Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Did I over pitch?  (Read 2551 times)

Offline wst

• 1st Kit
Did I over pitch?
« on: September 22, 2020, 08:52:05 pm »
I have about 6 gals of 1.080 OG currently fermenting, brewed on Saturday...Krausen going out the blow off tube, never had such a large Krausen. 

So, used 4 paks of hydrated SafAle US-05 because I used a yeast pitch calculator and took the number of cells per pak straight from the Fermentis site which gave it at  6 x 10(ninth power)....60B cells.....and 4 paks was under pitching according to the calculator.  Did I over-pitch?

I control the temp....it did get up to 69F by Monday but eased it down to 68 and now at 67, so been in 2 degree range, no drastic changes.
It does seem to be slowing some, as it always does by the Wednesday after brewing on Saturday.

Also, with all the krausen in the blowoff tube and overflow container it went in......can I just leave that in place for the duration of the fermenting(2-weeks) or should it be cleaned?  Paranoid about contamination, as I am sure the water in the blow off jug will have stuff in it.  Concerned that it can climb its way up the krasen coated tube and make into the wort when the fermentation is about done and not off-gassing?

and wanted to add that I just had tap water in the blow-off jug, no santizer

Thanks for any responses.

« Last Edit: September 22, 2020, 09:44:15 pm by wst »

Offline Semper Sitientem

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Did I over pitch?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2020, 02:46:47 am »
One pack would be enough for 6 gallons. Not sure what calculator you were using. Normally over pitching is ok, but I don’t have experience with 4x the amount.

The blow off tube should be ok as long as you don’t create a suck back situation. I would change out the dirty water because having not used any type of sanitizer, bad things could grow in it. I always start with a blow off tube and then switch to an airlock after a few days when I’m sure there’s no risk of volcanoes and always use sanitizer.
Confidunt in cervisia nobis

Scientists believe that the universe is made of hydrogen, because they claim it’s the most plentiful ingredient. I claim that the most plentiful ingredient is stupidity. - Frank Zappa

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Did I over pitch?
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2020, 06:26:25 am »
I think I would have pitched ~two packs of -05 in 6 gal of 1.080 wort.

The Fermentis general rule of .5-.8 grams per liter for Ales applied to your situation: .8 x 22 liter = 17.6 grams yeast. I’d give it the higher .8 grams per liter due to your higher gravity. I would have probably vacuum sealed the remaining 4.4 grams and stored it in the fridge until next brew. ...but I could see just using both packs as well and made it an even 1 gram per liter.

I use a blowoff tube in a jar of water every beer I brew from start to finish. I’ve never have anything crawl back into the fermenter from the jar of blowoff material. Contamination simply doesn’t work that way.

Do not cold crash your beer with that setup in place and you’ll be fine as long as the hose doesn’t get clogged with blowoff material.  I’ve had that happen once with small ID hose so I moved to 1/2” ID hose.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: September 23, 2020, 06:43:44 am by BrewBama »

Offline wst

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2020, 07:05:30 am »
I used the Brewer's Friend pitch calculator. (6 gals, 1.08 OG, Pro Brewer .75 target pitch rate, dry packets, 11.5 G)

329B cells was the result.

I am missing something on how this all works......fermentis gives a 6B cells per gram technical spec on the US-05, or 69B cells per packet.  How does one or possibly 2 packets of this come close to the pitch rate needed?

This is rather confusing.....

Offline BrewBama

Did I over pitch?
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2020, 07:11:43 am »
I use this information from Fermentis: https://fermentis.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/Brochure_Tips_and_Tricks_BAT_BD.pdf where they recommend .5-.8 per liter for Ales (below).

I don’t use third party yeast calculators.

« Last Edit: September 23, 2020, 07:19:29 am by BrewBama »

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2020, 08:01:16 am »
Just brewed my RIS yesterday, 20.4 degrees Plato (1.085), and used two packs of S-04 in a 5.5 gallon batch.  Normally for a lower gravity beer, one pack is enough.  I think that 4 packs was overdoing it but as far as over-pitching, you should be OK except for the fact that you spent more money on yeast than you had to.  I agree with Brewbama on using the manufacturer's pitching recommendations as they produce the yeast and have done extensive testing on pitching rates.

The last time I made this beer a couple months ago, I had krausen blowing out of the blowoff tube but didn't lose more than an aounce or two of beer.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2020, 08:46:32 am »
I agree that 2 packs would have been more than sufficient.  Kinda backs up Mark's comments about pitch calculators.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2020, 09:41:33 am »
One pack would have been plenty.  Two packs would have been high end of normal or low end of overpitch.  Four packs, OMG, major overkill.

I am missing something on how this all works......fermentis gives a 6B cells per gram technical spec on the US-05, or 69B cells per packet.  How does one or possibly 2 packets of this come close to the pitch rate needed?

