Author Topic: Omega Lutra Kveik  (Read 267 times)

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life.
Omega Lutra Kveik
« on: September 06, 2020, 06:56:31 PM »
Pitched one pouch into a Vienna Lager wort - at 11:30 am, 83F; steady CO2 Bubbling by 1:30 pm.  If this tastes as good as it starts, there will be one more Kveik convert....But I am still a slight skeptic on this as a lager.  For those with experience on this strain- after it finishes, do you cold crash just like a typical lager routine?
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Omega Lutra Kveik
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2020, 07:26:18 PM »
Pitched one pouch into a Vienna Lager wort - at 11:30 am, 83F; steady CO2 Bubbling by 1:30 pm.  If this tastes as good as it starts, there will be one more Kveik convert....But I am still a slight skeptic on this as a lager.  For those with experience on this strain- after it finishes, do you cold crash just like a typical lager routine?

I certainly haven't tasted all the kveik strains, but none that I have tasted are anywhere near clean.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2020, 07:46:43 PM »
That is my impression, as well, Denny.  Hornindal, Voss, Jernes, all were not striking the pleasurable chord on my palate.  I thought I would give this one a try, since I mostly brew lagers and this strain is supposed to be “lagerish” in its clean profile.  I’ll report back.  If it is pleasant, then I might do a split wort and see what others say in a side by side or triangle test.  It might be difficult to line up tasters under the present circumstances....

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2020, 07:50:36 PM »
Excited to hear your impressions! I've usually cold crashed my kveik beers, but it's been a mixed bag in terms of clarity.

I haven't tried Lutra, but Oslo stayed a bit hazy after cold crashing and is maybe an American ale substitute. Any reason not to do the split batch now? Then you at least have half you like.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2020, 07:54:28 PM »
Excited to hear your impressions! I've usually cold crashed my kveik beers, but it's been a mixed bag in terms of clarity.

I haven't tried Lutra, but Oslo stayed a bit hazy after cold crashing and is maybe an American ale substitute. Any reason not to do the split batch now? Then you at least have half you like.

. Well I would have to brew again, since this one is already going.  I prefer to use one wort fermented with different strains to keep the variables down between the batches being compared... so I will do a similar beer and make 10 gallons total, split into two Five gallon fermenters.

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2020, 06:54:08 PM »
It finished by late in the morning Tuesday and I racked it to keg on Tuesday evening.  I will sample it tonight or tomorrow and see what it tastes like.  The little bit in the hydrometer seemed a bit yeasty, but at 80 degrees, I don’t think it was representative of a cooler and carbonated beer.

Offline Cliffs

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2020, 09:24:37 PM »
I have used the original Skare culture that I believe Lutra was isolated from. Its pretty clean and light bodied. I dont think you can make a lager without lager yeast though, but it does make a clean tasting beer.

Offline Dave_s

• 1st Kit
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2020, 12:35:33 AM »
Looking at a dead clear Vienna made with Lutra. Tastes pretty good to me. It was fined, but Lutra seems to flock pretty hard. Love to hear other's impression. Way cleaner than some of the other Kveik strains I have used. Works well for clean ales as well. The other strains seem best for NEIPA. I have a few other lager grists in its future was very happy with a couple of ale builds and want to go super clean to really see the character.

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2020, 01:16:29 AM »
I have used the original Skare culture that I believe Lutra was isolated from. Its pretty clean and light bodied. I dont think you can make a lager without lager yeast though, but it does make a clean tasting beer.
Escarpments Krispy is a blend of two strains from the Skare culture. They note they taste similar to Oslo. I wasn't thrilled with Oslo as a "lager" yeast, but it seemed fine as an american ale replacement. It's a bit more work than chucking a packet of US-05 in though.

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2020, 11:43:28 AM »
I have a Helles side by side fermentation going now.  5 gallons Lutra repitch @75F and 5 gallons S -189 repitch at 56F.  The Lutra finished in 3 days and the S-189 is close to spunding at day 4.

I will repost when these two are sampled, side by side, blind, assuming I can line up tasters for a panel, otherwise I will have me and my wife serve each other blindly a few times.  At least it will be a data point.