Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Turbinado Tasting Megathread  (Read 1312 times)

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
Turbinado Tasting Megathread
« on: September 18, 2020, 09:23:28 pm »
I searched for turbinado and read several threads. clearest info was from Denny stating that it has a stronger taste than light brown sugar (if im not mistaken) and that it will work out well.

Am planning on using it in a high alcohol pale strong belgian, any recommendations or concerns? I always steered away from brown sugar in brewing because people said the added molasses did not work out well. astringent, harsh flavours.

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Turbinado Tasting Megathread
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2020, 06:06:42 am »
Turbinado is unrefined (or partially refined) sugar so it keeps most (or all) impurities including most of it’s molasses.

Brown sugar is refined sugar (aka white sugar) with molasses added back in to make it brown. The refining process removes most (if not all) impurities.

Light brown has less molasses added back in than dark brown so I can see where Denny’s description would be fairly accurate.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: September 19, 2020, 06:09:46 am by BrewBama »

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Turbinado Tasting Megathread
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2020, 08:44:42 am »
It will work great for you as long as you want the richness it brings.  Ive decided I prefer something more neutral for styles like you mention.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline beerphilmcd

• Assistant Brewer
  • Enzymatic activity excites me!
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2020, 06:29:47 pm »
I always steered away from brown sugar in brewing because people said the added molasses did not work out well. astringent, harsh flavours.

Curious given my affinity for molasses in imperial stouts and even in the Dubbel I’m sipping right now.
"Perhaps wisdom for me is understanding how truely small I am, and that there is no smug self centered moment of clarity when there is so much more to learn" Anthony Bourdain

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2020, 09:10:25 pm »
I always steered away from brown sugar in brewing because people said the added molasses did not work out well. astringent, harsh flavours.

Curious given my affinity for molasses in imperial stouts and even in the Dubbel I’m sipping right now.

i'll update. it looks like i'll be using it in a belgian. relatively soon. and i think it will be exclusively malt and turbinado. so should be a decent test batch

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2020, 08:13:12 am »

I use both brown sugar and molasses in my English Barleywine.  However, I guess that is not a bad thing using both as the beer won two consecutive BOS at large regional competitions.  I don't notice any astringency in the beer.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2020, 11:56:09 am »

I use both brown sugar and molasses in my English Barleywine.  However, I guess that is not a bad thing using both as the beer won two consecutive BOS at large regional competitions.  I don't notice any astringency in the beer.
I adapted an Old Peculier clone recipe to include a fair amount of molasses, and I really like the flavor that the molasses adds.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2020, 08:13:24 pm »
used 1lb of turbinado along with 1lb of D-180 candi syrup. of course the dark syrup overshadows the turbinado most likely, but its very fruity with no off-flavours, no molasses suggestion. not bottled yet, just a sampling

posting this to give a purpose to this thread and update.

Offline Tfwebster

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2020, 11:38:20 pm »
I'm two weeks into fermenting a Belgian strong that included two pounds of turbinado in the  boil. At this time, there's no discernible molasses flavor.
If reading about homebrewing is your thing, join Brewer's Book Club at  https://www.facebook.com/groups/754108348475546/