Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 1st Brew, need advice  (Read 1337 times)

Offline SpecialJ77

• 1st Kit
1st Brew, need advice
« on: September 15, 2020, 05:12:50 pm »
Thanks in advance.  Brand new to the hobby and loving it.

I am brewing a belgian tripel as my first brew.  Yeast was Safale S-33 and I pitched it at wort temperature 75-80F.   I have followed the directions explicitly but My OG was higher than I expected at start.  It was 1.060 so I figured I would roll with it as a dubbel.  It has been in a fermenter for 9 days strictly temp controlled at 65-67F and my gravity is now 1.020.  I tasted it and it is very sweet and looks very cloudy.  (not unpleasant tasting but too sweet for beer IMO).  I plan on bottle conditioning straight from primary this week.  What is my solution at this point?  I counted on it not being a true tripel but I did not expect it to be this sweet.  Can I pitch more yeast at this point?  I feel like I should have bought an extra packet and pitched it to begin with.

Thanks for your advice.

Jason

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: 1st Brew, need advice
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2020, 05:23:04 am »
I am sure that pitching more yeast at the initial pitch would help you on your next batch.  For this one, you could try making a 1 quart starter (DME in water), and shake it up crazy, adding new yeast to it, and pitching that at high krausen into the main batch.

This is similar to adding speise- actively fermenting wort as in krausening.

Don’t let this setback hold your brewing back.  Cheers and welcome to the forum.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline SpecialJ77

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2020, 06:54:10 am »
I am sure that pitching more yeast at the initial pitch would help you on your next batch.  For this one, you could try making a 1 quart starter (DME in water), and shake it up crazy, adding new yeast to it, and pitching that at high krausen into the main batch.

This is similar to adding speise- actively fermenting wort as in krausening.

Don’t let this setback hold your brewing back.  Cheers and welcome to the forum.

Thanks, I am going to do exactly this and I will post results just in case anyone else has this issue.  I am reading oxygen might be a limiting factor too but not much I can do at this point due to potential oxidation issues? 

Offline spurviance

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2020, 09:05:30 am »
It may also just need a few more days to finish fermenting.  While 9 days should typically be enough time given the conditions you described, each fermentation can be different as there are so many variables.  Only when your SG remains constant for 2-3 days will you know that fermentation is complete. 
It's a fun hobby and a constant learning curve so hope you keep at it and enjoy your creations!
On tap,  Vienna Lager, Doppelbock, Dortmunder Export, Pale Ale, Porter, Saison

Fermenting, Saison

Offline SpecialJ77

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2020, 08:04:17 am »
Ok, I am now Krausening.  I was reading this method is used to carbonate beer as well.  Does this change anything regarding bottle conditioning?  (adding priming sugar mixture).  I just don't want any exploding bottles from over carbonating.  I am using flip-top bottles. 

Thanks.  I appreciate all the advice. 

Jason

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2020, 11:16:37 am »
I think you should be good to go, but bottle right after adding the yeast starter, as it will be rearing to go.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"