Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Fermentation stopped  (Read 875 times)

Offline Mojtala

• 1st Kit
Fermentation stopped
« on: October 01, 2020, 09:33:38 am »
Hi and thanks for adding me to the forum
As you see I am new here and also new to brewing. The problem I have is in the process of making a home made wine by using shop bought fruit juice. No recipe to follow, only concluding from some online stories. I did everything right and the batch started to bubble after 24 hours, it was working fine for a few days until stupid me, decided to open the lid and do some changes. I was careful to keep the opening always closed but in the process I was forced to open it completely and change the container. Once again I made sure that the container was air tight and waited but no bubble came. I know it is not finished because I have another container which I prepared at the same time. I have not touched the other one and that keeps bubbling.
Can i save this batch, thanks for your time.
Regards
Mojtala

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Fermentation stopped
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2020, 02:27:25 pm »
Is it fermenting in a bucket?  They have notoriously leaky lid seals, so it may be fermenting along without bubbling in an airlock....
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2020, 05:02:00 pm »
You need to take a hydrometer sample to see if fermentation is complete.  If the gravity is not near 1.000 or less, you can always pitch two packages of EC-1118.  That usually makes short work of a stuck wine fermentation.

Offline Mojtala

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2020, 09:53:27 am »
Is it fermenting in a bucket?  They have notoriously leaky lid seals, so it may be fermenting along without bubbling in an airlock....

Thank you,
Yes, it was in a bucket, but it fermented very well before I opened it. Now, I have put it a glass jar and I think the lid is air tight. The batch has some foam at top but no bubble in air lock.

Offline Mojtala

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2020, 09:55:56 am »
You need to take a hydrometer sample to see if fermentation is complete.  If the gravity is not near 1.000 or less, you can always pitch two packages of EC-1118.  That usually makes short work of a stuck wine fermentation.

Thank yo for your reply. I am going to test it, but I am sure it is not fermented. My problem is why it does not bubble. Can I do it again from the beginning?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2020, 11:40:24 am »

Thank yo for your reply. I am going to test it, but I am sure it is not fermented. My problem is why it does not bubble. Can I do it again from the beginning?

I see 2 possible reasons it's not bubbling....either it's done fermenting, or you have a leak somewhere
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell