Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: First Stout  (Read 1433 times)

Offline Tfwebster

• Assistant Brewer
First Stout
« on: September 17, 2020, 05:48:29 pm »
I am brewing a stout with toasted oats. 5 gallons on a system with relatively low efficiency (68%...I'm working on it!).  I'm milling my own grains for the first time. Suggestions appreciated.

10 lb Maris Otter
1.5 lb flaked oats
1 lb Bairds Caramel/ Crystal
1 lb. Breiss Chocolate
8 oz Bairds roasted barley
1.75 Fuggle at 60
0.75 Kent Goldings at 30
1 tsp Irish Moss at 15
WLP004

Mash 60 minutes at 160F
90 minute boil

I will likely add ground cocoa nibs to the fermenter with one week left and whole bean coffee in the last  three days through cold crash.

I should note I will likely swap out a couple of the above with grains from Riverbend Malthouse.

Thanks
If reading about homebrewing is your thing, join Brewer's Book Club at  https://www.facebook.com/groups/754108348475546/

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: First Stout
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2020, 03:58:17 pm »
I like the use of Maris Otter, but that is a lot of chocolate and roasted barley for my taste. I use about half that amount.
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline Tfwebster

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2020, 07:35:42 pm »
Thanks for the reply!
If reading about homebrewing is your thing, join Brewer's Book Club at  https://www.facebook.com/groups/754108348475546/

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2020, 09:59:02 pm »
Maybe bring the chocolate down a bit?
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline MNWayne

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2020, 08:26:55 am »
I'd back off on the chocolate and either increase the roasted or use some Carafa.  I don't like crystal, so I'd eliminate it.  Also no need for irish moss.
Far better to dare mighty things....

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2020, 03:20:27 pm »
yup, imho a really good stout base is the eternal 80% pale 10% high-lovibond (+450) roasted barley and 10% flaked barley.

if you wanted to modify it from there, maybe add a few ounces chocolate or crystal.

i've been thinking about a stout of 75% pale, 5% roasted barley, 10% brown malt, 10% flaked barley. any thoughts? i really want to try it.

Offline Nujackk

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2020, 05:56:28 pm »
I am brewing a stout with toasted oats. 5 gallons on a system with relatively low efficiency (68%...I'm working on it!).  I'm milling my own grains for the first time. Suggestions appreciated.

10 lb Maris Otter
1.5 lb flaked oats
1 lb. Breiss Chocolate
1.75 Fuggle at 60
0.75 Kent Goldings at 30
1 tsp Irish Moss at 15
WLP004

Mash 60 minutes at 160F
90 minute boil

I will likely add ground cocoa nibs to the fermenter with one week left and whole bean coffee in the last  three days through cold crash.

I should note I will likely swap out a couple of the above with grains from Riverbend Malthouse.

Thanks
Try adding some rice hulls to mash probably help your efficiency. Especially with the oats

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2020, 07:47:58 am »
What you will have will make a good beer but a couple of thoughts. Swap the chocolate malt with the roasted barley. Feel free to add the cacao nibs if that's what you are going for but if it is your very first stout recipe you might consider leaving them out of at least half the batch so that you can evaluate your base beer without confusing where the flavors are coming from.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2020, 08:08:44 am »

10 lb Maris Otter
1.5 lb flaked oats
1 lb. Breiss Chocolate
1.75 Fuggle at 60
0.75 Kent Goldings at 30
1 tsp Irish Moss at 15
WLP004

Mash 60 minutes at 160F
90 minute boil

Thanks
Try adding some rice hulls to mash probably help your efficiency. Especially with the oats

Maybe, but it's very system dependent.  With my system, for instance, it would do nothing.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2020, 05:08:10 pm »
That looks like a pretty good stout recipe to me. Sure, it won't be a dry Irish stout. But it will be a stout. If you are aiming for something like Samuel Smith's oatmeal stout, this will get you in the ballpark.