Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Lager Cellar  (Read 763 times)

Offline Vbrown89

• 1st Kit
Lager Cellar
« on: September 18, 2020, 09:01:40 pm »
Good (fill in here depending where you are in the world) Everybody,
  I searched and searched the forum and haven't found anything on the original lager cellars, or caves, where beer was fermented. Has anyone been to one of these places, and if so how cold are they? I'm finally working toward my first lager after 6 years of ales, and I'm trying to imagine a cave that's 35 degrees?

Thanks for all the helpful, and humorous tips on here!

Vince
Vbrown89
Life Member AHA
Brewing since 2014
I like my water flavored with hops and barley

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
Re: Lager Cellar
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2020, 05:40:07 am »
I made a root cellar that I have used for lagering. It is a walled off section of my cellar that I insulated and used dryer vent to allow cold outside air to come in. I store onions, garlic, root vegetables, leeks, etc. with great success.
It doesn’t quite get down to 35 but it gets down to the low 40s December through February. I originally intended to set up a fan and thermostat system to have it more actively pull in cold air but it’s done it’s job with the passive system so I haven’t bothered.
Obviously this only works in some parts of the country.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2020, 05:47:33 am »
I've been in several. Those are usually 3-4 C year-round, deep in the rock. Often there are trees that shade the ground above.

Remember that those are at northern Latitudes. Some are at more than 1500 ft. One I was in was at 3500 ft altitude.

Some are expansive with high ceilings, Pilner Urquel. Others are more modest. The smallest was in the Hillside in the Kellerwald in Forchheim, no Brewery attached to that one. I'm 5'8", and had to duck my head often.

This has interior shots at 1:00 in.

https://youtu.be/Qudet-CqreE
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline roger

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2020, 07:06:02 am »
Thanks for the video! Now in the mood for Oktoberfest.
Roger

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2020, 01:13:51 pm »
D.G. Yuengling in Pottsville, PA has lagering caves that were dug in the nineteenth century.

Here is a link to a video of the caves: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjb_9Z4UlL4&feature=emb_logo