Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Dunkelweizen - Under Construction  (Read 2398 times)

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Dunkelweizen - Under Construction
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2020, 06:24:12 pm »
For the record, I pitched one full 11g pack into 3 gallons of 1.051 wort that had 1 servomyces capsule added at 10 minutes left in the boil.  According to Lallemand’s pitch rate calculator the recommended amount was 7.24g, so I tossed in a significant over-pitch.  Yeast was added as the fermenter was filling. I gave the beer a good swirl, but no oxygen was added beyond that.  Started fermentation at an internal temp of 67-68 and saw it rise to 72 for about a day at peak activity, then gradually settle back to 70 then 68.  Krausen appeared in 6 hours, HK was overnight for me so probably 18-24 post pitch.  All signs of fermentation were done in 4 days.  Packaged on day 8.

The AROMA for this beer is a mess.  I’m getting a bready, malty, slightly chocolate/roast, banana thing.  It sounds like a success but these aren’t marrying very well.  It comes off as a bit...musty and off-putting.  There were no late hop additions (can’t imagine what that would have done) so I can only point fingers here at the yeast and how it was handled by the brewer!  Maybe the grain bill, but I doubt it.

The TASTE of the beer is something else entirely.  The banana and roast are present but they don’t overwhelm. I’m getting zero spice/clove, whatever.  There is a bready but clean mouthfeel with what I swear is a hint of lemon citrus.  Finishes dry.  Quite tasty.

The beer pours as it should, carbonated appropriately, nice tan head, clingy on the glass.

But that aroma....

My last glass for the night I added 1/8 tsp of vanilla extract pre-pour. It knocked the aroma back to something more manageable and gave the beer a very nice banana bread flavor. It was definitely my favorite.

Lots to think about for me.  The promise of a great beer is here, but so many dials to turn that I’m not sure where to take the yeast next. Pitch to the recommended rate?  Ferment colder?  Warmer?  Longer?

I also wonder about the 1/4 tsp of lactic I used in the mash for pH purposes. I’ve read some suggestions to not worry about pH here, just let it ride.

After a few weeks with this beer, this style has more than piqued my interest.

The Munich Classic Dunkelweizen ended up with very little banana and clove, a strange aroma, a hint of lemony acid and an incredible sessionability. Nice and crisp, dry, and smooth.  So I got some things right and some things wrong and a tail to chase for years to come!

I deleted my Tapatalk ap, so here’s a picture if anyone’s curious.

https://www.brewersfriend.com/forum/threads/what-are-you-drinking-right-now.2751/page-286#post-121282