Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Omega Lutra Kveik  (Read 19435 times)

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Omega Lutra Kveik
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2020, 02:26:48 pm »
When re-pitching, how much did you use for 5 gallons?  I used about 3 tablespoons and had the same results you mention about the noticeable fermentation starting within a couple hours.  At the low 70's.  Finished in 3 days.
I pitch the same amount I pitch for any harvested yeast. It's probably 8-12oz of thick slurry. I don't adhere to those "under pitch and don't aerate" rules for kveik. I'm looking for clean beers with the benefit of no temp control and only chilling to 90F, which really speeds up the brew day and cuts down on stress by a lot.

Sounds good - whatever works for you is the way to go.  I just have concerns on overpitching any yeast (I know it is hard to do at the homebrew level), as I have read that it can cause formation of petite mutants, since not enough yeast reproduction is occurring (and I want to do serial repitching when I can).
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2020, 07:21:41 pm »
I just took a second sample taste of my Lutra schwarzbier (near end of fermentation, testing gravity to see if I can bottle yet -- nope not yet).  It is SO clean and lager-like.  I'll be using this strain much more in future, for "lagers" or for whatever styles I want.  But for me it's also been laggy and slow.  There's no krausen anymore but it's still dropping a couple points every few days so I need to leave it longer.  Admittedly it's in the 60s so not the "ideal" temperature for a kveik, but it's still working and it's clean, plus I'm patient, so we'll see how it ends up.  I am adverse to heating the beer at all, opting instead for patience.  So I don't know if I would like the yeast as much at warmer temperatures, no experience with that (yet).
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline BeerfanOz

• Cellarman
« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2020, 08:57:46 pm »
I have my first lutra blonde ale on tap, kegged on day 4, at 30c. Very clean with a light fruitiness, though it doesn’t seem like an ester, almost a kolsh like fruitiness. I really like it. Omega say to ferment cooler for more lager like results and I will definitely try that next. Still, it’s allowed me to brew 2 beers at once, one in my ferm fridge, and lutra in the garage with a heat belt on. It also makes nice beer so it’s all positive for me.
Shellharbour, NSW, Australia

Offline Joe_Beer

• Brewer
« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2020, 03:48:28 am »
Posted a pic (https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=3331.msg449746#msg449746) of my Lutra brew tapped over the weekend. This is the second NB Dead Ringer kit I've done. The first was fermented with US-05. I can't tell a big difference in flavor between the two batches but one is that slippery aftertaste is gone (mouthfeel?). I like it better than the US-05 for that reason. Second reason would be that I didn't do any temp control on it. The basement was around 74F the whole time. I'll definitely use this yeast again - literally since I plan on re-pitching it :J
« Last Edit: October 26, 2020, 03:50:45 am by Joe_Beer »

Offline Ellismr

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2020, 04:09:33 am »
Are used that strain on a festbier and per the manufacturers instructions I fermented at 68°F and I did lager for two weeks but it dropped very bright and I would say another week in the keg and I could not really tell the difference between using that strain and ferment is 34/70.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Brew what you like & brew often.

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2020, 11:15:08 am »
I've got zero activity with my Lutra schwarzbier 43 hours after pitching.  I'll check on it again tonight but jeez, kind of a lag on this one.  I know I underpitched, AND am fermenting at "only" 70 F, and this is intended for a Lutra competition with the local club, so I don't think I'll add any more yeast even if this lags.  But holy wah.  I guess 2 grams in 0.8 gallons wasn't enough.  Maybe someone else can learn from my mistakes.  I'll keep in touch as to how this turns out, nice experiment actually.  In the other 0.9 gallons (split 1.7-gallon batch), I used London ESB(!).  That shows no activity yet either, but I used the same 2 grams so that it will be a nice side-by-side comparison eventually maybe, if they don't get contaminated.
Why on earth did you underpitch by so much? The idea of this yeast is that it can ferment warm and results in a clean beer. One does not underpitch to get those results...

I've been using this yeast for the last 4 months and absolutely love it. I pitch and aerate as normal, but only chill the wort to about 90F, ferment at room temp letting the fermentation temp drop from 90F to whatever room temp is. Ferments in about 3 days, I keg in 7-10. It's bright going into the keg. Always get great attenuation and very clean tasting beers; very kolsch-like, great for pseudo-lagers. This is amazing yeast.

