Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: K-97  (Read 6141 times)

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
K-97
« on: September 23, 2020, 04:13:05 pm »
Has anyone used this stain?  K-87 is allegedly the same strain as Wyeast 1007, which is a true top-cropper. It would be nice to find a dry true top-cropper.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: K-97
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2020, 04:49:00 pm »
Has anyone used this stain?  K-87 is allegedly the same strain as Wyeast 1007, which is a true top-cropper. It would be nice to find a dry true top-cropper.

They are worlds apart IMO. K97 isn't nearly as crisp and clean IME.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2020, 05:19:40 pm »
I got a pile of sulfur in a Cream Ale fermented at 68F the only time I ever used it.  It took forever to clear and lose the aroma.  I do think the beer had a crisp bite though. That was one pack in a 3 gal. batch.

I’d be hard pressed to use it again.

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2020, 06:05:15 pm »
I didn’t like it the few times I used it. Got a strange tartness from it.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline tommymorris

K-97
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2020, 06:37:53 pm »
I liked K-97 in an American Wheat beer except it cleared a bit faster than WY1010. Otherwise the taste was similar.

I haven’t liked K-97 in anything else.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2020, 06:39:36 pm by tommymorris »

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2020, 06:59:50 am »

They are worlds apart IMO. K97 isn't nearly as crisp and clean IME.

I wouldn't go so far as to say "worlds apart".  They are very similar, though I found K-97 takes an even longer time to clear than 1007, and even after clearing still tastes a little yeasty and with the odd tartness that others agree on.  I do think 1007 is the superior product.  But they act in much the same ways, krausen that won't fall for a long time, etc.  Similar to 2565 in that respect.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2020, 03:43:08 pm »
I've used it in alt and American wheat beer. I've been happy with the results.
I'm currently drinking a batch of wild blackberry wheat beer that was fermented with it.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline Descardeci

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2020, 06:15:23 am »
Maybe is not the same, but they have something in common, and it is a true top-cropper, for me this one is more similar to kolsch strain than the 1007, sadly, but otherwise is a beautiful yeast, only use this on my cream ale and kolschs.

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2020, 10:33:35 am »
i did some research recently and ordered some k-97. i plan to just do the obvious and make an alt and see how it tastes before doing anything else.

from what i read and can rememeber now:

complaints:
-slight "tart" flavour
-very slow to clear (I know someone here said the opposite, but i saw quite a few people saying it remained hazy for a long time)
-it is a "true top cropper" resulting in messy carboys, and someone suggested that removing the krausen decreases a perceived astringency. others said the astringency fades with time

positives:
-can make really clean tasting beers, basically pseudo-lager
-plenty of positive reviews with no one really saying "it's just not that great" like you hear about some other yeasts (S-04 and nottingham)

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2020, 11:03:55 am »
Well, here ya go...it's just not that great.  Its not bad, but I don't think I'd call it anywhere near clean.  IMO your have far better luck with BRY97, even for  a psuedo lager.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2020, 11:08:21 am »
do you think its appropriate for an alt though?

it seems some of the kolsch/alt labeled yeasts, people say aren't really accurate

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2020, 11:47:54 am »
do you think its appropriate for an alt though?

it seems some of the kolsch/alt labeled yeasts, people say aren't really accurate

Nope.  Not crisp enough. BRY97 would be far better for alt if you want to stay with dry yeast.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2020, 12:05:01 pm »
im doing k-97 in about a month or two. what do you think are appropriate styles to go with it?

it sounds more like a kind of alternative ale profile, ~highly attenuating ale, somewhere between english and belgian?

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2020, 12:54:40 pm »
im doing k-97 in about a month or two. what do you think are appropriate styles to go with it?

it sounds more like a kind of alternative ale profile, ~highly attenuating ale, somewhere between english and belgian?

Nothing Belgian about it.  Maybe suitable for British styles.  IIRC it's kind of bready.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2020, 01:59:32 pm »
Well, here ya go...it's just not that great.  Its not bad, but I don't think I'd call it anywhere near clean.  IMO your have far better luck with BRY97, even for  a psuedo lager.

I agree.  I've actually had less than stellar results with many dried yeasts, or at least they are all relatively hit & miss compared with liquid strains.  Just being perfectly honest.

The exceptions to this in my experience, so far, are S-189 and London ESB.  Both make a very clean beer (well S-189 actually *is* a lager after all!), better than any of the others.  Yeah yeah I know London should have esters....... except that in real life, it doesn't!

EDIT: Oh yeah, and W-34/70 is no slouch either, but I think S-189 is a little better.

Meanwhile I don't think I'll use K-97 ever again.  It just.... isn't great.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2020, 02:02:23 pm by dmtaylor »
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.