Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: How do I make sulfite/chemical free cider with fresh juice  (Read 2757 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: How do I make sulfite/chemical free cider with fresh juice
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2020, 08:13:27 am »
I harvest and press my own apples.  I stopped using sulfites years ago after determining I didn't need them.  There is nothing in my cider but juice and yeast and it comes out crystal clear.  As Dave mwntioned, qithout sweetening the cider can be very dry and tart, but that's not a given.  It depends on the apples and yeast.  One of the batches I make every year you'd swear was back sweetened.  But it's not.  It's just apples from a certain tree and WY1450.  Finishes at .996, but full apple flavor and lots of body.
Denny do you boil after crushing?

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk

Never!  Completely unnecessary and would ruin the fresh flavor.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline ahgrafx

• Cellarman
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2020, 02:37:59 am »
I harvest and press my own apples.  I stopped using sulfites years ago after determining I didn't need them.  There is nothing in my cider but juice and yeast and it comes out crystal clear.  As Dave mwntioned, qithout sweetening the cider can be very dry and tart, but that's not a given.  It depends on the apples and yeast.  One of the batches I make every year you'd swear was back sweetened.  But it's not.  It's just apples from a certain tree and WY1450.  Finishes at .996, but full apple flavor and lots of body.

I mean bringing to 160 for 10minutes

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2020, 08:27:32 am »

No, I don't do that either.  Not needed.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline ahgrafx

• Cellarman
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2020, 12:47:08 am »

No, I don't do that either.  Not needed.
Weekly is it not needed, what about bad bacteria

Offline ahgrafx

• Cellarman
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2020, 12:49:21 am »
I'm about to do my last pressing of the year I have many many apples around 1000lb that are really clean but it's going to take forever to bring it all to 160 for 10 minutes. Take quite awhile to cool down to be able to pitch yeast. I hear people just pitching their yeast and it takes over but what about bad bacteria?

« Last Edit: November 15, 2020, 02:02:56 am by ahgrafx »

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2020, 09:22:29 am »
I'm about to do my last pressing of the year I have many many apples around 1000lb that are really clean but it's going to take forever to bring it all to 160 for 10 minutes. Take quite awhile to cool down to be able to pitch yeast. I hear people just pitching their yeast and it takes over but what about bad bacteria?

I have not found "bad bacteria" to be an issue.  I press hundreds of lb. of apples each year for cider.  I used to sulfate.  About 18 years ago I forgot to and the cider turned out fine.  I have not done it since.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline ahgrafx

• Cellarman
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2020, 09:46:49 am »

I have not found "bad bacteria" to be an issue.  I press hundreds of lb. of apples each year for cider.  I used to sulfate.  About 18 years ago I forgot to and the cider turned out fine.  I have not done it since.
So you literally rinse apples, press, then add yeast, rack, then bottle and your done?

Offline ahgrafx

• Cellarman
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2020, 09:48:45 am »

So you literally rinse apples, press, then add yeast, rack, then bottle and your done?

Has every batch turned out fine? Do you check ph and if so is there a certain ph you won't go over?

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2020, 10:03:08 am »

Yep.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2020, 10:04:42 am »

Has every batch turned out fine? Do you check ph and if so is there a certain ph you won't go over?

The only 2 batches that haven't turned out fine were when I tried to use the wild yeast on them.  Turned to vinegar.  2 other batches made the same way turned out fine.  All other batches have had yeast pitched and turned out great.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline ahgrafx

• Cellarman
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2020, 01:38:46 pm »

The only 2 batches that haven't turned out fine were when I tried to use the wild yeast on them.  Turned to vinegar.  2 other batches made the same way turned out fine.  All other batches have had yeast pitched and turned out great.
Can you tell me your exact process? I'm pressing today and will be applying it, I do appreciate your time to inform. Do you overpitch to make sure it starts out fast?
 Thanks

« Last Edit: November 15, 2020, 01:42:45 pm by ahgrafx »

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2020, 01:49:34 pm »
Same here, I just add yeast, no problems in the maybe dozen or so batches I have made. I have had better luck than Dennh with just using wild yeast, probably about six for six turning out good.
As for process it really is as simple as pouring into a fermenter and adding yeast and an airlock.
Beer is relatively hard to make so people who start making beer first seem to be incredulous about how easy cider is.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2020, 02:20:41 pm »

Can you tell me your exact process? I'm pressing today and will be applying it, I do appreciate your time to inform. Do you overpitch to make sure it starts out fast?
 Thanks

I start by spraying StarSan on my press.  I don't know how much good that does, but I do it anyway.  Apples go into a tub of water to wash off surface dirt.  Juice from press gets dumped into sanitized fermenter.  I add one pack of WY1450, unsmacked and no starter, and about 1/2 tsp. yeast nutrient per 5 gal.  Let ferment to completion, rack to secondary for a few weeks to a couple months, then bottle or keg.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline ahgrafx

• Cellarman
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2020, 12:54:51 am »

Thanks

I start by spraying StarSan on my press.  I don't know how much good that does, but I do it anyway.  Apples go into a tub of water to wash off surface dirt.  Juice from press gets dumped into sanitized fermenter.  I add one pack of WY1450, unsmacked and no starter, and about 1/2 tsp. yeast nutrient per 5 gal.  Let ferment to completion, rack to secondary for a few weeks to a couple months, then bottle or keg.
Awesome exactly what I did tonight, I hope it works my friend I'm doing about 50galllons this way. :) Not with the wy1450 though