Author Topic: New Keezer Build  (Read 104 times)

Offline ajjensen147

• 1st Kit
New Keezer Build
« on: September 16, 2020, 02:36:07 PM »
Well, after moving in to my apartment back in May and finally getting my keezer moved in, I plugged it in only to find that it took a crap somewhere along the way. Thinking moving it may have cause a leak in the refrigerant lines. Every person I've talked to said trying to repair it myself isn't a great idea (not being very experienced with refrigeration), and getting someone in to fix it, I may as well buy a new freezer. Very disheartening, but at least the only significant loss was my time.  I had picked the freezer up off craigslist for about $70, plus some materials from Home Depot (lumber and construction adhesive for the collar, a couple cans of Rustoleum appliance epoxy and chalk board paint). The rest of the purchased items will be able to be used on Keezer 2.0!  Here's the current keezer, stripped of parts and awaiting recycling:

Luckily, my girlfriend, knowing how important this hobby is to me and being an absolute Saint, ordered me a brand new chest freezer as an early birthday present. I figured this would be a good opportunity to document my new keezer build, so I started this thread and will post pictures along the way.  Hoping to have the freezer by tomorrow afternoon, and have it up and running ready to serve by next week, or the following week at the latest, as I currently have 3 kegs sitting in the basement waiting to be carbed and enjoyed..

Offline joe_meadmaker

• Assistant Brewer
Re: New Keezer Build
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2020, 06:38:06 PM »
Your old keezer reminds me of mine (can be seen in this thread: https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=33771.0, although a bit larger.  Definitely sad saying farewell to an old friend.  I hope your new build goes well.  Looking forward to see your progress. :)

Offline ajjensen147

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2020, 03:21:30 PM »
First Update:

New chest freezer arrived this morning! Excited to get to work on the conversion this weekend.  If all goes according to plan I'll be enjoying a nice cold home brewed pint by next week.

Offline ajjensen147

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2020, 08:02:50 PM »
Got the collar for the new keezer made up this weekend, here it is clamped up after being glued together.

I was also able to paint the lid with Rustoleum chalkboard paint, the same way I did the previous lid, so I can jot down what's on each tap at any given time

And finally this morning I was able to get the collar attached to the freezer itself.  I decided to go with just silicone to adhere the collar to the freezer, rather than construction adhesive like I used last time.  I figured the silicone will adhere well enough, and if for whatever reason I want to remove the collar, I can do that without completely destroying the lip of the freezer. (Cameo from the 10 gallons of pale ale I brewed that's been sitting around waiting for this to be done)

Now it's just a matter of waiting until tomorrow afternoon for the silicone to cure fully, then I'll get it fired up, and sort out the details inside.