Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Best Ale Yeast?  (Read 4480 times)

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: Best Ale Yeast?
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2020, 08:25:18 pm »
I never cold crash.  I let a beer clear on its own schedule. The reality is that if a NewFlo strain is in suspension, it still has work to do. NewFlo strains floc and clear on their own schedule. If a strain has not started to clear, leave it alone. When you see signs of clearing, leave it alone. When there is at least 50% clear beer, go ahead and cold crash.  Impatience is a brewer's worst enemy.

+1
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Online Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Best Ale Yeast?
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2020, 09:50:09 pm »
I have repitched 97 a few times and it still started sluggish (for what I would expect) however I was not inside the fermenter. As far as flocculation, I normally cold crash to 30F for a few days and fine with gelatin which makes reasonably bright beers for me. This has not been the case with 97.

Maybe, you are cold crashing too early.  I never cold crash.  I let a beer clear on its own schedule. The reality is that if a NewFlo strain is in suspension, it still has work to do. NewFlo strains floc and clear on their own schedule. If a strain has not started to clear, leave it alone. When you see signs of clearing, leave it alone. When there is at least 50% clear beer, go ahead and cold crash.  Impatience is a brewer's worst enemy.

I agree
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale