Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hefe  (Read 10550 times)

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Hefe
« Reply #45 on: November 05, 2020, 09:57:27 am »
Yes, that will work.  Ideally, the vessel must be at least 4 to 1 volume of the starter to assure reasonable O2 levels for the starter yeast, so go for it!  if the starter is at or near high krausen, you should have no problems.  I don't think we know precisely when high krausen is reached, but it would be in a matter of just a few hours, typically.  Some here make the SNS starter at the start of the brew day and pitch into their wort when the wort is down to pitching temperature; so the only other thing for you to consider is not "shocking" the yeast with a really cold wort...which you could attemperate by adding some of the cooled wort from the main batch slowly and a little at a time until it gets close to the main batch chilled temp before racking the whole of the main batch onto the starter in your Speidel.

Cheers.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Fire Rooster

« Reply #46 on: November 05, 2020, 10:05:32 am »
Yes, that will work.  Ideally, the vessel must be at least 4 to 1 volume of the starter to assure reasonable O2 levels for the starter yeast, so go for it!  if the starter is at or near high krausen, you should have no problems.  I don't think we know precisely when high krausen is reached, but it would be in a matter of just a few hours, typically.  Some here make the SNS starter at the start of the brew day and pitch into their wort when the wort is down to pitching temperature; so the only other thing for you to consider is not "shocking" the yeast with a really cold wort...which you could attemperate by adding some of the cooled wort from the main batch slowly and a little at a time until it gets close to the main batch chilled temp before racking the whole of the main batch onto the starter in your Speidel.

Cheers.

What is the ideal temperature range for the 1 liter of wort, before pitching yeast to make starter ?

Thanks
« Last Edit: November 05, 2020, 10:10:11 am by Fire Rooster »

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #47 on: November 05, 2020, 10:10:11 am »

Cheers.

What is the ideal temperature range for the 1 liter of wort, before pitching yeast.

Thanks

Not critical, but maybe mid 70s
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Fire Rooster

« Reply #48 on: November 05, 2020, 10:13:36 am »

Cheers.

What is the ideal temperature range for the 1 liter of wort, before pitching yeast.

Thanks

Is the 1 liter wort for starter critical ? or can it be 2 ?

Thanks

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #49 on: November 05, 2020, 11:12:46 am »

Cheers.

Thanks

Thanks

Why not 1?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Fire Rooster

« Reply #50 on: November 05, 2020, 12:39:53 pm »

Cheers.

Thanks

Thanks

Why not 1?

SOLD, one it is !

Thanks

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #51 on: November 05, 2020, 02:28:50 pm »

Cheers.

Thanks

Thanks

Why not 1?

SOLD, one it is !

Thanks

You can do 2L starters if you want.  I used to when I first began making starters but I found that for a 5 gallon batch a 1L starter was plenty.  Less cost and faster boil/chill -win/win for me.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #52 on: November 05, 2020, 02:53:09 pm »
You also might consider complaining to the homebrew shop you bought it from. 5 months is technically expired. They shouldn't be shipping anything older than 3 months and even with 3 months I'd make a starter.

I'll add: My LHBS used to simply give me yeast that was that old.

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
« Reply #53 on: November 05, 2020, 02:54:27 pm »
anyone have a source for one gallon pyrex bottles so that I could boil and chill the sns starter in one container?

Fire Rooster

« Reply #54 on: November 05, 2020, 03:00:25 pm »
You also might consider complaining to the homebrew shop you bought it from. 5 months is technically expired. They shouldn't be shipping anything older than 3 months and even with 3 months I'd make a starter.

It was from one of the 2 biggest online retailers.
I'll resist disparaging them online, I might call them to see where that goes.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2020, 03:12:52 pm by Fire Rooster »

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #55 on: November 05, 2020, 03:24:20 pm »
anyone have a source for one gallon pyrex bottles so that I could boil and chill the sns starter in one container?

A gallon pyrex with a screw on lid could be pretty expensive.  You can boil in half that size and pour into a sanitized gallon glass apple cider jug after it is cooled.  Not much extra effort, otherwise try an online scientific supply house and maybe e-Bay.  I once had a 5 liter graduated cylinder that a friend gave me.  A few brews in and I knocked it to the garage floor - that was that; I now know my limitations and don't trust my heavy handedness with good, but fragile equipment.  Apple jugs are cheap and pretty reliable, but you can't boil in them, of course.

Good luck and if you find a source, let us all know.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #56 on: November 05, 2020, 03:55:03 pm »

I use 2 L large mouth mason jars - I do not boil in them but you could give them a boiling water bath if you are that stresses. I run mine through the dishwasher and sanitize them with StarSan. I use these fermentation lids below. FYI they work with stirplates too.

https://www.amazon.com/AMZUShome-Fermenting-Waterless-Fermentation-Sauerkraut/dp/B078RL7LBT/ref=sr_1_3_sspa?crid=2U4KRIZZADF88&dchild=1&keywords=fermentation+lid+for+mason+jar&sprefix=fermentation+lid+%2Caps%2C179&sr=8-3-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUFBUE1GU1Y5U1VPTTMmZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTA3NTUzODVFOUc3Q0U5SFZOSlEmZW5jcnlwdGVkQWRJZD1BMDYyNzMzNDJSVEpLUDRMVlEySDMmd2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGYmYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #57 on: November 05, 2020, 04:13:12 pm »

I've had good service from NB and MB, when things have gone wrong they have both been eager to fix it.

Fire Rooster

« Reply #58 on: November 06, 2020, 10:10:48 am »

I've had good service from NB and MB, when things have gone wrong they have both been eager to fix it.
[/quote

Emailed MB about the yeast.
They're sending a replacement :>

Thanks
« Last Edit: November 06, 2020, 10:12:39 am by Fire Rooster »

Online BrewBama

Hefe
« Reply #59 on: November 06, 2020, 11:20:37 am »
Once I had an order come up short from NB. They not only made my order right but they gifted me $50 in store credit. I told them all I needed was my order corrected — a simple 1 oz bag of hops — but they insisted. 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk