Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Fruit Puree in Secondary Fermentation  (Read 1134 times)

Offline Sanzetti

• 1st Kit
Fruit Puree in Secondary Fermentation
« on: June 05, 2022, 03:49:13 pm »
Trying to make a fruited IPA using the puree method in secondary fermentation but was wondering if cutting the puree with clean water is the right way to go about it, or just adding it straight in below the wort. Iirc, for a 5 gallon batch i think it was around 1 lb -1.5 lbs of puree but if I cut it with water would it still be the same amount? Just worried that adding the puree by itself would be too much sugar and cause a spike in activity.

This is the specific puree I am going to use:
https://www.amazon.com/Primor-Natural-Fruit-Purees/dp/B076BNRBY3?th=1

Many Thanks

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
Re: Fruit Puree in Secondary Fermentation
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2022, 05:59:00 pm »
Just straight pure. You will have additional fermentation.

This is why you put it at the end of fermentation as it would eat up any pure sugars and you end up with stabile beer.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2022, 05:59:14 pm »

This is why you put it at the end of fermentation as it would eat up any pure sugars and you end up with stabile beer.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2022, 05:59:14 pm »

Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2022, 10:29:05 am »
I would add straight. I believe the concern underlying your question is that the puree will sink to the bottom and not ferment out well. Adding water might help it initially not sink as fast but eventually the puree will sink just because it's heavier. It's the same reason all that trub drops out in your beer. Heavier material sinks with time. Depending on how much puree you add you may need to gently agitate the fermentation vessel if you see incomplete fermentation but unless you're adding an insane amount of puree it shouldn't be an issue.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2022, 11:50:47 am »
Watering it down would not decrease the total amount of sugar, it would just water down the end product. The spike in activity you say you are worried about should be expected and unconcerning. A lack of a spike in activity would be concerning.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline Sanzetti

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2022, 12:36:00 pm »
Appreciate the replies all. I'll go with adding it straight and we'll see what happens.

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2022, 06:32:23 am »
I'm very interested in how this goes.  I am thinking of doing an apricot wheat beer or something along those lines.  My brother is a fan of shock top and was thinking of adding some more flavor to his as well.  Please post your results and the method that you used if you don't mind.  RR

Offline Sanzetti

• 1st Kit
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2022, 10:20:51 am »
I'm very interested in how this goes.  I am thinking of doing an apricot wheat beer or something along those lines.  My brother is a fan of shock top and was thinking of adding some more flavor to his as well.  Please post your results and the method that you used if you don't mind.  RR

Will do for sure. I'm hoping this goes well as I got the method from the owner of a brewery I've been frequenting who makes outstanding fruited ales. I know I'll be doing the method of adding the puree to the fermenter after fermentation has subsided but I'm debating on doing it in a secondary or just going straight in.

Offline brewthru

• Brewer
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2022, 06:13:21 pm »
Knock out the yeast and add unless additional fermentation is the goal.