Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Diamond lager data point  (Read 1121 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Diamond lager data point
« on: September 20, 2020, 12:35:12 pm »
I brewed 12 gal. of 1.049 Vienna lager wort.  Split it into 2 6 gal. batches.  Pitched 2 packs of Diamond into one, one pack in the other at 50F.  No rehydration or aeration.  The 2 pack took off in 24 hours, the one pack in 48.  Kegged yesterday.  Same FG, same flavor.....no difference at all.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2020, 03:39:47 pm by denny »
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
Re: Diamond lager data point
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2020, 12:49:17 pm »
Interesting. I’d say it’s an affirmation that pitching rate isn’t a huge factor in brewing. I think it’s mostly insurance against infection.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2020, 01:52:03 pm »
Interesting. I’d say it’s an affirmation that pitching rate isn’t a huge factor in brewing. I think it’s mostly insurance against infection.

I pretty much always pitch one pack of dry yeast for both ales and lagers under 1.075.  I've never actually tested it til now, but it's nice to know that my perception of it being OK is correct.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2020, 03:36:01 pm »

That is correct.  Pitch rates are a way to avoid having bacteria take over the fermentation.  However, attention to detail and good sanitization protocols reduce the threat from infection. Lagers are unique in that they are fermented cold.  Lager brewing made brewing on an industrial scale possible because bacteria does not possess the cryotolerance that lager yeast strains possess.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2020, 07:47:56 pm »
I wouldn't say that it isn't a huge factor in all brewing, but in styles that aren't dependent on yeast-derived flavors I think this is accurate. In styles like English ales and hefeweizens, I find that a bigger pitch leads to less ester character in my beers.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2020, 08:17:35 pm »
After the one day delay in start, did they finish in the same amount of time?  Or, after the lag difference, did the 2 pack finish in X days and the 1 pack finish in X+? days?

The reason I ask: When I would pitch 1 pack of 34/70 I recall sluggish fermentation + the long lag (a cpl weeks total) vs a faster fermentation + shorter lag for a higher pitch rate.

I recall complaining on this forum about my lengthy ferments and Robert described his much quicker ferments. That’s the conversation that caused me to begin looking into mfr recommended pitch rates which has decreased both lag and length of ferments, and as a result total time in the fermenter.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2020, 08:06:30 am »
After the one day delay in start, did they finish in the same amount of time?  Or, after the lag difference, did the 2 pack finish in X days and the 1 pack finish in X+? days?

The reason I ask: When I would pitch 1 pack of 34/70 I recall sluggish fermentation + the long lag (a cpl weeks total) vs a faster fermentation + shorter lag for a higher pitch rate.

I recall complaining on this forum about my lengthy ferments and Robert described his much quicker ferments. That’s the conversation that caused me to begin looking into mfr recommended pitch rates which has decreased both lag and length of ferments, and as a result total time in the fermenter.

I think they finished at the same time, or close enough that it didn't matter. I'd have to go check my notes to be certain.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2020, 10:46:16 am »
is diamond very different from 34/70?

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2020, 11:28:39 am »
is diamond very different from 34/70?

I haven't done a side by side, but my impression is that it_may_ be a bit crisper.  But very close.

www.dennybrew.com