Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: if you were magically forced to choose between light or dark beers  (Read 2655 times)

Offline ajjensen147

• Cellarman
Re: if you were magically forced to choose between light or dark beers
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2020, 07:48:06 am »
As much as I would miss darker beers, I do think I'd have to go with light as well. I just feel like I have to be in a certain mood for something like a stout or a porter, but a pale ale I could drink whenever.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2020, 07:53:28 am »
Pilsners, CAP, Helles, Cream Ale, Bitter, IPAs, and so on are what I mostly brew and drink these days.

Darker beers I le to brew are Check Dark Lager, Dunkel, Doppelbock. I will smoke some malt soon, to make an homage to Schlenkerla Märzen, which is about 22 SRM, and it is one I love.

So mainly light beers.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2020, 08:47:30 am »
Light....can't live without IPA, pils, and tripel.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline TANSTAAFB

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2020, 09:16:48 am »
^^^ this and saison. If I could only drink one style the rest of my life it'd be saison

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2020, 10:00:07 am »
I’d seek out a different magician.
unfortunately, not possible. this is an extremely malicious character.

Less than 20 SRM for me. Even the brown ale I am fermenting now (the darkest beer I have brewed in years) comes in at 18.2 SRM according to BeerSmith. Frankly, that’s making me nervous I have a roasted malt phobia.

very valid point. i tried to think about this, and thought that 19SRM leaves lots of room for nutty, nearly-brown ales and intensely malty beers, but nothing with more than ~3% dark roasted malt (chocolate, carafa, 200SRM coffee malt, RB, etc), also cuts off the distinctly darker belgian strongs (i think?)

and yes its very valid to have a roasted malt phobia. i see some stout recipes with 12,13,14+% roasted barley by weight and think that would simply be too much, based on personal experience.

Gotta go light. For me, the real question is over or under 40 IBU.

someone brought up different OG/FGs for IBU, but i'd go under. very easy choice for me.

This preference is reflected in my homebrewing, too. I just did a quick check of the stats for the approximately 200 brew sessions I have on record, and 80% of my beers are <20 SRM, ~60% are <10 SRM, and ~30% are <5 SRM. My average is ~12 SRM.

awesome stats breakdown. if i did that i think my average would be slightly higher, but probably under 20SRM. However i've decided recently and especially based on my current water profile that I should make repeat batches of beers that I really like the most and not waste time covering styles.

Light....can't live without IPA, pils, and tripel.

I forgot tripel. that would probably be the #1 or #2 <20SRM style i would miss most.

Pilsners, CAP, Helles, Cream Ale, Bitter, IPAs, and so on are what I mostly brew and drink these days.

Darker beers I le to brew are Check Dark Lager, Dunkel, Doppelbock. I will smoke some malt soon, to make an homage to Schlenkerla Märzen, which is about 22 SRM, and it is one I love.

So mainly light beers.

Yes, and admittedly quite a few beers just a touch over 20 could simply be dialed back to be under 20.

wow this magician is awful.

Offline MattyAHA

• Brewer
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2020, 12:05:56 pm »
i only brew german pilsner and dry stout, so both, no if i was forced? light, pils is my shiznat
« Last Edit: September 23, 2020, 02:13:47 pm by MattyAHA »
Matty

"This sweet nectar was my life blood"-  Phil "Landfill" krundle

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2020, 02:44:53 pm »
My SWMBO has never tried to claim she was magician, yet.   :o 8)

I would go with under 20 if I had to choose.  I like a really dark beer now and then but my go tos are almost always pales, pilnsers and wheats.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline Silver_Is_Money

• Brewer
  • Developer of 'Mash Made Easy'
    • Mash Made Easy, MashRite, LLC
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2020, 03:20:34 pm »
Narrow it down to about 14-15 SRM and I could live with that.

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2020, 04:08:36 pm »
I have not brewed a beer over 20SRM in close to 20 years.  I am not a porter or stout guy. 

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2020, 06:51:24 am »
I have not brewed a beer over 20SRM in close to 20 years.  I am not a porter or stout guy.

To add, st. bernardus 12 is 33 SRM. aventinus is claimed as 30SRM, but i could see it being slightly lighter and fullers ESB is right on 20SRM.

Any of these?

Offline Lazy Ant Brewing

• Brewmaster
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2020, 08:45:23 am »
I clearly live and brew on the dark side.  I occasionally drink light brews-- especially samples at beer club meetings--and some saisons are ok, but I've never brewed a light beer and don't anticipate ever doing it.  'nuff said!
It's easier to get information from the forum than to sacrifice virgins to appease the brewing gods when bad beer happens!

Offline Drewch

• Brewmaster
  • Just this guy, you know?
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2020, 10:13:36 am »
Dark.  I would never give up Schwartzbier.
The Other Drew

Home fermentations since 2019.

Member at large of the Central Alabama Brewers Society and the League of Drews.

narvin

« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2020, 01:44:37 pm »

To add, st. bernardus 12 is 33 SRM. aventinus is claimed as 30SRM, but i could see it being slightly lighter and fullers ESB is right on 20SRM.

Any of these?

On the other hand, any time I've brewed a St. Bernardus or Trappist quad type beer, I've targeted somewhere between 20-24 SRM, by the arbitrary (Morey?) estimates that brewing software produces.   It's a dark brown beer, but far from the pitch black that stouts are.  I gave up on trying to use SRM to describe Belgian dark beers a long time ago.

« Last Edit: September 24, 2020, 01:47:44 pm by narvin »

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2020, 02:27:00 pm »
I really love pouring a nice nitro glass of my barrel aged stouts and enjoy sipping them fireside or after a nice meal, paired with a cigar!!I love me some browns and reds too but nothing can compare to a perfectly made BoPils. IMHO, I think a pale beer is best and that would be my choice.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2020, 02:52:39 pm »
Many of the dark beers I drink are because I add Midnight Wheat or Carafa for color. I just brewed a Dunkel today that I would simply skip the color malt to get under the 20 SRM mark. My dark mild would just be not as dark, etc.

So light for me all the way. It might actually inspire me to try my hands at one of those "Blond stout" recipes. The only beer I'd really miss is dubbel, but not enough to give up on IPA, pils, saison, märzen, etc.

Of course, if the cutoff was lower (like 12 or 15), then I'd go dark and just add Sinamar or Brewer's caramel to everything to get to that limit.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer