Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Weihenstephaner Festbier versus Sierra Nevada Oktoberfest  (Read 2638 times)

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
Re: Weihenstephaner Festbier versus Sierra Nevada Oktoberfest
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2020, 08:12:35 pm »
I must have had a bad 6 pack of SN Ofest.  I found it quite uncharacteristic of a typical Ofest.  Far too bitter and lacking the malt flavor I expect in the style.  Several others in my local club thought the same.

If you are comparing SN Oktoberfest to the typical Marzen-style festbier, then yes, it is more bitter and less caramelly.  However, it is almost a dead-ringer for the year's Weihenstephaner Festbier. 

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2020, 10:05:34 am »
I must have had a bad 6 pack of SN Ofest.  I found it quite uncharacteristic of a typical Ofest.  Far too bitter and lacking the malt flavor I expect in the style.  Several others in my local club thought the same.

If you are comparing SN Oktoberfest to the typical Marzen-style festbier, then yes, it is more bitter and less caramelly.  However, it is almost a dead-ringer for the year's Weihenstephaner Festbier.

I think we need to do away with the term Oktoberfest as it seems to confuse a lot of people (at least Americans). I think we should just stick to Marzen or Festbier. From what I understand, an older style of "oktoberfest" is a marzen while the more modern "oktoberfest" is a festbier?
« Last Edit: October 01, 2020, 10:17:04 am by Iliff Ave Brewhouse »
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2020, 10:17:34 am »
That is correct. The big 6 have been serving Festbier for about 30 years.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline ravenwater

• Brewer
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2020, 02:22:17 pm »

I think we need to do away with the term Oktoberfest as it seems to confuse a lot of people (at least Americans). I think we should just stick to Marzen or Festbier. From what I understand, an older style of "oktoberfest" is a marzen while the more modern "oktoberfest" is a festbier?

Agreed, though undoing the concept of Oktoberfest beer among American consumers might be an impossible task at this point. I think you can use marzen fairly interchangeably with many American's understanding of and drinking experience with "Oktoberfest" beer. I believe there's a romanticized attachment to the term Oktoberfest in relation to beer styles in this country ("Oh look, we're celebrating just like the Germans do!" - and Americans generally, I believe, presume we're drinking beers like the Germans are drinking). I do encourage my beery peers to discriminate between festbier versus marzen versus Americanized "Oktoberfest" that may be a good representation of neither but many find to be delicious nonetheless. That's my 2 cents worth.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2020, 04:07:00 pm by ravenwater »
Shawn Crawford  -  Rio Rancho, NM.  
 BJCP, Worthogs Homebrew Club of New Mexico

Life is good. Beer makes it gooder.

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2020, 04:30:36 pm »
I had a pint of SN’s Festbier yesterday.  I found it had more hop flavor than better examples and the malt flavor was a little harsh, sort of background roasty.
Oops. The beer I had that day on draft was not SN, but one from a Michigan brewery. I will get some fresh SN next week while I’m near the brewery.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2020, 03:35:24 pm »
It is interesting how many American craft lovers will gravitate to the "Americanized Octo".  I have to always ask them to distinguish what they want me to brew for the Oktoberfest season - Octoberfest in the American sense, Marzen-style lager, Vienna Lager, Fest Bier, German Helles Exportbier, Helles, etc...usually they will opt for the Americanized Octoberfest, meaning as malty rich and even caramel-leaning as they can get.

I will have to try this years' Weihenstephaner Festbier, if I can get it fresh - usually a questionable venture.  The SN Festbier is probably all that I will be able to find in that rarified air for this style.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline waltsmalt

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2020, 04:52:14 pm »
I had a six pack of the SN Oktoberfest and thought it was excellent, and I really don't care for the style if I'm honest.  Good to see an American brewery making a decent Oktoberfest as most of them I really can't stand.  When I fall for a commercial version in the liquor store, they end up as "hockey beers."  The ones you load in the cooler for after hockey just hoping someone will take them. 

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2020, 09:59:51 pm »
It is interesting how many American craft lovers will gravitate to the "Americanized Octo".  I have to always ask them to distinguish what they want me to brew for the Oktoberfest season - Octoberfest in the American sense, Marzen-style lager, Vienna Lager, Fest Bier, German Helles Exportbier, Helles, etc...usually they will opt for the Americanized Octoberfest, meaning as malty rich and even caramel-leaning as they can get.

I will have to try this years' Weihenstephaner Festbier, if I can get it fresh - usually a questionable venture.  The SN Festbier is probably all that I will be able to find in that rarified air for this style.

Around here it seems that Oktoberfest has gravitated toward pretty good marzen and the sweet excessive American ofest has gone by the wayside. Very welcome change.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale