Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Shoutout to universal poppets  (Read 2179 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Shoutout to universal poppets
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2020, 11:00:56 am »
Thx. Local is not an option here in Huntspatch.

I try to ck the health food store when I run downtown but she rarely has what I want. She can order it but then it takes two weeks. I then have to make another run to pick it whereas if I order it myself it’s delivered to my front door in about a week or less.

...or it’s mis-delivered to one of the neighbors and I get the added bonus of an Easter Egg hunt on the tractor. Never mind the fact that I have huge numbers on the post at my front door.  Maybe I should put up neon flashing lights.  ...but I digress.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
Re: Shoutout to universal poppets
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2020, 11:13:40 am »
Thx. Local is not an option here in Huntspatch.

I try to ck the health food store when I run downtown but she rarely has what I want. She can order it but then it takes two weeks. I then have to make another run to pick it whereas if I order it myself it’s delivered to my front door in about a week or less.

...or it’s mis-delivered to one of the neighbors and I get the added bonus of an Easter Egg hunt on the tractor. Never mind the fact that I have huge numbers on the post at my front door.  Maybe I should put up neon flashing lights.  ...but I digress.

I can relate. I live 30 mi. from town and seldom go anywhere that I absolutely don't have to.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline roger

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2020, 11:22:46 am »
thanks from me too. No local here in SC either.

Brewbama, you gave me a good tickle, its been a long time since I heard Huntspatch.
Roger

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2020, 11:33:11 am »
I've been using those a few months now and so far no complaints.  The poppet sometimes sticks up a bit above the post, but hasn't caused any problems.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline BrewBama

Shoutout to universal poppets
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2020, 12:04:14 pm »

Brewbama, you gave me a good tickle, its been a long time since I heard Huntspatch.

I was stationed in Savannah back in WW-Saudi so I know where Blufton is. We used to ride thru there. Good times.

When they replaced the original old cantilever Talmadge bridge across the Savannah River back in the ‘90(s), my CH-47 carried it out to sea to build fish reefs. The bridge they replaced her with is gorgeous but I understand it may need to be replaced if the port is to expand to service Neo-Panamax vessels.

I live about 30 min East of HSV over Chapman Mountain North of 72. We still have cotton/soybean and corn fields out here but the subdivisions are beginning to swallow them up turning this into a bedroom community.

My house is off the end of a dead end road on the side of Berry Mountain. If anybody shows up out here they’re either lost or trying to find us.

« Last Edit: November 19, 2020, 12:09:36 pm by BrewBama »

Fire Rooster

« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2020, 02:19:15 pm »

I was stationed in Savannah back in WW-Saudi so I know where Blufton is. We used to ride thru there. Good times.

When they replaced the original old cantilever Talmadge bridge across the Savannah River back in the ‘90(s), my CH-47 carried it out to sea to build fish reefs. The bridge they replaced her with is gorgeous but I understand it may need to be replaced if the port is to expand to service Neo-Panamax vessels.

I live about 30 min East of HSV over Chapman Mountain North of 72. We still have cotton/soybean and corn fields out here but the subdivisions are beginning to swallow them up turning this into a bedroom community.

My house is off the end of a dead end road on the side of Berry Mountain. If anybody shows up out here they’re either lost or trying to find us.

Did you go to Rucker for the right of passage like I did ?

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2020, 03:46:13 pm »
No. I was Avn Maintenance. I went to Eustis for school. ...but I’ve been to Mother Rucker many, many times.

Online goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2020, 07:31:42 am »
My brew buddy has an accoun t with Foxx and I get them from there.  When he places ann order with them, he asks if I need anything and I throw a few on his order.  I now have a pretty good supply.

Just make sure that when ordering them that the small o-ring gaskets are on the top of the poppet.  I got some once that didn't have any and had to order them separately.  That only happened to me once, but caveat emptor.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2020, 09:04:08 am »
My brew buddy has an accoun t with Foxx and I get them from there.  When he places ann order with them, he asks if I need anything and I throw a few on his order.  I now have a pretty good supply.

Just make sure that when ordering them that the small o-ring gaskets are on the top of the poppet.  I got some once that didn't have any and had to order them separately.  That only happened to me once, but caveat emptor.

The ones in the link I posted actually come with spare gaskets

www.dennybrew.com

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2020, 02:06:28 pm »
Anyone have good luck on using these on a pin lock keg?  I was given a pin lock keg from a friend and purchased a new lid and universal poppets, but I’m having a touch time holding pressure.

Hi it's me, the only other pin lock keg user out there.

I have some universal poppets and they will work on your pin lock kegs with some work. They are fine on the three gallon pin lock kegs I own but difficult to work with on five gallon kegs. I guess the posts are a little shorter on those (at least the ones I have) and the springs are a little too stiff to work easily. They will loosen a little over time but early on it is tough to get the top of the poppet to sit right and maintain a seal. You have to be careful about screwing down the post to make sure it is seated correctly.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline waltsmalt

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2020, 07:21:17 pm »
Just ordered some.  Thanks for sharing the link, Denny.

Offline roger

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2020, 07:22:21 am »
I ordered some from Denny's post above, #15. They came in yesterday. I've had my ball lock kegs for 20+ years, so the poppets are at least that old. I had replaced the orings a few times. My observations with the universal poppets when using ball lock kegs:

-They do fit both gas and beverage posts.
-The springs are much longer than the originals and provide more closing force. They do not have the three little prongs which hold the springs in place while you screw the post onto the keg, but I had no problems installing them. After years of removing them for cleaning, the prongs didn't hold very well anymore.
-Like Denny mentioned, the poppets extend higher from the top of the post than the originals. On mine two of the four are a little higher than the other two. Installing the QD's is a little harder, but I pressure checked two different kegs with four new poppets, and they worked well. With time, the springs may loosen a bit, IDK.
-I purchased two replace gas posts, with new poppets before knowing you can buy just the poppets. They were $7-8 each. These are significantly cheaper, but still not a huge investment unless you have several kegs.
-They did come with the spare orings.
Roger

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2020, 07:53:09 am »
I have some older kegs that they were a little long for. Some work with a file on the spring's bottom shortened them. Worked fine.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!