Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: First Quad  (Read 1099 times)

Offline Padrino39

• 1st Kit
First Quad
« on: August 30, 2020, 04:05:15 pm »
I'm still pretty new, have done two ambers that were pretty good and have an oktoberfest bubbling away in the fermenter right now. The next thing I'm planning is a belgian quad, and I know these are often pretty highly carbonated, but the recipee (kit from northern brewer) calls for the same amount of priming sugar as the other kits I've done. What I'm wondering is, if I want to achieve that higher carbonization, is it simply a matter of adding more sugar at bottling, and if I do that do I need thicker bottles? Have read some suggestions of adding champagne yeast at bottling and am considering that as well. Planning to bottle age for a few months at least. Any pointers would be appreciated, I'm hoping to achieve something close to St. Bernardus Abt 12, which is my very favorite beer.

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
Re: First Quad
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2020, 07:13:55 pm »
Use a priming sugar calculator based on the style you are brewing. I have often used this: https://www.northernbrewer.com/pages/priming-sugar-calculator
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2020, 07:41:40 pm »
Yep, I'm also planning my first really big one (10%). I don't intend it to be aged in carboy for any extra special amount of time, maybe 40 days at most then bottling.

I think I can get by without adding champagne yeast or re-yeasting?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2020, 08:32:11 am »
Yep, I'm also planning my first really big one (10%). I don't intend it to be aged in carboy for any extra special amount of time, maybe 40 days at most then bottling.

I think I can get by without adding champagne yeast or re-yeasting?

My experience says you're right.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2020, 09:55:36 pm »
thanks

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2020, 12:15:59 am »
Most bottles can handle 3.0 volumes of CO2 without a problem. If you're planning on pushing the 3.5-4.0 volume range, then you definitely want bottles built to handle that. When I was bottling my beer, I put all my bottles from Belgians and hefeweizens aside and reserved them for highly carbonated brews.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer