Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Football is back!  (Read 1956 times)

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Football is back!
« on: September 10, 2020, 06:21:28 pm »
Finally, something normal in 2020. A nice pint and watching the game. No dog in the fight. Just good old American Football.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Football is back!
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2020, 05:04:13 am »
And the return of the Premier League this weekend. Real football.  ;)

Here’s hoping they (all) make it through a full season!

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2020, 05:48:34 am »
Finally, something normal in 2020. A nice pint and watching the game. No dog in the fight. Just good old American Football.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

👍🏽

Let’s keep our fingers crossed that they’re able to play the entire season without getting shut down due to COVID.  But I’m not going to hold my breath.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2020, 05:50:10 am by KellerBrauer »
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Offline scrap iron

• Assistant Brewer
  • K.C.
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2020, 05:54:01 am »
Go Chiefs
Mike F.                                                                              “I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer.”

Abraham Lincoln

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2020, 05:14:35 pm »
Fun opening Sunday - glad the Colts lost. Looking forward to tomorrow night. Go Titans!

narvin

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2020, 03:32:27 pm »
I wasn't sure what to expect.  Baseball is a bust (but then again I'm an Orioles fan) and nothing feels real right now.  I really enjoyed it though.  Weather changing, went out and tailgated at a brewery right by the stadium that has a huge parking lot for socially distant drinking, and of course beat up on the Browns. 

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2020, 05:40:11 pm »
I wasn't sure what to expect.  Baseball is a bust (but then again I'm an Orioles fan) and nothing feels real right now.  I really enjoyed it though.  Weather changing, went out and tailgated at a brewery right by the stadium that has a huge parking lot for socially distant drinking, and of course beat up on the Browns.
Yeah, sports have been weird for me since COVID. I didn't get into baseball (being a Red Sox fan I'm probably better off). I still don't understand why hockey and basketball restarted in the middle of summer instead of waiting another month or two for the normal start time of the next season. Boxing and MMA have been a bit weird with no crowd, but I'm getting used to it.

Given all that, football seemed surprisingly normal. The piped in crowd noise wasn't all that bad, and since the cameras don't really catch the stands during plays, you could sort of suspend disbelief a bit. As long as Cam Newton keeps looking as good as he did yesterday, I'm ok with football this season

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2020, 01:22:36 pm »
Yes I had a nice relaxing Sunday afternoon catching some games. I hated staying until 12:30AM for the end of the Titans Monday Night game (way past this old man's bedtime!) and watching that game was excruciatingly painful with the missed FGs and PA ... but I am glad football is back. Looking forward to beating the Jags at a normal time Sunday.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2020, 06:34:27 pm »
I almost said something when this thread started but didn’t want to rain on anyone’s parade. Now I think it’s obvious that this football season isn’t going to finish. I think this weekend ‘s games will be it actually. The idea of nfl teams moving hundreds of people each between players and support staff from city to city was always so ludicrous and sad.
I think what we have seen so far from this pandemic is a fraction of what we will experience this fall and winter. We need 100% of us to take precautions and what, only maybe 60% are? Because freedom = doing whatever the F I want even if it kills people?
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

narvin

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2020, 07:43:33 pm »
I almost said something when this thread started but didn’t want to rain on anyone’s parade. Now I think it’s obvious that this football season isn’t going to finish. I think this weekend ‘s games will be it actually. The idea of nfl teams moving hundreds of people each between players and support staff from city to city was always so ludicrous and sad.

Covid isn’t spreading because of a team flying on a charter plane and playing in an empty stadium.  However, the players need to learn that if they want to keep making the big money, they need to be safer in the personal lives.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2020, 08:14:50 pm »

Covid isn’t spreading because of a team flying on a charter plane and playing in an empty stadium.  However, the players need to learn that if they want to keep making the big money, they need to be safer in the personal lives.
Not at all what I was saying, the nfl isn’t spreading it, they are just part of a society that can’t seem to place the good of all above an unwillingness to make literally the tiniest effort in the name of “freedom “. Obviously charter planes and empty stadiums aren’t working, the nfl is infected and the season is toast.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2020, 08:50:13 am »

We don/t really know what happened with Titans players and coaches yet. I do agree that it takes only one coach or player to make a mistake. In this case it looks like i t may have been a coach who brought it in and it may have been spread on the airplane ride to Minneapolis.

I am hoping they play this week and then maybe just pause the season and see if that fixes it. I'd still watch a SB in April if need be.

Offline BrewBama

Football is back!
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2020, 09:18:21 am »
200,000 of US population have died from COVID. There are 300+million people in the US. That’s .0006. We’re supposed to tank the American way of life because 99.9% of Americans get sick and get better or don’t get sick at all?

Don’t get me wrong, I think we should take all the recommendations to prevent the spread of this virus very seriously, I pray not another dies from it and those families of loved ones who have died find peace and understanding, and I hope everyone who contracts the illness recovers quickly and fully. ...and I can’t wait for kickoff.

Edit: The CDC’s “Current Best Estimate” for survival rates: 0-19 years old, 99.997 percent; 20-49 years old, 99.98 percent; 50-69 years, 99.5 percent; and 70 years old or older, 94.6 percent.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2020, 05:51:35 am by BrewBama »

narvin

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2020, 09:57:55 am »

Not at all what I was saying, the nfl isn’t spreading it, they are just part of a society that can’t seem to place the good of all above an unwillingness to make literally the tiniest effort in the name of “freedom “. Obviously charter planes and empty stadiums aren’t working, the nfl is infected and the season is toast.

European Soccer continues to play, yet I was told they don't value freedom over there.

I get that some people won't wear masks.  This isn't that.  This isn't people partying in the streets or having large gatherings without any precautions.  It's an organization that has protocols in place.  Everything is a trade off, but the number of game day NFL employees is tiny compared to most industries of its size.

Not sure why happened with Cam but it looks like the Titans outbreak may have started with a coach who did not follow protocols.  I hope that is punished heavily.  At the same time, so much of this "greater good of society" stuff really seems to be less about science, prevention, and smart risk management than it is shaming anyone who enjoying themselves the slightest bit instead of wallowing in misery all day.

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2023, 11:41:18 am »
Hall of Fame Game tonight. I know it isn the ‘real thing’ but it’s football. Cheers!