Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Mash Recirculation Manifold  (Read 3689 times)

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
Mash Recirculation Manifold
« on: September 22, 2020, 07:54:44 am »
Looking at several options, including building a manifold.

But here is a crazy thought...can we take a plastic bucket, drill small holes in the bottom and around the lower perimeter, suspend it over the grain bed, and run the liquid through it? For even dispersion over the grain?

Cheap, and effective. One of the brew partners is hyper-cheap.

Any thoughts?

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
Re: Mash Recirculation Manifold
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2020, 07:59:12 am »

But here is a crazy thought...can we take a plastic bucket, drill small holes in the bottom and around the lower perimeter, suspend it over the grain bed, and run the liquid through it? For even dispersion over the grain?

Any thoughts?
My first mash tun was a Zapap, described in Charlie Papazian's books.  It was a bucket with dozens of holes in another bucket with a tap.  It worked great for many years until I bought  Phil's Phalse Bottom.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2020, 08:45:38 am »

Any thoughts?

You sure can.  You'll likely oxidize the crap out of your mash, but you can do it.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline kpfoleyjr

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2020, 09:15:31 am »
I had used a Baker’s Square pie plate that already had holes in it when I first started brewing with an Igloo cooler mash tun.  I now have an electric system with a HERMS mash tun.  For recirculating, I ditched the Blichmann Autosparge that came with the setup for a Loc-Line plastic hose with a circle flow nozzle kit - works great for continuous recirculation on top of the grain bed.

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2020, 09:27:58 am »

Any thoughts?

You sure can.  You'll likely oxidize the crap out of your mash, but you can do it.

More oxidation that we are now getting with the fire-hose recirc method? A hose that has a spigot, single stream, that is suspended above the grain bed. I am certain we have channeling / tunneling issues with this.

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2020, 09:28:54 am »
I had used a Baker’s Square pie plate that already had holes in it when I first started brewing with an Igloo cooler mash tun.  I now have an electric system with a HERMS mash tun.  For recirculating, I ditched the Blichmann Autosparge that came with the setup for a Loc-Line plastic hose with a circle flow nozzle kit - works great for continuous recirculation on top of the grain bed.

Do you have pictures, or an online source?

Found it: https://www.amazon.com/Loc-Line-Coolant-Circle-Nozzle-Piece/dp/B00065UDB0
« Last Edit: September 22, 2020, 09:30:29 am by TXFlyGuy »

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2020, 09:46:10 am »

Any thoughts?

More oxidation that we are now getting with the fire-hose recirc method? A hose that has a spigot, single stream, that is suspended above the grain bed. I am certain we have channeling / tunneling issues with this.

At least as much....cant really qualify it, though.  Your best bet would to return wort under the level of liquid in your mash tun.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Mash Recirculation Manifold
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2020, 10:05:03 am »
I used to return under the liquid level with just a hose positioned on one end of a rectangle cooler with the discharge valve at the other end. It seemed to work fairly well.

I now use a manifold to return under the grain bed:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2020, 10:32:21 am »
I used to return under the liquid level with just a hose positioned on one end of a rectangle cooler with the discharge valve at the other end. It seemed to work fairly well.

We would buy this, but it is 3/4" too wide in diameter. Our Mash Tun opening is exactly 12".

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2020, 11:00:03 am »

We would buy this, but it is 3/4" too wide in diameter. Our Mash Tun opening is exactly 12".

I don't think the exact mechanism is as important as returning below the wort/grain level.  On my Grainfatherl there's a perforated plate on top of the grain.  There are a couple inches of wort above the plate. I do my wort return with a hose on top of the plate, below the wort level.  The plate distributes it so there's no channelling.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline MattyAHA

• Brewer
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2020, 11:13:19 am »
oh so HSA is still a thing?
Matty

"This sweet nectar was my life blood"-  Phil "Landfill" krundle

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2020, 11:13:42 am »

I don't think the exact mechanism is as important as returning below the wort/grain level.  On my Grainfatherl there's a perforated plate on top of the grain.  There are a couple inches of wort above the plate. I do my wort return with a hose on top of the plate, below the wort level.  The plate distributes it so there's no channelling.

Makes sense. Thanks.

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2020, 11:47:55 am »
Think we will add one of these, a Pico-Style false bottom. This will sit on top of the grain bed, and evenly distribute the liquid over the grain.

https://www.homebrewing.org/SS-Pico-Style-False-Bottom-bottom-only-No-Feet_p_4587.html

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2020, 11:58:41 am »
Think we will add one of these, a Pico-Style false bottom. This will sit on top of the grain bed, and evenly distribute the liquid over the grain.

https://www.homebrewing.org/SS-Pico-Style-False-Bottom-bottom-only-No-Feet_p_4587.html

Looks like a good thing.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2020, 01:17:33 pm »

Do you have keggle? I do, 12 inch opening, 15 1/4 interior dia, the false bottom will fit. it might be tricky to get the two halves to match on top ofe the grain bed.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!