Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: brewing book recommendations  (Read 1970 times)

Offline MattyAHA

• Brewer
brewing book recommendations
« on: September 23, 2020, 11:24:16 am »
what books do you recommend? i have water,yeast,malt, hops. definitely wanna pick up brewing lager beer by greg noonan, if you can recommend some good brewing text books that would be great, thank you cheers
Matty

"This sweet nectar was my life blood"-  Phil "Landfill" krundle

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: brewing book recommendations
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2020, 11:32:56 am »
I will advise you that the Noonan book is pretty out of date, as is Designing Great Beers.  In their time, they were great books.  These days, not really since so much has changed.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline MattyAHA

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2020, 12:05:04 pm »
even the New version of brewing lager beer?
Matty

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2020, 01:32:11 pm »
What kind of book are you looking for? I've enjoyed Scott Janish's New IPA book and Lars' Farmhouse Brewing books, but if you don't like IPA or history/Scandinavian brewing traditions then those aren't for you.

I've been vaguely considering looking at Eclectic IPA by Cantwell, but haven't heard too many reviews of it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2020, 01:46:02 pm »

The new version is probably 20+ years old.  I know 3 books I'd recommend, but it's kinda self serving.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline MattyAHA

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2020, 01:58:39 pm »

The new version is probably 20+ years old.  I know 3 books I'd recommend, but it's kinda self serving.

you are a humble man and FYI i'm picking up simple homebrewing its already on my book list  ;) but im also looking for a complex text book type brewing book that you would get in "brewing school/collage" lol
Matty

Offline riceral

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2020, 02:42:15 pm »
Brewing Better Beer by Gordon Strong

Ralph R.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2020, 08:44:49 am »

you are a humble man and FYI i'm picking up simple homebrewing its already on my book list  ;) but im also looking for a complex text book type brewing book that you would get in "brewing school/collage" lol

Fix. https://books.google.com/books/about/Principles_of_Brewing_Science.html?id=0nO9CgAAQBAJ&printsec=frontcover&source=kp_read_button

This is not bad

https://www.google.com/search?gs_ssp=eJzj4tFP1zfMSC4xz0quMjdg9BJMzkjNzSwuKapUyE9TSEpNLQIAtEkLGA&q=chemistry+of+beer&oq=chemistry+of+beer&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j46j0l2j69i60.9201j0j4&client=ms-android-verizon&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

Someday I will get a copy of Der Kunze, but that is expensive.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Lazy Ant Brewing

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2020, 09:16:03 am »
I stumbled across a copy of Mastering Homebrew by Randy Mosher copyright 2015 and find it to be more helpful to me than other brewing books I've read.

I like the challenge of developing my own recipes and this book makes it easier.

The charts and  illustrations are more useful and the information is arranged  to show relationships between different kinds of hops and malts for example or the illustrations showing how to modify different types of beers that make it simpler to formulate my own recipes.

I would recommend it to any beginner or intermediate brewer.
It's easier to get information from the forum than to sacrifice virgins to appease the brewing gods when bad beer happens!

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2020, 10:15:13 am »
I stumbled across a copy of Mastering Homebrew by Randy Mosher copyright 2015 and find it to be more helpful to me than other brewing books I've read.

I like the challenge of developing my own recipes and this book makes it easier.

The charts and  illustrations are more useful and the information is arranged  to show relationships between different kinds of hops and malts for example or the illustrations showing how to modify different types of beers that make it simpler to formulate my own recipes.

Yeah, that's a great book.  Randy and I talked bout doing one together, but I think we're both out of writing mode these days.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2020, 02:29:44 pm »

This would probably by the first book I would buy if I hadn't already bought 12+ brewing books.

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2020, 03:12:48 pm »
I still believe that there is value in the newer of the two Noonan books.  Sure, the book is a bit dated, but there is absolutely no other affordable brewing text that is dedicated to brewing traditional lager beer.  That being said, I would look at purchasing the book used. I purchased an original version of the book in mint condition for not much more than the cost of shipping.   That is the version I had in my library before I sold off my entire brewing collection.  Noonan is the only publication that is written in English that covers a decoction mash in gory detail.   Granted, decoction mashing is not as necessary today as it once was, but there is still value in learning the technique.  Even with modern malt, I find that decoction mashing produces a different wort than infusion or step mashing.

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2020, 04:30:15 pm »
I still believe that there is value in the newer of the two Noonan books.  Sure, the book is a bit dated, but there is absolutely no other affordable brewing text that is dedicated to brewing traditional lager beer.  That being said, I would look at purchasing the book used. I purchased an original version of the book in mint condition for not much more than the cost of shipping.   That is the version I had in my library before I sold off my entire brewing collection.  Noonan is the only publication that is written in English that covers a decoction mash in gory detail.   Granted, decoction mashing is not as necessary today as it once was, but there is still value in learning the technique.  Even with modern malt, I find that decoction mashing produces a different wort than infusion or step mashing.
I treasure my autographed copy of this book.  He was a brewing hero for me.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2020, 09:21:54 pm »

Agreed. Despite the extent it might be dated it is still the most technical homebrewing book out there. There is a lot to take away from the book even if you don't brew lagers.

Brewing Better Beer is a really good intermediary skill book.

Brew Like a Monk remains an exceptional guide to trappist/abbey beers. All of the white books are good but BLAM is the best of the group.

American Sour Beers is a good guide to getting into sour beers. Wild Brews is a great guide to classic Belgian styles and also worth reading.

The Homebrewer's Almanac is a great guide to incorporating unusual plant ingredients in beer. Brewing Local is a pretty good second in that subject.

IPA is a good guide to IPA before the domination of haze.

The 1990s Brewer's Publication style books are full of awful misinformation but great snapshots of craft beer in the 1990s.

Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline joe_meadmaker

• Brewer
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2020, 11:07:36 am »
On on my favorites is The Home Brewer's Guide to Vintage Beer by Ron Pattinson.  Brewing guide and a history lesson wrapped into one.