Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: All-Peach Ferment  (Read 1060 times)

Offline peachykeen

• 1st Kit
All-Peach Ferment
« on: October 09, 2020, 12:17:13 pm »
Hi there,

I own and operate a peach orchard and have been experimenting with fermenting straight peaches the past 3 years and am finally having success with my recipe this year!

First, I'm thinking what do I call it ?  It drinks like a cider but technically not a cider since there are no apples. Maybe like a pear cider being perry it can be called a peachy? The initial Brix is typically around 13, so not high alcohol to reflect as a "wine" either even though it technically is a fruit wine. It's dry, acidic but with a distinct acidic aroma- almost like some peach saisons I have had.

Second, if I wanted to bottle and sell it, would is be reasonable to expect to make simple/cheap modifications to be able to brew at the orchard? I can't find much information on infastructure/equipment required for brewing. Of course, there's the whole permitting side but I'm thinking about the physical assets required first.

« Last Edit: October 09, 2020, 03:24:24 pm by peachykeen »

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: All-Peach Brew
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2020, 12:42:23 pm »
Hi there,

I own and operate a peach orchard and have been experimenting with fermenting straight peaches the past 3 years and am finally having success with my recipe this year!

First, I'm thinking what do I call it ?  It drinks like a cider but technically not a cider since there are no apples. Maybe like a pear cider being perry it can be called a peachy? The initial Brix is typically around 13, so not high alcohol to reflect as a "wine" either even though it technically is a fruit wine. It's dry, acidic but with a distinct acidic aroma- almost like some peach saisons I have had.

Second, if I wanted to bottle and sell it, would is be reasonable to expect to make simple/cheap modifications to be able to brew at the orchard? I can't find much information on infastructure/equipment required for brewing. Of course, there's the whole permitting side but I'm thinking about the physical assets required first.

Sounds like peach win to me.  There are many legal hurdles to clear if you want to sell.  Consult a lawyer before you do anything.  You are really just fermenting, not brewing, so the equipment would be a way to juice the peaches and some fermenters.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline peachykeen

• 1st Kit
Re: All-Peach Brew
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2020, 03:24:06 pm »
Hi there,

Sounds like peach win to me.  There are many legal hurdles to clear if you want to sell.  Consult a lawyer before you do anything.  You are really just fermenting, not brewing, so the equipment would be a way to juice the peaches and some fermenters.

Thank you Denny, good point on the fermenting/brewing distinction. I've got most of the basic equipment to produce it, just wondering if it's would be a worthwhile side-gig since I already have access to all the peach seconds I would need-- before I start spending money on a lawyer etc...
« Last Edit: October 09, 2020, 03:25:53 pm by peachykeen »

Offline TeeDubb

• Assistant Brewer
  • San Jose, CA
Re: All-Peach Ferment
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2020, 11:47:56 pm »
Agree with Denny - get professional advice.

If you add honey to the peaches and you can officially call it a melomel, a type of mead.  It will boost the ABV, may make it more interesting, marketable and possibly easier to classify with the government for sale.

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
Re: All-Peach Ferment
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2020, 02:19:25 pm »
It’s peach wine. If you live in a state where the rules are more favorable if you are operating an agricultural endeavor like your orchard you may be able to get a license, not necessarily easily and cheaply but relatively so.
In Massachusetts for instance we have farmer=winery and farmer=brewery licenses that allow for not only on premises sales but also self distribution, which eliminates all the hassles of dealing with distributors.
As far as equipment goes, depending on your municipal rules and how they are enforced, the likely big expenses will not be the fermenting and bottling equipment but rather building or upgrading a facility to commercial code: fire suppression, septic, etc.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.