Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Mash Recirculation Manifold  (Read 3675 times)

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: Mash Recirculation Manifold
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2020, 01:49:14 pm »
oh so HSA is still a thing?

For some styles, not so much. For Helles, Kölsch, and German Pilsners it is a thing.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2020, 01:54:47 pm »
This is what I use with the Grainfather, in case it might work for you.  https://shop.grainfather.com/top-perforated-plate-with-seal.html
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2020, 01:58:53 pm »
Think we will add one of these, a Pico-Style false bottom. This will sit on top of the grain bed, and evenly distribute the liquid over the grain.

https://www.homebrewing.org/SS-Pico-Style-False-Bottom-bottom-only-No-Feet_p_4587.html

Do you have keggle? I do, 12 inch opening, 15 1/4 interior dia, the false bottom will fit. it might be tricky to get the two halves to match on top ofe the grain bed.

Yes, that's what we have. Will "smooth" out the grain surface for a good fit.

narvin

« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2020, 02:01:40 pm »
Has anyone actually compared using a manifold vs a single hose for returning flow in a continuous sparge situation?  Seems to me that the flow is driven by the shape of the tun and the false bottom, and should be independent of where the top is filling from as long as the liquid level is above the top of the grain.

The only information I remember on flow through grainbed was from Palmer.

http://howtobrew.com/book/appendices/appendix-d/tun-geometry-and-flow-potential

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2020, 02:34:43 pm »
Has anyone actually compared using a manifold vs a single hose for returning flow in a continuous sparge situation?  Seems to me that the flow is driven by the shape of the tun and the false bottom, and should be independent of where the top is filling from as long as the liquid level is above the top of the grain.

We have been using a hose with a flow control valve. The liquid does not disperse evenly, with "hot spots" forming in the grain bed. Even moving the hose around on top does not help very much.
This false bottom should be a huge improvement.

narvin

« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2020, 06:31:46 pm »

We have been using a hose with a flow control valve. The liquid does not disperse evenly, with "hot spots" forming in the grain bed. Even moving the hose around on top does not help very much.

If you're seeing hot spots, I'd also look at the crush and flow rate.  How you return the liquid to the top might make the liquid above the grain slightly more homogenous, but it won't reduce channeling due to compaction.    Recirculating too fast or too fine of a crush can cause it.

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2020, 07:49:06 pm »

If you're seeing hot spots, I'd also look at the crush and flow rate.  How you return the liquid to the top might make the liquid above the grain slightly more homogenous, but it won't reduce channeling due to compaction.    Recirculating too fast or too fine of a crush can cause it.

Our milling is quite coarse. And the flow rate is 2 qts per minute...pretty slow.

narvin

« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2020, 06:48:21 am »

Our milling is quite coarse. And the flow rate is 2 qts per minute...pretty slow.

I'll be interested to hear if there's improvement with the top plate, then.  I'm not fly sparging, but for recirculation I return with a single outlet just under the liquid level and parallel to the surface.

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Mash Recirculation Manifold
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2020, 06:57:35 am »
... Recirculating too fast or too fine of a crush can cause it.

+1. I had to open my mill gap and slow down the pump to get reasonable efficiency (and reduce likelihood of compaction to the point of a stuck sparge). 

I based my information off Van Havig http://www.craftbrewersconference.com/wp-content/uploads/ImprovingBrewhouseEfficiency-Havig.pdf

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: September 23, 2020, 07:05:12 am by BrewBama »

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2020, 07:21:43 am »
Although, I recirculate with a hose that is just under the liquid level in the MT like Denny does (it works the best for me), here is another alternative.
One of my friends uses this in his brewery in FL to recirc and I made one for myself to try it (it is pretty cheap to make).  The recirc hose attaches to the center tee and the assembly is placed just under the liquid level in the MT. The flow is controlled to just allow the liquid to flow gently out of the other four ports.  My MT is a keggle with a false bottom that I got from Sabco.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline Bilsch

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2020, 04:21:29 pm »
This is an interesting change. I've read much the AHA forum over the years that HSA isn't a thing, or at least not something that makes any difference.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2020, 05:24:22 pm by Bilsch »

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2020, 04:48:03 pm »
This is an interesting change. I've read much the AHA forum over the years that HSA isn't a thing, or at least not something that makes and difference.

Things change

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Bilsch

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2020, 05:23:47 pm »
All I can say is awesome. And I'm sure the Beerery would also be super happy to hear you say that. I can't wait for the conversation about de-aerating strike water.  ;D
« Last Edit: September 23, 2020, 10:16:19 pm by Bilsch »

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2020, 07:41:03 am »
All I can say is awesome. And I'm sure the Beerery would also be super happy to hear you say that. I can't wait for the conversation about de-aerating strike water.  ;D

Read a Brulosophy experiment where they did two beers, one hot side aerated, the other one not aerated. If I recall,  the tasters could not differentiate between the two.

But this is only one experiment, with one group of tasters. Your mileage may vary.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2020, 08:24:16 am »

I do what I can to limit oxidation and don't worry about the rest.

www.dennybrew.com