EDIT: Oh, and another thing...every single batch I've had fermentation start (and actively fermenting) within an hour. Most of the time I'm seeing bubbles in the airlock before I'm done cleaning up. It starts that fast.
the simple answer to this for alot of brewers is because they can. I have played with some cultures that the difference between pitching a 100ml starter adn a 2 liter starter was negligible. I know pro brewers that love that they can pitch a homebrew size pack of kveik into a 2 liter starter the morning of brewday and use it to ferment a 5 bbl batch of beer

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2020, 05:41:23 pm »
Welp..... my first kveik schwarzbier didn't turn out. Three days ago, smelled like vinegar but tasted absolutely amazing. Wasn't at my desired FG so I left it 3 more days, and now today... smells like vinegar AND TASTES like vinegar. Oh well, at least this stuff will go really well with fish sticks!! Seriously I ain't dumping it. Meanwhile, since I split the batch, I'll still have some schwarzbier later on with a different yeast, so all is not lost. Advantage of splitting batches and trying different things!  And better luck next time.  I'll still be trying Lutra again in future, I know it's a great yeast.  I just need to do a better job with sanitization -- yeah, I wasn't stickler enough.....
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Joe_Beer

• Brewer
« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2020, 06:07:09 pm »
Fishsticks ;) Sorry to hear half of it didn't turn out. Any hunch what went wrong? Can underpitching cause that?

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2020, 06:13:54 pm »
Fishsticks ;) Sorry to hear half of it didn't turn out. Any hunch what went wrong? Can underpitching cause that?

It was a comedy of stupidity.  For one thing, yes I underpitched.  And, I knew there were fruit flies buzzing around, but the only "airlock" I had on was a sheet of silicone rubber (small one-gallon fermenter), which might not keep stuff out like it should.  I just need to do a better job of all this.
Dave

Offline Joe_Beer

• Brewer
« Reply #39 on: October 28, 2020, 05:33:33 am »
Think a teaspoon of baking soda added to a cup of the Fischstäbchen Schwarzbier would turn the vinegar into CO2?

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
« Reply #40 on: October 28, 2020, 05:52:20 am »
Think a teaspoon of baking soda added to a cup of the Fischstäbchen Schwarzbier would turn the vinegar into CO2?

It would indeed.  But it won't kill the infection.

Anyway, a friend of mine already named the vinegar for marketing purposes:  Schwarz-negar!  Now I just CAN'T do anything else with it!   ;D  ;D  ;D
Dave

Offline Joe_Beer

• Brewer
« Reply #41 on: October 28, 2020, 06:34:47 am »
Anyway, a friend of mine already named the vinegar for marketing purposes:  Schwarz-negar!

:D That's aptly named!

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #42 on: October 29, 2020, 09:55:19 am »

It would indeed.  But it won't kill the infection.

Anyway, a friend of mine already named the vinegar for marketing purposes:  Schwarz-negar!  Now I just CAN'T do anything else with it!   ;D  ;D  ;D
First thing I thought of was this is a mash up of German and Spanish, Schwarz meaning black and Negar meaning to deny in Spanish. Deny the black? :D

Sorry to hear about your loss though. I like Lutra a lot. It's going to be my go-to Summer yeast. I could still use it in the winter, but now that things are colder, I have a room that sits at 60F, might be time to do some warmer fermented lagers and the like.

One question I have that is something I've noticed is - If one is to only chill their wort to 90-95F and pitch the yeast, would this result in a hazier beer because it's not cooling enough? I never had haze issues before when chilling to normal fermentation temperatures, I don't think, and so I'm wondering... Because this yeast goes into the keg BRIGHT, but has a decent amount of chill haze for a while.
Jesse

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2021, 11:42:12 am »
Did a side by side with Lutra @67 F vs Bayern lager at 55F. Bayern lager was crisper, a bit more sulfur, and brought out the herbal hop character. Lutra was fairly clean, but had a noticeable apple/apricot kind of ester that came out more as it warmed up. Beer was 90/10 pilsner/Munich 20, with Aramis as the hop. It was 4.5% ABV with a 1.5 oz dry hop for 5 gallons. Both beers were nice, but I preferred Bayern if I'm trying to make a lager. Lutra finished fermenting in 2 days, and dropped pretty clear. Pic of the lutra beer below (above?).  Beers were about 3 weeks old at tasting (1.5 weeks to ferment, 3 days to cold crash, 1 week to carbonate).

I think Lutra is cleaned than Oslo, but I'm not sure if there's a place for it in my yeast bank. I think if I'm going to really try to make a lager, I'll use a lager yeast and take my time. If I'm trying to rush out a beer, I'd probably pick a different style that allows for a bit more yeast character.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Offline Joe_Beer

• Brewer
« Reply #44 on: January 31, 2021, 06:20:17 am »
Did a side by side with Lutra @67 F vs Bayern lager at 55F. Bayern lager was crisper, a bit more sulfur, and brought out the herbal hop character. Lutra was fairly clean, but had a noticeable apple/apricot kind of ester that came out more as it warmed up.

I wish I had the pallete to detect those differences. It was suggested to me that smoking in my earlier years killed my sense of taste so maybe something to do with it. I've just not been able to tell subtle differences in flavor/aroma between yeasts. The last couple batches I made with my re-pitched Lutra from last October. Still making an enjoyable batch (managed to make $7 worth of yeast stretch for like 5 batches so that's cool too!). I've had others taste these beers and some remark "You MADE this?" rather than "you DRINK this?" so that tells me maybe my sense of taste isn't too far off :D