Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Re-grain used grains from brewing  (Read 1086 times)

Offline colterwilson

• Cellarman
Re-grain used grains from brewing
« on: September 11, 2020, 09:30:54 am »
Don't you know that you can re-use your used grains from brewing? We can give you tricks and tips on how you can re-cycle your used grains to something usable food. in our latest episode, Dan Kruzrock told us about how his company can make a healthy and delicious food out of used grains.
Listen now @ https://homebrewingdiy.beer/index.php/2020/09/10/episode-53-re-grain-with-dan-kurzrock/  || linktr.ee/homebrewingdiy

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
Re: Re-grain used grains from brewing
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2020, 11:36:50 am »
Yeah, depending on the grains, you can use some spent grain in bread. I think the "best" way is to dehydrate the spent grain, mill it into a flour and add it to a bread recipe. However, that is well beyond my means. You can use a small amount of freshly spent grain in a lot of bread and quickbread recipes. Keep in mind that, while base malts and caramel malts are palatable enough, roast malts are going to have a roast flavor, so your Irish stout spent grains may have a different use from your IPA.

But a little freshly spent grain goes a long way from a textural standpoint in any bread or quickbread recipe. I effectively used a little bit in a sourdough bread recipe once and found it okay, but never wanted to try it again. I do commonly use some spent grain to make dog biscuits. Basically, I add 2 parts spent grain to one part flour (I typically use whole wheat, but it doesn't matter). Then add some peanut butter or pumpkin pie mix (or canned fish) for flavor and enough eggs to bind it. After you shape your dog biscuits, you bake them at a very low temperature for a very long time until they are completely dehydrated. They keep a long time and most dogs love them.

Offline Semper Sitientem

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2020, 05:40:03 am »
I always save a few cups of each batch for bread and dog biscuits. Freeze it in a plastic bag. I use moist grain and it works great. Maybe have to add a little more white or wheat flour to compensate for the extra moisture. But for me, dehydrating and milling is not necessary.
Confidunt in cervisia nobis

Scientists believe that the universe is made of hydrogen, because they claim it’s the most plentiful ingredient. I claim that the most plentiful ingredient is stupidity. - Frank Zappa

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2020, 09:23:52 am »
I always save a few cups of each batch for bread and dog biscuits. Freeze it in a plastic bag. I use moist grain and it works great. Maybe have to add a little more white or wheat flour to compensate for the extra moisture. But for me, dehydrating and milling is not necessary.

Need to know your doggie biscuit recipe. I just dumped 48 lbs of good grain in the trash.

Offline Semper Sitientem

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2020, 07:01:24 pm »

Need to know your doggie biscuit recipe. I just dumped 48 lbs of good grain in the trash.

Standard recipe I found online....

4 cups spent grain (No hops - poisonous to dogs)
2 cups flour
2 Large eggs
1 Cup natural peanut butter (No artificial sweeteners - poisonous to dogs)

Mix together and roll out on a flour coated surface. It will have a consistently of Play-Doh. If too moist, add more flour. Thickness doesn’t have to be exact, but I roll out to 1/4“ - 3/8“
If you have cookie cutters, you can use those to make shapes. I use a pizza wheel and cut rectangles.

Place them on a foil lined baking sheet and bake at 350 for 30 mins. Then turn down to 225 for about 90 mins.

Makes approx. 50 1” x 2” treats. YMMV depending on what size you make them.

Scientists believe that the universe is made of hydrogen, because they claim it’s the most plentiful ingredient. I claim that the most plentiful ingredient is stupidity. - Frank Zappa

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2020, 08:13:45 pm »
I've never been a fan of the spent grain bread. All mine goes into the compost pile.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2020, 08:43:34 pm »
I've never been a fan of the spent grain bread. All mine goes into the compost pile.
I tried it once with spent grains from a porter - it was far too bitter for my liking. Mine goes to my chickens and ducks - they can't get enough of it.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2020, 05:31:32 am »
Same here, don’t have chickens anymore but I compost it. Super easy and not a waste as I grow a ton of vegetables.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline Semper Sitientem

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2020, 08:02:06 am »
I make bread, but only using grain from light color beers. At a 3:1, flour to grain ratio, it adds A little character that is not overwhelming and tastes very good.

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2020, 08:44:44 am »

Standard recipe I found online....

4 cups spent grain (No hops - poisonous to dogs)
2 cups flour
2 Large eggs
1 Cup natural peanut butter (No artificial sweeteners - poisonous to dogs)

Mix together and roll out on a flour coated surface. It will have a consistently of Play-Doh. If too moist, add more flour. Thickness doesn’t have to be exact, but I roll out to 1/4“ - 3/8“
If you have cookie cutters, you can use those to make shapes. I use a pizza wheel and cut rectangles.

Place them on a foil lined baking sheet and bake at 350 for 30 mins. Then turn down to 225 for about 90 mins.

Makes approx. 50 1” x 2” treats. YMMV depending on what size you make them.

Awesome! Thanks.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2020, 08:46:09 am »

Same here.  The deer and chickens love it.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell