Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Sorry Guest, you are banned from posting and sending personal messages on this forum.
This ban is set to expire October 13, 2024, 08:19:18 am.

Author Topic: Sealing a bucket fermenter lid?  (Read 1323 times)

Offline Joe_Beer

• Brewer
Sealing a bucket fermenter lid?
« on: October 06, 2020, 09:44:10 am »
I have a couple of these buckets for fermenting https://smile.amazon.com/6-5-Gallon-plastic-fermenter-lid/dp/B0064O8X5K/ but I think the lids leak a little. I'm trying to use the CO2 from fermentation to push starsan out of a keg and into a bucket. Blowoff tube goes to gas post and another hose goes on liquid out, into a bucket. The keg has been sitting there for a couple days without any noticeable activity. I disconnected from the keg and put the blowoff in a jug of starsan. It's bubbling like crazy so I think the bucket must just be leaking due to the added pressure when connected to the keg.  Any way to seal these bucket lids? Anyone used the Gamma lid (https://smile.amazon.com/Vittles-Stackable-Airtight-Storage-Container/dp/B0054LDFK2) for a better seal?

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Sealing a bucket fermenter lid?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2020, 10:53:42 am »
When I used buckets, I liked the ones from Williams. They have an o-ring in the lid which prevented leaks. I think the lids fit any bucket. If so, I recommend them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Joe_Beer

• Brewer
Re: Sealing a bucket fermenter lid?
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2020, 11:44:41 am »
Thanks. Not seeing anything other than the 8 gallon buckets on their site. I'll see if I can dig up an appropriate lid with an o-ring somewhere.

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2020, 04:12:13 pm »
I’ve used buckets that do not seal. You may be able to use some silicone and make your own gasket. Might be able to make a cutout to make it all the same thickness.
I moved to a gasketed screw top lid.
Jeff B

Offline Joe_Beer

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2020, 03:01:43 am »
Thinking some thinwall silicone tubing might work too. Do the screw top lids add a lot of height to the bucket? I only have about 2" of space above the bucket when I stick it in the fridge/ferment chamber.