Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Rose Aroma Hops?  (Read 1388 times)

Offline KeepOregonGreen

• 1st Kit
Rose Aroma Hops?
« on: September 27, 2020, 12:17:06 am »
I've seen many hops descriptions saying 'floral and a few even 'rose.' I'm looking for the most rose and/or floral, not citrus etc. for a special project. Thanks

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: Rose Aroma Hops?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2020, 06:01:27 am »
Not surew about hops, I have used rose hips and beer and didn't like the results. You might check out Rose Water. I had considered using this once point in time for a larger batch of beer but decided not to because of price.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2020, 08:25:12 am »
I've seen many hops descriptions saying 'floral and a few even 'rose.' I'm looking for the most rose and/or floral, not citrus etc. for a special project. Thanks

Look for hops high in geraniol
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2020, 10:01:34 am »
Centennial has cis-rose oxide. Try it.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2020, 10:52:44 am »
Not sure what the parameters are of this project but we make rhodamel (rose mead) with actual rose petals. I imagine in a beer I would add for the last day in fermenter before packaging. Nothing will get you more rose flavor without too much of a perfume effect than that.
I prefer wild Ragosa rose petals. Cultivated roses work fine but be sure that they have not been sprayed. We pick as they bloom and freeze the petals until we have enough.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2020, 10:55:29 am »
Not surew about hops, I have used rose hips and beer and didn't like the results. You might check out Rose Water. I had considered using this once point in time for a larger batch of beer but decided not to because of price.
Rose hips would have very little if any rose aroma, just a puckery sour. Roses are very close relatives of apples and the hips are the apples. They are incredibly high in vitamin c and have a citrus like sour that can be ok in moderation.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline KeepOregonGreen

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2020, 12:19:28 pm »
Thanks for the advice!

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2020, 02:24:23 pm »

Look for hops high in geraniol

What Denny said.  Also IIRC, geraniol is involved in biotransformation so don't use a NEIPA yeast.

Offline KeepOregonGreen

• 1st Kit
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2020, 04:23:43 pm »
Aha! Thanks for the biotransfirmation clue. This from goodbeerhunting.com:

"yeast can transform geraniol—an organic compound that is produced by hops, as well as marijuana and other plants—into geranyl acetate, an ester that smells abundantly, opulently, of roses."

Now to find a high geraniol hop or just the right geranium...

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2020, 06:02:23 pm »
I think what kramerog meant was that biotransformation from yeast can change geraniol into citranellol and that changes the flavor profile from a rose and floral one to a citrusy one (HOPS by Stan Hieronymus, p. 21, 26). This occurs when hops are added during active fermentation. Dry hopping after the yeast are finished will maintain the original flavor profile of the hops.
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline KeepOregonGreen

• 1st Kit
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2020, 12:16:11 pm »
I think what kramerog meant was that biotransformation from yeast can change geraniol into citranellol and that changes the flavor profile from a rose and floral one to a citrusy one (HOPS by Stan Hieronymus, p. 21, 26). This occurs when hops are added during active fermentation. Dry hopping after the yeast are finished will maintain the original flavor profile of the hops.
Ah, thanks for the clarification

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2020, 08:17:12 pm »
Centennial IMO is the closest to rosy floral but still I don't think rose so much as aggressively floral. Honestly the thing that smells most like roses are actual rose petals provided you can find petals from rose plants not from a florist. The roses grown for florists grow for appearances and have very little aroma. They are sprayed with artificial rose aroma. Roses in gardens can vary between equally as un-aromatic to strongly aromatic. You would be better off finding a neighbor who deadheads their roses than buying a box of rose petals from your local florist.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing