Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Weihenstephaner Festbier versus Sierra Nevada Oktoberfest  (Read 2590 times)

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
Weihenstephaner Festbier versus Sierra Nevada Oktoberfest
« on: September 20, 2020, 03:58:57 pm »
I was amazed by Sierra Nevada Oktoberfest this year.  It is just an amazing beer.  The flavors just pop. However, what blew me away about Sierra Nevada's 2020 offering occurred after tasting Weihenstephaner's 2020 Festbier.  Sierra Nevada has always produced good, but slightly understated lager.  I loved their Maibock before it was called Glissade Pale Bock. However, their Oktoberfest this year takes Sierra Nevada's state of the art lager brewing to a completely different level. Sierra Nevada can hold its own when compared against Weihenstephaner Festbier, which is an amazing beer from one of the masters of lager brewing. It says a lot when an American brewer can hold its own against one of the best in the business.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2020, 04:00:57 pm by Saccharomyces »

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Weihenstephaner Festbier versus Sierra Nevada Oktoberfest
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2020, 05:51:23 pm »
I was amazed by Sierra Nevada Oktoberfest this year.  It is just an amazing beer.  The flavors just pop. However, what blew me away about Sierra Nevada's 2020 offering occurred after tasting Weihenstephaner's 2020 Festbier.  Sierra Nevada has always produced good, but slightly understated lager.  I loved their Maibock before it was called Glissade Pale Bock. However, their Oktoberfest this year takes Sierra Nevada's state of the art lager brewing to a completely different level. Sierra Nevada can hold its own when compared against Weihenstephaner Festbier, which is an amazing beer from one of the masters of lager brewing. It says a lot when an American brewer can hold its own against one of the best in the business.
I agree the Sierra Nevada Oktoberfest is great this year. I wish I could make that beer.

I haven’t had the Weihenstephaner Festbier to compare.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2020, 06:17:16 am by tommymorris »

Offline purduekenn

• Brewer
Re: Weihenstephaner Festbier versus Sierra Nevada Oktoberfest
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2020, 06:09:17 am »
It is delicious!

Offline ravenwater

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2020, 10:40:58 am »
My son supplied me with a bottle of the Sierra Nevada Oktoberfest yesterday and I'll agree - - most impressive! Far superior for my tastes to most domestically brewed versions of the style. It's clean, not heavy on the melanoidin/overly malty aspect that I find so many have - - much more authentic and bonus, it's fresh!!
Shawn Crawford  -  Rio Rancho, NM.  
 BJCP, Worthogs Homebrew Club of New Mexico

Life is good. Beer makes it gooder.

narvin

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2020, 03:14:04 pm »
Sierra Nevada makes excellent beers, for sure.  I love the Kellerweiss and it was really cool to see the open fermentation tanks at their beautiful Asheville brewery.

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2020, 03:16:12 pm »
Sierra Nevada makes excellent beers, for sure.  I love the Kellerweiss and it was really cool to see the open fermentation tanks at their beautiful Asheville brewery.
It looks like my visit to that area in two weeks will not include a tour of SN.  Closed to tours possibly until the end of the year, dang it.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2020, 03:55:12 pm »
I think you can get takeout/takeaway, but that is about it.

Go to Zebulon if they are open while you are in town. Burning Blush should be open in the Mills River area.

If you need any suggestions lemme know.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2020, 04:50:18 pm »

Go to Zebulon if they are open while you are in town. Burning Blush should be open in the Mills River area.

Another vote for Zebulon
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Online mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2020, 06:18:28 pm »
I must have had a bad 6 pack of SN Ofest.  I found it quite uncharacteristic of a typical Ofest.  Far too bitter and lacking the malt flavor I expect in the style.  Several others in my local club thought the same.

I've got a 6 of Spaten Ofest that is stellar.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2020, 06:33:39 pm »
I must have had a bad 6 pack of SN Ofest.  I found it quite uncharacteristic of a typical Ofest.  Far too bitter and lacking the malt flavor I expect in the style.  Several others in my local club thought the same.

I haven’t had many German Festbiers so it’s hard for me to speak intelligently about those. But, I think this year’s SN Oktoberfest follows the trend they have set over the last few years with their collaboration Festbiers. I will say that calling this an Oktoberfest and only pointing out that it is a Festbier in the label narrative is a bit confusing. I was expecting a more traditional American Oktoberfest. I was happily surprised when that is not what I got.

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2020, 05:44:51 am »

Another vote for Zebulon
I went to Zebulon this past June and they had 5 different lagers on tap that were all excellent. Another vote here!
Dan Chisholm

Offline ravenwater

• Brewer
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2020, 09:07:11 am »

I love the Spaten when I can get a 6-pack that's been treated well. It's been my favorite of the import German fest beers. I'm a lover of German beer styles but over the years have become quite leery of purchasing those imports, especially in green bottles, as I've found it very hit-or-miss for stale versus fresh-ish samples. As my beer palate has been refined over the years it's harder to enjoy staled or skunked beers. 20 years ago I could enjoy a German green bottle beer without being distracted by particular "flaws." That's the problem with having a better palate for off flavors - the more I know, the fewer beers I can truly enjoy. Can't unring that bell.
Shawn Crawford  -  Rio Rancho, NM.  
 BJCP, Worthogs Homebrew Club of New Mexico

Life is good. Beer makes it gooder.

Offline Sanatorium

• 1st Kit
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2020, 11:23:48 am »

Add another one here.

Offline Pawel Cetlinski

• 1st Kit
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2020, 10:09:56 pm »
In my opinion it was way too high on hops. If we're talking about an American interpretation of Octoberfest beer than yes its perfect, but to me it was way too high on hops, covering the bready malts.
All in all, a beer worth trying.

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2020, 08:43:23 am »
I had a pint of SN’s Festbier yesterday.  I found it had more hop flavor than better examples and the malt flavor was a little harsh, sort of background roasty.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995