Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Shaken not stirred in primary  (Read 951 times)

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
Shaken not stirred in primary
« on: September 28, 2020, 10:19:43 pm »
I don't have a gallon jug. Could I put my starter into my primary fermenter, shake the foam out of it, add the yeast and put the wort on top of it at high krausen?
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Shaken not stirred in primary
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2020, 08:51:54 am »
Seems like it.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2020, 04:35:56 pm »
I don't have a gallon jug. Could I put my starter into my primary fermenter, shake the foam out of it, add the yeast and put the wort on top of it at high krausen?

I guess that I need to be more clear when describing things. Shaking is important before pitching the culture into the starter wort, not after pitching it. Gallon jugs are not all that difficult to acquire.  If you cannot acquire a gallon glass jug, any one-gallon or larger container that can be sanitized that has a screw-on cap will work.  British brewers use 5L plastic water bottles. 

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2020, 03:47:14 pm »

I guess that I need to be more clear when describing things. Shaking is important before pitching the culture into the starter wort, not after pitching it.
That's what I meant. Shake the heck out of the starter wort, pitch the culture, and add the main wort at high krausen.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2020, 05:08:00 pm »
That's what I meant. Shake the heck out of the starter wort, pitch the culture, and add the main wort at high krausen.

Yes, that should work if you have access to a container that is at least a 1-gallon container.  If you do not have one, I would scour grocery stores, Costco, or Sams Club for a glass one-gallon apple juice bottle. Costco and Sams Club are good for one-gallon apple cider vinegar jugs.  My LHBS sells new one-gallon glass jugs.  I use a 5L media bottle, but you are looking at $100+ for a 5L media bottle.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2020, 05:12:04 pm by Saccharomyces »

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2020, 09:06:27 pm »

Buy a gallon jug of wine. Drink the wine. Use the jug for SNS starters.
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2020, 08:53:47 am »
If you have a Sprouts anywhere near you, you can purchase a gallon of organic apple juice in a one-gallon glass jug for around $9.  I fairly certain that being organic includes not having preservatives, which means that the juice should be good for cider.