Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Rye Bock  (Read 2219 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Rye Bock
« on: October 06, 2020, 05:16:01 pm »
Years ago a friend made a rye bock that I remember as fantastic.  So, I think it's finally time to brew one.  What do you think about 75% Munich II and 25% rye malt?  Think it needs anything else malt wise?  Both the Munich and rye will be Mecca Grade, so big flavors from them.

Thanks for suggestions....
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: Rye Bock
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2020, 05:45:14 pm »
I like the idea of keeping it simple!  You could consider adding a touch of Carafa or chocolate malt for color (optional), and well what are your thoughts on "Aromatic" malt?  I haven't used it in years, but it shows up in my old recipe for a doppelbock, maybe I should taste a few kernels again sometime as my memory is fuzzy.  But of course, you don't need to add anything else to your recipe, it will turn out great of course.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2020, 07:33:57 pm »
I'd consider maybe 3-5% CaraMunich, but that's about it. It sounds like a really tasty brew.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2020, 06:09:04 am »
I will interested on how this turns out. Years ago I made a Rye IPA that had Munich in it and I thought the flavors of the Rye and Munich clashed. Granted, that was German Munich and not the Mecca Grade malt. How is the Mecca Grade Rye compared to other maltsters? I also agree with Eric that a little Caramunich might be a nice addition.
Dan Chisholm

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2020, 07:28:51 am »
Love the idea! A bit of carafa would never hurt depending on what color you are going for. Or even some chocolate rye...
« Last Edit: October 07, 2020, 08:23:02 am by Iliff Ave Brewhouse »
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline Chris S

• Cellarman
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2020, 08:20:22 am »
Last time I made that (Feb. 17, 2020), I threw in 5% flaked rye, just for kicks. Total grist was 75% Munich II, 20% rye, and the flaked rye. Turned into really good beer.

Let us know how yours goes!

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2020, 08:51:03 am »
I will interested on how this turns out. Years ago I made a Rye IPA that had Munich in it and I thought the flavors of the Rye and Munich clashed. Granted, that was German Munich and not the Mecca Grade malt. How is the Mecca Grade Rye compared to other maltsters? I also agree with Eric that a little Caramunich might be a nice addition.

I agree on the Rye IPA with Munich....doesn't work for me either.  But I think the lower hop load is what makes the Rye bock work.  We'll see.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2020, 08:52:25 am »
Thanks for all the tips.  I have some Special B around.....what about a VERY small amount of that?  Maybe 5% or less?  Too little to matter?

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Chris S

• Cellarman
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2020, 08:59:09 am »
A teeny bit of Special B might round out the potential astringency of the rye... A little goes a long way, though, I've found. 5% might be the magic number.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2020, 09:00:23 am »
A teeny bit of Special B might round out the potential astringency of the rye... A little goes a long way, though, I've found. 5% might be the magic number.

Potential astringent of rye?  Never experienced that.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2020, 09:37:29 am »
I dont like the thought of special b in a bock. Its so intense even in small doses it seems like it would dominate. Then again, I dont really like special B in general.

Ive never used mecca grade, but Ive used other artisanal base malts, and they were much more intense that the ones from the big maltsters, all the flavors were turned up to 11. If mecca grade is like that, I dont think you need anything else.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2020, 10:12:29 am »
I dont like the thought of special b in a bock. Its so intense even in small doses it seems like it would dominate. Then again, I dont really like special B in general.

Ive never used mecca grade, but Ive used other artisanal base malts, and they were much more intense that the ones from the big maltsters, all the flavors were turned up to 11. If mecca grade is like that, I dont think you need anything else.

Quite likely not.  It will probably be a snap decision when I mill grain.  And I like Special B when used appropriately.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2020, 10:46:41 am »
Thanks for all the tips.  I have some Special B around.....what about a VERY small amount of that?  Maybe 5% or less?  Too little to matter?

I think that could be very tasty indeed.  But don't even use 5%.  Try just 2%.

Me neither!
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2020, 11:09:24 am »

I think that could be very tasty indeed.  But don't even use 5%.  Try just 2%.

Me neither!

Yeah, I'm thinking less is more here. After I get the rest of the recipe worked out I'll make the decision.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2020, 11:30:39 am »

Quite likely not.  It will probably be a snap decision when I mill grain.  And I like Special B when used appropriately.

even when used appropriately it just tastes like prunes and dr pepper to me and overpowers everything else. I have never had a beer that was made with it that I didnt think would be improved by taking it out. Its odd, I dont like special B, but use cara aroma malt alot, and it is a similar lovibond.