Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Sorry Guest, you are banned from posting and sending personal messages on this forum.
This ban is set to expire October 13, 2024, 08:19:18 am.

Author Topic: Fest Bier  (Read 5806 times)

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
Fest Bier
« on: September 15, 2020, 04:40:32 pm »
Well...here it is. And Bel Air Brewing is on their 50th gallon of this fine seasonal bier! Having just brewed 30 gallons, and yesterday another 20 gallons, we thought this was good enough to share.

A local brewer, and former brewery employee told us this was the best Oktoberfest he has ever had.

Super easy recipe:

For 10 gallons -

8 lbs pale or Pils malt
8 lbs Vienna Malt
8 lbs Munich Malt

2.5 oz Mt. Hood Hops 6.5 AA (FWH)

18 gallons filtered city tap water...no other chemical additions, please!

90 minute boil / ferment at 48 F.

Wyeast 2633

OG 1.058
ABV 4.8%

« Last Edit: September 15, 2020, 04:47:48 pm by TXFlyGuy »

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
Re: Fest Bier
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2020, 05:28:30 pm »
Mt. Hood is one of my favorite hops.  It was one of the five hops with which I brewed in the 90s.  Mt. Hood is only second to its sister Liberty.  Both of these hop cultivars are triploids (three sets of chromosomes); therefore, they are sterile and seedless.  Mt. Hood was created by taking Hallertau Mittlefruh and doubling its chromosomes via colchicine treatment to produce a tetraploid (four sets of chromosomes), which was bred back with a male diploid (two sets of chromosomes) to produce a triploid.  The same thing happened with Liberty.  However, to me, Liberty is the closest to Hallertau Mittlefruh. It is like a cross between Mt. Hood and Hallertau Mittlefruh aroma and taste-wise. I am certain that your beer is good.

Online pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2020, 06:10:56 pm »
I find the malt bill very appealing as well.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline Sanatorium

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2020, 05:50:37 am »
You don't find this overly sweet finishing at 1.021?  :o

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2020, 08:40:55 am »

No, not at all. Very well balanced between the malt, the hops, and overall body.

None of us detected much if any residual sweetness. It is not dry in finish either. The actual FG was lower than 1.02X, 1.01X is what the calculator showed.

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2020, 08:43:29 am »
I find the malt bill very appealing as well.

This malt bill creates the classic color for an American Fest Bier. This might be our best effort so far. The recipe was suggested by TX Brewing Inc., the store where we obtain most of our ingredients.

We use Ireks Malt exclusively now.

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2020, 08:45:17 am »

High FG  does not necessarily imply sweetness
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2020, 10:52:26 am »

Keep in mind that the ABV could easily be 5.0, 5.4, or more. My numbers are a WAG, using a refractometer with alcohol present, and then using an online calculator. It’s probably closer to 5.5% based on our drinking tests.

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2020, 10:54:29 am »

around 1.020 is when I start perceiving beers to have an unfermented like sweetness to them.

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2020, 10:58:34 am »
Mt. Hood is one of my favorite hops.  It was one of the five hops with which I brewed in the 90s.  Mt. Hood is only second to its sister Liberty.  Both of these hop cultivars are triploids (three sets of chromosomes); therefore, they are sterile and seedless.  Mt. Hood was created by taking Hallertau Mittlefruh and doubling its chromosomes via colchicine treatment to produce a tetraploid (four sets of chromosomes), which was bred back with a male diploid (two sets of chromosomes) to produce a triploid.  The same thing happened with Liberty.  However, to me, Liberty is the closest to Hallertau Mittlefruh. It is like a cross between Mt. Hood and Hallertau Mittlefruh aroma and taste-wise. I am certain that your beer is good.

YES!!!
I worked at  homebrew shop in the early 2000's, and I recall the smell of fresh Mt. Hood. It really is an underappreciated hop.

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2020, 11:12:59 am »
I have made many Festbier recipes over the years and I keep simplifying it.  Some very good German brewers mentioned that it could be as simple as 50/50 pilsner/Munich 2 and one hop addition at the start of the boil for about 25 IBUs.  I did a few that way and eventually went with 65/35 Pils/Munich 2 and then either Spalt or Hallertau and my yeast of choice is Omega Bayern.  The result is a beer that is simple and more pale than you might think.  I have a batch of this that has been lagering now for about 8 weeks and it will be brought out shortly.  Here's a shot of the one from 2019.

Here's one that was 50/50...

« Last Edit: September 16, 2020, 11:16:35 am by Village Taphouse »
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2020, 11:17:05 am »

around 1.020 is when I start perceiving beers to have an unfermented like sweetness to them.

But it it's balanced by bitterness I have no issues with an FG like that.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2020, 11:38:55 am »
I have made many Festbier recipes over the years and I keep simplifying it.  Some very good German brewers mentioned that it could be as simple as 50/50 pilsner/Munich 2 and one hop addition at the start of the boil for about 25 IBUs.  I did a few that way and eventually went with 65/35 Pils/Munich 2 and then either Spalt or Hallertau and my yeast of choice is Omega Bayern.  The result is a beer that is simple and more pale than you might think.  I have a batch of this that has been lagering now for about 8 weeks and it will be brought out shortly.  Here's a shot of the one from 2019.

Here's one that was 50/50...

While at the Paulaner Restuarant in Frankfurt, and drinking their Fest Bier, it looked exactly like your sample from 2019. Oktoberfest biers over there are much more pale in color.

Might try that 65/35 grain bill. I like that color!

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2020, 12:11:21 pm »
There is always a bit of muddy water around the style too... Oktoberfest, Export Helles, Tent Beer.  I think there is room for all of these styles but it seems like most of the beer being consumed in the tents is a stronger version of a helles which I think is the most popular beer style in Bavaria during the rest of the year.  I used to add CaraMunich, Aromatic, etc. but at some point I realized it wasn't necessary.  German recipes are often SIMPLE even if their processes are not.  I'm looking forward to this upcoming batch and will snap a pic and post it.  Cheers.
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2020, 12:32:41 pm »
I have one currently in the fermenter:
74% pilsner
14% munich II
12% munich I

S-189/w3470 blend

Basically took my helles bock and brought the gravity down...
« Last Edit: September 16, 2020, 01:19:42 pm by Iliff Ave Brewhouse »
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale