Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Fermentation buckets  (Read 2020 times)

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
Re: Fermentation buckets
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2020, 04:14:27 pm »
I found this on YouTube. https://youtu.be/huZ2ZnO2630

I was amazed.

That is cool, want.

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2020, 12:30:54 pm »
IM a relatively young man and the thought of carrying any fermenter down stairs gives me pause. ANyway you could just use a hose and gravity feed it?

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2020, 02:35:14 pm »
IM a relatively young man and the thought of carrying any fermenter down stairs gives me pause. ANyway you could just use a hose and gravity feed it?

I could carry a 6.5-gallon lead acid carboy with 5.25 to 5.5 gallons of wort in it down a flight of stairs with one arm in my thirties (I was used to carrying 90lb dumbbells).  However, that was after over a decade of benching over 350lbs and squatting over 550lbs.  I beat my body up starting in high school in an effort to get stronger in order to play middle linebacker.  If could go back, I would slap the younger me silly because my joints are shot due to bad lifting habits.  Today, carrying and swinging a 24kg (53lb) kettlebell is a serious workout for me, but I will 60 next year.

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2020, 10:18:06 pm »
I purchased a 6.5-gallon HDPE bucket to use as a primary fermenter.  I have not used a bucket for primary fermentation since my third batch. However, when I specified my requirements for a fermentation vessel, the lowly plastic bucket was the only fermentation vessel that came close to meeting them. The most critical requirement is that I need to be able to carry my fermentation vessel from my garage down into my basement while using only one hand going down stairs. I am reaching an age where I need to use the handrail, especially on stairs with small treads.  A plastic bucket also has the advantage of being able to carry it with a solid lid and then switch out to a drilled lid.  This decision was not easy for me to make because I have always considered buckets to be on the bottom of the heap.  I thought about using one of this no-chill cubes to transport wort down into my basement and then transferring to a little less ghetto fermentation vessel, but then I would have to clean and sanitize two containers.

Why do you feel the need to carry it down in one trip? I brew in my detached garage and have to go across a patio then enter the house and down the stairs and to the opposite side of the basement where my fermenter is. It was hard enough before I had a hip replaced so I started cleaning and sanitizing two plastic buckets that I fill to about 3 gallons each which is much easier to carry.

Another option for summer brewing that I haven't tried yet is using Kveik yeast and not moving the beer out of the garage at all.
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2020, 09:09:57 pm »
A few years ago I was working a lot, hadn't been to the gym in years and so on. I decided to just do 3 gallon batches.

It was really manageable, and it slightly shortened my brew day.

I've been working out a lot over the past year and 5-6 gallon carboys seem pretty easy now, but in 10 years I can imagine switching to 3 gallons.

when im 60, maybe it'll be 1 gallon...

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2020, 05:15:49 am »
A few years ago I was working a lot, hadn't been to the gym in years and so on. I decided to just do 3 gallon batches.

It was really manageable, and it slightly shortened my brew day.

I've been working out a lot over the past year and 5-6 gallon carboys seem pretty easy now, but in 10 years I can imagine switching to 3 gallons.

when im 60, maybe it'll be 1 gallon...

I’m 61 and brewing 5 and 10 gallon batches.  I have help lifting (a hoist) or move wort incrementally a few gallons at a time.  Work smarter, not harder (what I was told many, many times.). Cheers!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline scrap iron

• Assistant Brewer
  • K.C.
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2020, 06:08:42 am »
I don't have any stairs to deal with but I brew in a detached garage about 75 ft from the main house. My fermenter fridge is in the house garage. I'm older too and a little worn down so my wife bought me a nice cart to  carry my Anvil bucket, sanitizer bucket, water and all the other stuff. Adding a pump and this cart has made my life easier. It's the Country Tuff one for $100, got it on sale for around $75.

https://www.orschelnfarmhome.com/lawn-garden/lawn-equipment/garden-carts.html?p=1
« Last Edit: October 12, 2020, 06:12:10 am by scrap iron »
Mike F.                                                                              “I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer.”

Abraham Lincoln

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2020, 09:45:23 am »
I need to solve for the stairs thing in the coming years. At 52 I am still plenty strong enough to bring carboys full of mead up and down stairs but that could change fast. Short term I want to set up an electric brewery in my cellar that will include more temp control, including being able to keep mead in secondary around 70 for a couple months before long term cold storage in tertiary.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.