Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Kveik recommendation for Dead Ringer extract kit?  (Read 871 times)

Offline Joe_Beer

• Brewer
Kveik recommendation for Dead Ringer extract kit?
« on: October 02, 2020, 08:43:01 am »
I picked up a couple Dead Ringer https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/2785/6868/t/3/assets/DeadRingerIPA-1526678960623.pdf?4673165636492568692 extract kits from NB a while back and thinking about making a couple this weekend. I've been struggling with ferment temps all summer and thought the fall would be easier but seems like the furnace seems to keep the ambient temp around 73F anyway. I'm wondering about using some strain of Kveik on one of the kits and forget about wrestling with the temps. I've read there are some fruity flavors that come off the Kveik but not sure if those are dependent on the strain. I can get Lutra (OYL-071), Hornidal (OYL-091) or Voss (OYL-061) at my local HBS. I'm leaning towards the Voss since it's "citrusy" rather than "tropical" (not so sure about mango flavored beer) but the Lutra says it finishes "clean" (without phenols, off flavors and esters?). Thoughts?
« Last Edit: October 02, 2020, 09:44:23 am by Joe_Beer »

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
Re: Kveik recommendation for Dead Ringer extract kit?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2020, 10:08:46 am »
IME, none of the Kveiks I have tasted have had what I would consider a "clean" fermentation profile. All have tasted vaguely "Belgian" to me, even when fermented at standard ale temps. I think they are cleaner at 80F than most other strains, but that doesn't necessarily make them "clean."

If your temperature further from your furnace is unstable, but generally not too hot (under ~65F), simply putting your fermenter halfway in a water bath will help moderate the temperature fluctuations. Then pitching US-05 would probably be a viable option. Others have had success cooling wort with the same method and swapping out frozen water bottles, but that method was too difficult for me.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2020, 10:19:33 am »
IME, none of the Kveiks I have tasted have had what I would consider a "clean" fermentation profile. All have tasted vaguely "Belgian" to me, even when fermented at standard ale temps. I think they are cleaner at 80F than most other strains, but that doesn't necessarily make them "clean."

If your temperature further from your furnace is unstable, but generally not too hot (under ~65F), simply putting your fermenter halfway in a water bath will help moderate the temperature fluctuations. Then pitching US-05 would probably be a viable option. Others have had success cooling wort with the same method and swapping out frozen water bottles, but that method was too difficult for me.

I agree.  I haven't tasted any I would consider even vaguely clean.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2020, 10:38:57 am »
I picked up a couple Dead Ringer https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/2785/6868/t/3/assets/DeadRingerIPA-1526678960623.pdf?4673165636492568692 extract kits from NB a while back and thinking about making a couple this weekend. I've been struggling with ferment temps all summer and thought the fall would be easier but seems like the furnace seems to keep the ambient temp around 73F anyway. I'm wondering about using some strain of Kveik on one of the kits and forget about wrestling with the temps. I've read there are some fruity flavors that come off the Kveik but not sure if those are dependent on the strain. I can get Lutra (OYL-071), Hornidal (OYL-091) or Voss (OYL-061) at my local HBS. I'm leaning towards the Voss since it's "citrusy" rather than "tropical" (not so sure about mango flavored beer) but the Lutra says it finishes "clean" (without phenols, off flavors and esters?). Thoughts?

No experience with any of these strains, but Ive played with the original cultures of Hornindal and Skare, which I believe is where the Lutra isolate came from. Skare was quite clean from 75-85 degrees, although it had a very lean mouthfeel. If you are looking for a clean fermenting yeast, I'd say Lutra is the way to go. Be mindful that oxidation happens much faster at these elevated temps, so mind your transfers and packaging carefully.

Offline Joe_Beer

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2020, 01:14:30 pm »
Thanks all. I pitched the Lutra yesterday afternoon. I have krausen coming out of the blowoff tube (3/8") this afternoon which is clogging the hose but seems to working it's way through. Good lord.