Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: what pressure to carbonate root beer  (Read 1765 times)

Offline sjungdahl

• 1st Kit
what pressure to carbonate root beer
« on: December 22, 2020, 03:09:56 pm »
I'm getting me 3gal keg, co2, regulator and hoses next week. I'm planning on using Sprechers syrup for first batch. I was raised in Chicago when Dog n Suda and A&W were using the old midwest recipe. It's hard to find now. Sprechers is close.
My question is - what pressure and for how long to carbonate root beer this way and what pressure for serving?

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: what pressure to carbonate root beer
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2020, 03:33:20 pm »
Back when I used to make the Sprechers for my kids I'd put the co2 up to 20-25 psi and have them shake it the hell out of it until it was carbonated. I have a soda tap with a restrictor so I'd serve it at about that psi. If you don't have the soda tap/restrictor you may have a hard time serving it at the psi it is supposed iot be served at.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2020, 03:50:40 pm »
The stuff I get at my local A&W is on the low carbonation side, almost in the ballpark of a cask ale. Most soda I hit with 30 or even 35 PSI, but if I were to try an A&W style root beer, I'd probably shoot for 15PSI. (This is using a carbonator cap on a soda bottle with about 1/3 of the bottle empty headspace)
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline MNWayne

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2020, 08:59:47 pm »
I do 15psi, it's a compromise between desired carbonation and serving force. I recommend the Sprechers orange-cream.
Far better to dare mighty things....