Author Topic: Dunkelweizen - Under Construction  (Read 218 times)

Offline Megary

• Brewer
Dunkelweizen - Under Construction
« on: September 15, 2020, 04:36:40 PM »
Looking for thoughts on a first pass at a Dunkelweizen.
I won't be using anything besides what I list, or what I currently have in inventory to sub in.

Thanks in advance.

Stats:
Fermenter Vol: 3 gal
OG 1.050
IBU - 15-20
BU:GU - .36
SRM - 18
ABV - 5%

Grains:
I realize this is not 50% wheat so I can call this an American Dark Wheat in order to not run afoul with the style-police.  :)
46% Pale Wheat
46% Munich
5% Victory
3% Carafa II

Possible appropriate subs that I have in stock are Dark Munich, Vienna, Pale Chocolate, Melanoidin, C120, or British Crystal 50/60.

Hops:
I was only planning on an early bittering addition so I'm not sure it matters much.
Nugget, Bravo, Magnum, or Mt Hood are all possibilities.

I have some Saaz and Tettnang to add late if necessary but I won't waste these for IBU's.

Yeast:
Lallemand Munich Classic
No options here, I already have the packet.
I've never used this yeast before so I'm not sure what to expect attenuation-wise.

Mash:
BIAB single infusion.
Estimated pH 5.48
152° for 60 minutes
60 minute Boil

Water:
House water slightly treated with Lactic to adjust pH and Gypsum to add a little SO4.  SO4:CL 1:1, give or take.
A close approximation to Bru'n Water's "Brown Full" target.

Fermentation:
I would like some banana and clove, but not much.  So in order to keep the yeast character relatively low, I plan to pitch the whole packet, no underpitching.  Ferment in the mid 60's.  Maybe raise to 70-72 towards the end of fermentation.

Packaging:
Keg to approximately 2.75-3 vols.

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life.
    • Manty Malters - Meet the Malters! - Dave Taylor
Re: Dunkelweizen - Under Construction
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2020, 05:12:22 PM »
Looks very good.  Specific feedback:

I realize this is not 50% wheat so I can call this an American Dark Wheat in order to not run afoul with the style-police.  :)

Close enough IMO!

Yeast:
Lallemand Munich Classic
No options here, I already have the packet.
I've never used this yeast before so I'm not sure what to expect attenuation-wise.

Probably between about 70-75%, i.e., pretty "normal".

I don't see the need to make any tweaks, honestly.  This should be good.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline erockrph

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2020, 01:42:25 AM »
First and foremost, I think that this will make a great Dunkelweizen as written.

Personally, I like a bit of CaraMunich II or III in my dunkelweizen. If I were brewing it for myself, I'd probably use the C 50/60 in place of the Victory. But that's personal preference and I think it will be just fine with Victory there.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Megary

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2020, 12:57:51 PM »
Thanks for the replies.  Your comments have helped me come to terms with all the time I spent researching this style and putting this recipe together.  :)

My biggest concern with this style is in bold, as quoted from the BJCP guidelines:
A moderately dark German wheat beer with a distinctive banana-and-clove yeast character, supported by a toasted bread or caramel malt flavor. Highly carbonated and refreshing, with a creamy, fluffy texture and light finish that encourages drinking.

So...Malty and drinkable.  Hmm.  Sounds like 10% recipe, 90% process to me.  I think you guys have me convinced that I got the 10% part down.  Lol.

I struggled with Mash temp, SO4:Cl ratio (or more specifically, the total SO4), fermentation temp and even CO2 volumes - all of which I find to greatly affect the drinkability of a beer.  The last thing I want is a sweet, malt bomb. 

In the end, I feel like I'm betting the middle to give myself a base for future reference.

**EDIT** I've decided to move the water target to Brown Balanced.  Not sure why I chose Full in the first place.  More middling.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2020, 01:21:49 PM by Megary »

Offline Megary

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2020, 01:38:45 PM »
I brewed this yesterday and had noticeable air lock activity in 3 hours and a nice Krausen in 6. ?! (1 full pack in 3 gallons)

I’m unfamiliar with Munich Classic, is it always such a quick worker?  Lallemand does say “vigorous fermentation that can be completed in 4 days”, so I suppose so.

Offline fredthecat

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2020, 03:20:45 AM »
I brewed this yesterday and had noticeable air lock activity in 3 hours and a nice Krausen in 6. ?! (1 full pack in 3 gallons)

I’m unfamiliar with Munich Classic, is it always such a quick worker?  Lallemand does say “vigorous fermentation that can be completed in 4 days”, so I suppose so.

yup, i started mine with munich classic a few weeks ago, did ~70% of the packet and it was off like a rocket within a few hours. attached a blowoff tube if you havent.