I use for mild complexity.
Do I need to worry about bottle bombs?
"Perhaps wisdom for me is understanding how truely small I am, and that there is no smug self centered moment of clarity when there is so much more to learn" Anthony Bourdain

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
Re: Adding brett at bottling question
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2020, 05:01:54 pm »
Brett wont make your beer sour unless its severely oxidized, so adding it at bottling wont cause alot of souring. Bottle bombs could be a concern, what is your fg? as far as strains go, I think this is a good strain for adding at bottling https://www.imperialyeast.com/organic-yeast-strains/yeast-types/wild-sour/brux/. As far as dosing, I would use a pipette and add a few drops to each bottle

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
Re: Adding brett at bottling question
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2020, 09:07:50 pm »
Agree, you aren't going to get sourness from brett alone and you only need a few drops from the lab packaging per bottle.

Bottle bombs could be an issue especially if your FG is fairly high. A couple insurance policies would be to use thicker glass bottles and to add like 3/4 the priming sugar and let brett's continued fermentation provide the rest of the CO2.

Wyeast Lambicus would be a good addition to a dubbel if you can find it.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing