Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: overnight ferment or didn't start yet  (Read 1005 times)

Offline MattyAHA

• Brewer
overnight ferment or didn't start yet
« on: September 21, 2020, 12:03:13 pm »
i brewed a stout on sat, i did a few things new that i never did with my stout before. i built the water from distilled using black dry profile, i usually use sping water as is, no adjusting for my stouts and it works, and this time i tried bry97 for the first time, anyway im scratching my head cause its monday , no co2 off gassing, the fermenter is sealed no leaks, i peeked inside and there is some foam on top very thin, could the beer have fermented over night? the og was only 1.040. im about to go pick up a turkey baster to take a sample and find out but just wanted to ask you guys and gals
Matty

"This sweet nectar was my life blood"-  Phil "Landfill" krundle

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2020, 12:23:30 pm »
Many have experienced really long lag times with Bry-97. I also used to experience this frustrating lag.  It usually takes me 5-6 days from pitch to completion.

What was the OG and how much yeast did you pitch?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline MattyAHA

• Brewer
Re: overnight ferment or didn't start yet
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2020, 12:26:14 pm »
probably just a long lag then huh? its 1.040 i used one pack dry pitched  didn't rehydrate  (which is probably part of the slow lag)
Matty

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2020, 12:35:25 pm »
You pitched plenty of yeast. Probably just lag. Most likely it’ll take off soon.

I never rehydrate Bry-97. The only other things I do is add nutrient and pitch while the fermenter is filling to create turbulence to mix the yeast in. ...but many fill the fermenter and sprinkle on top.

I consistently see 16 hrs +/- 2 hr lag.  I brew in the AM which puts me in the fermenter by noon-ish and the next morning I can see where the first ‘blip’ on the Tilt was as I slept. It’s 14 hrs more often than not, but I have seen up to 18 hrs.  It is very predictable.  I like to guess when I’ll see the first sign and with the current beer in the fermenter I was off by 30 min.

Using my Tilt as the start indication vs the airlock, that first ‘blip’ may already have happened for you even though you don’t see airlock activity. I have no idea when the airlock starts bubbling on my beers. I rarely ever look at the airlock anymore.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: September 21, 2020, 12:41:35 pm by BrewBama »

Offline MattyAHA

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2020, 01:16:53 pm »
i also added nutrients 10 mins left in boil, i did sprinkle the yeast on top which reminds me i had a ton of start san foam on top which i tried to scoop off most off the surface but did not get all of it hope the star san foam did not harm the yeast, appreciate you chiming in cheers
Matty

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2020, 01:57:01 pm »
i also added nutrients 10 mins left in boil, i did sprinkle the yeast on top which reminds me i had a ton of start san foam on top which i tried to scoop off most off the surface but did not get all of it hope the star san foam did not harm the yeast, appreciate you chiming in cheers

AFAIK, StarSan is a nutrient.  Or so I've been told.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2020, 02:06:38 pm »
I never rehydrate Bry-97. The only other things I do is add nutrient and pitch while the fermenter is filling to create turbulence to mix the yeast in. ...but many fill the fermenter and sprinkle on top.

That is part of your secret sauce for shortening lag time with BRY-97. You are rehydrating and dispersing the cells at the same time.  A lot of brewers do not realize how important it is to thoroughly mix the culture into their wort, especially with slow starters like BRY-97.  I used 6.5-gallon acid carboys for the most of my ten-year-plus first past through this hobby.  I purchased my first one shortly after they appeared in the homebrew trade.  Back then, 6.5-gallon acid carboys were repurposed from industrial use. They usually showed up at homebrew shops with a small amount of lime inside because they originally held hydrochloric acid.  What was nice about these acid carboys is that they came with screw-on caps, which are next to impossible to find today.  Anyway, I used to pitch my starter, screw the cap on, turn the acid carboy on its side, and roll it back and forth briskly.  That technique shaved many hours off of the lag times I was previously experiencing.

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2020, 03:14:26 pm »

That is part of your secret sauce for shortening lag time with BRY-97. You are rehydrating and dispersing the cells at the same time.  A lot of brewers do not realize how important it is to thoroughly mix the culture into their wort, especially with slow starters like BRY-97.  I used 6.5-gallon acid carboys for the most of my ten-year-plus first past through this hobby.  I purchased my first one shortly after they appeared in the homebrew trade.  Back then, 6.5-gallon acid carboys were repurposed from industrial use. They usually showed up at homebrew shops with a small amount of lime inside because they originally held hydrochloric acid.  What was nice about these acid carboys is that they came with screw-on caps, which are next to impossible to find today.  Anyway, I used to pitch my starter, screw the cap on, turn the acid carboy on its side, and roll it back and forth briskly.  That technique shaved many hours off of the lag times I was previously experiencing.
I used to have one of those carboys, but I dropped a pair of pliers on it.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2020, 03:17:10 pm »

lol incredible anecdotes my man.

when i first arrived in korea in 2010, homebrewing was literally unknown outside of seoul and even there maybe there was one craft beer bar.

i would constantly keep my eye out for anything i could use for homebrewing. there was a single online shop, but it was incredibly overpriced and beyond basic. just DME, 2 or 3 crystals, roasted and pale/pilsner if i remember correctly.

i ended up using this and glass ones like it, which are intended to store distilled alcohol and fruit to make liqueurs. they were kinda nice to have a neck you could reach into, but i ended up using this plastic bag/tube as an airlock system because i couldnt get airlocks or something. i brought over some things like bottlecappers and stuff.

incredibly basic setup in a land of beer hell. it got better and better and easier to brew over time. i set up a homebrew club in my city, but when we actually met in person, everyone liked the idea of "hurr making my own beer!!" but not actually listening to instructions or spending a few hours making it.

Offline MattyAHA

• Brewer
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2020, 05:47:28 pm »
i must have a leaky bucket lid even though i wrapped the rim with parafilm cause i lit a lighter and lowered it into my chest freezer and the flame got extinguished , so its def fermenting
Matty

Offline MattyAHA

• Brewer
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2020, 03:17:04 pm »
update- i pulled a hydro sample its at 1.010, it was a quick one, pretty much fermented when i had my back turned for a minute
Matty