Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: G  (Read 700 times)

Offline deckerhand

• Cellarman
G
« on: October 01, 2020, 10:51:29 pm »
Hello all, I am new to the group and to home brewing. Do to room I am using MR.beer so far I am really enjoying brewing beer once’s I have some brews under my belt I hope to up my game. I am from the state of NJ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
Re: G
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2020, 06:10:59 am »
Welcome.  I’m sure you will find, like me, many brewers who contribute to this forum also started with Mr. Beer. Good luck?
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2020, 07:35:36 am »
Yup, that is how I started.  Got a Mr. Beer kit for Xmas from the oldest son and his wife 20+ yeas ago.  My first batch pretty much sucked.  Once I learned and became anal retentive abut cleanliness and sanitation, the beers got better and I moved to 5 gallon extract batches then to all grain a year or so after that.

Welcome aboard!  There is a wealth of information on this forum so please feel free to ask any questions you may have.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2020, 10:06:15 pm »
Welcome-

I started with Mr. Beer, too.  It was a Christmas gift back in 2002.
I made a lot of batches with it.  The first few sucked, but after that, I learned enough to start making decent beer with it.
The biggest things:

1) Sanitation is key
2) DO NOT top off with tap water.  Always get the chlorine out first.
3) Booster is a joke.  I hope they got rid of it by now.  If not, just substitute plain unhopped DME for it. You will thank yourself.
4) give the yeast time to work.  Don't be in too much of a rush.  brew enough to have a backlog, so that you are not tempted to drink them prematurely.

Good Luck! Keep asking questions and you will get all the answers you need here.
Steve
Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2020, 07:21:51 am »
Welcome-

I started with Mr. Beer, too.  It was a Christmas gift back in 2002.
I made a lot of batches with it.  The first few sucked, but after that, I learned enough to start making decent beer with it.
The biggest things:

1) Sanitation is key
2) DO NOT top off with tap water.  Always get the chlorine out first.
3) Booster is a joke.  I hope they got rid of it by now.  If not, just substitute plain unhopped DME for it. You will thank yourself.
4) give the yeast time to work.  Don't be in too much of a rush.  brew enough to have a backlog, so that you are not tempted to drink them prematurely.

Good Luck! Keep asking questions and you will get all the answers you need here.
Steve

All well said!  👍🏽
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Offline deckerhand

• Cellarman
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2020, 08:57:50 am »
Thank you all. I know I’ll be able to up my game with all I’ll be learning on here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline MNWayne

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2020, 08:54:04 pm »
#1 Cleanliness. #2 Patience. #3 Read, read, read.
Far better to dare mighty things....