Fermentis lies.  They want to sell more yeast, AND they don't want complaints about yeast that is seriously mistreated by shippers & sellers that is near death on arrival.  So they set their estimates way lower than their actual ~220B cells per pack.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2020, 09:46:14 am by dmtaylor »
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2020, 10:28:55 am »
One pack would have been plenty.  Two packs would have been high end of normal or low end of overpitch.  Four packs, OMG, major overkill.

Fermentis lies.  They want to sell more yeast, AND they don't want complaints about yeast that is seriously mistreated by shippers & sellers that is near death on arrival.  So they set their estimates way lower than their actual ~220B cells per pack.

Any proof the the allegation they do it to sell more yeast?

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2020, 11:09:11 am »

Um... they are selling a product?  Any edge is an edge, regardless of whether any human being on earth will actually admit to it out loud.  It is what it is.  I guess I don't mean to infer they are any more evil than any other company.  I consider myself a realist, moreso than a pessimist.  If I were running a business (which I am not), I'm sure I would accept any freebie edges that I was sure I could get away with.  Otherwise I might not be so good at running a business.  Fortunately for everybody, I am far too lazy to have any plans on opening any businesses in my lifetime.

Like it or not, that's the way I picture reality.  Today, anyway.  Tomorrow, who knows.  I am not afraid to change my opinions and assertions if/when further evidence suggests that I should do so.  I have and I will, if appropriate.  Cheers.  :)
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2020, 11:33:36 am »

Um... they are selling a product?  Any edge is an edge, regardless of whether any human being on earth will actually admit to it out loud.  It is what it is.  I guess I don't mean to infer they are any more evil than any other company.  I consider myself a realist, moreso than a pessimist.  If I were running a business (which I am not), I'm sure I would accept any freebie edges that I was sure I could get away with.  Otherwise I might not be so good at running a business.  Fortunately for everybody, I am far too lazy to have any plans on opening any businesses in my lifetime.

Like it or not, that's the way I picture reality.  Today, anyway.  Tomorrow, who knows.  I am not afraid to change my opinions and assertions if/when further evidence suggests that I should do so.  I have and I will, if appropriate.  Cheers.  :)

So that's a no?  😉

www.dennybrew.com

Offline BrewBama

Did I over pitch?
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2020, 12:18:35 pm »
I have used the “one pack is plenty” approach and experienced sluggish performance such as slow start, lethargic ferment, and poor attenuation — sometimes just one or two indicators in one beer and sometimes all three.

So, I began reading and found more often than not I was under pitching according to the mfr recommendations. Another thing I was doing at the time was sprinkling on top vs Direct Pitch (as described in the Tips and Tricks document in post #5 above).

Both mfr recommendations (pitching rate and pitching technique) seemed to make a difference for me ...but I know some folks don’t have these symptoms. In that case no cure is required.

I image the mfr does want to ensure their customers are happy (so they will continue to be customers), therefore they provide a recommendation on how to best use their products.  I don’t think they grossly overstate that recommendation simply to make a buck, but there’s probably some conservative estimates baked in to account for uncontrollable variables after the product enters the supply chain.

« Last Edit: September 23, 2020, 12:24:47 pm by BrewBama »

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2020, 01:53:50 pm »
Don't recall if I posted this yet, but I brewed 12 gal. of 1.049 Vienna lager.  Split it into 2 6 gal. batches and pitched one pack of Diamond lager into one, 2 packs in the other.  Just poured it on top, no special procedures.  The 2 pack started in one day, the one pack in 2 days.  Both finished at the same time, same FG, and taste identical.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2020, 02:25:29 pm »
I like to live on the edge, and I would not pitch a single pack into six gallons 1.080 wort, especially without first re-hydrating the yeast in boiled and cooled water.  One is facing a double whammy with high-gravity wort; namely, high osmotic pressure and a lower oxygen saturation level.   Table 1 on page 255 of the PDF linked below provides O2 saturation levels at different gravities and temperatures.   At 20C (68F), a 1.040 wort has an O2 saturation level of 6.2 ppm where a 1.080 wort has an O2 saturation level of 4.9 ppm.  Now, we are able to skirt the dissolved O2 saturation level problem with dry yeast because dry yeast cells are ready to go when pitched.  However, we cannot get around the osmotic pressure problem.  Rehydrating cells with water leads to a 50% higher viability rate,which we need when pitching into high gravity wort because a lot of cells are going to shrivel and implode.

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/pdf/10.1002/j.2050-0416.1974.tb03614.x   

Offline wst

• 1st Kit
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2020, 06:22:16 am »
Well, I will try to remember to come back to this and let you all know how it turns out in a month or so.

Thanks for the input....guess I will just use one or two packs in the future.