Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: why is there no yeast in the recipe?  (Read 2194 times)

Offline EnkAMania

• Brewer
Re: why is there no yeast in the recipe?
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2020, 12:38:36 pm »
As far as yeast, I really like Gulo yeast from Omega.
Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2020, 01:03:14 pm »
To be fair, Shellhammer hasn't conducted this experiment on a New England IPA as far as I know.  Although your recipe doesn't show it, you would generally add your dry hops well before fermentation is complete.  This could be anywhere from high krausen to 8-10 points from final gravity, but definitely when you still see active fermentation.  The theory is that there are biotransformations of hop compounds into other fruity aromatics that occur when using specific yeasts.  However, on a practical level you're also losing some of the VOCs to CO2 scrubbing.

16 oz in dry hop per 5 gallons is a ton of hops, but I use 8oz regularly in this style.

I would think his research would apply especially to NEIPA.

How so?  I'm not discounting it; however, it seems to me that adding hops after primary fermentation is a different scenario than adding6 them while it is ongoing.

True, you still get the tannic load from the hops.  The other theory is that the more mass you have, the more readily it will rebsorbn the oils the hops release.  That's also the theory behind a short dry hop time.

I haven't done a true side by side either.  I have a beer about to be tapped with a similar recipe and 8oz/5 gal dry hop, which is u3p from 6 and 7 oz last time, so I can at least give an impression later today.

About 6.5 is supposedly the limit for 5 gal.  I'll be curious to see if you detect a difference.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2020, 03:10:18 pm »
Imperial Juice, Dry Hop, Citrus
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

narvin

« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2020, 08:28:59 pm »
And S-04, S-33, and Lallemand London ESB are also great choices for this recipe.

There's an enormously deep rabbit hole you can fall into here if you are interested:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/isolated-yeast-tree-house-how-to-identify-and-characterize.623221/

Welcome to the forum!!

So, S-04, T-58, WB-06, and a Champagne yeast. That explains why I find Treehouse beer to be non-hoppy and a muddled mess!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2020, 07:38:12 am »
And S-04, S-33, and Lallemand London ESB are also great choices for this recipe.

There's an enormously deep rabbit hole you can fall into here if you are interested:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/isolated-yeast-tree-house-how-to-identify-and-characterize.623221/

Welcome to the forum!!

So, S-04, T-58, WB-06, and a Champagne yeast. That explains why I find Treehouse beer to be non-hoppy and a muddled mess!

You're not the only one
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2020, 08:18:45 am »

Welcome to the forum!!

I'm pretty sure that its just that they use too much hops. Most of their double ipas taste like sticks and chlorophyll to me, but anything  they sell as a blond ale, pale ale, or IPA really hits the mark for me.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2020, 08:45:08 am »

Welcome to the forum!!

I'm pretty sure that its just that they use too much hops. Most of their double ipas taste like sticks and chlorophyll to me, but anything  they sell as a blond ale, pale ale, or IPA really hits the mark for me.

I've tasted some great NEIPAs, and I've tasted some that were more like chewing on hop cones than anything else... which I have done and which I do NOT recommend.  I visited the Alchemist a few years ago, and honestly was very underwhelmed by how unbalanced and unsatisfying their beers are.  I didn't get a chance to try anything low-hop like a blond, if they even make one.  Their porter/stout was just as hoppy as their NEIPAs, which is fine if you're into that sort of thing.  But I left the place feeling like, okay, I can say I've been there, but beyond that, I won't go back even if I am ever back in the area again.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2020, 09:26:58 am »

Welcome to the forum!!

I've tasted some great NEIPAs, and I've tasted some that were more like chewing on hop cones than anything else... which I have done and which I do NOT recommend.  I visited the Alchemist a few years ago, and honestly was very underwhelmed by how unbalanced and unsatisfying their beers are.  I didn't get a chance to try anything low-hop like a blond, if they even make one.  Their porter/stout was just as hoppy as their NEIPAs, which is fine if you're into that sort of thing.  But I left the place feeling like, okay, I can say I've been there, but beyond that, I won't go back even if I am ever back in the area again.

I was excited that the wife found a B&B just up the road from Alchemist before HomebrewCon in Providence. The ones they had for sampling were some of the most astringent beers I have ever had. My wife got the Kölsch, If wasn't astringent, but had to be 55 IBU.

I did have outstanding ciders around Stow.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

narvin

« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2020, 09:56:56 am »

Welcome to the forum!!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

To my palate, there's a difference between Alchemist and Treehouse.  Both are heavily hopped, and Alchemist can have some hop burn when fresh, but I find Treehouse to be flaccid.

That 93 page thread also has some analysis of how many colonies of each type of yeast were found in their beers.  It varies, and is speculated that some of the simpler beers are mostly just S-04.

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2020, 10:43:36 am »
I did have outstanding ciders around Stow.

They do indeed have some great ciders all around the northeast.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2020, 10:54:36 am »
I avoid Treehouse double ipas partly because I am usually driving when I go there but find most of their regular ipas to be wonderful.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

narvin

« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2020, 05:38:51 pm »
I avoid Treehouse double ipas partly because I am usually driving when I go there but find most of their regular ipas to be wonderful.

It's a personal preference, for sure.  On our trip last year, I liked Maine and Trillium the most for their clean, bright flavors, followed by Alchemist and Lawsons which were more aggressive but still accentuated the hops.  I know a lot of people like Treehouse specifically for the mouthfeel, but it's not my thing.