Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Rye Bock  (Read 2200 times)

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: Rye Bock
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2020, 11:46:32 am »
Thanks for all the tips.  I have some Special B around.....what about a VERY small amount of that?  Maybe 5% or less?  Too little to matter?
I think that 5% is a good amount for Special B in a recipe like this, depending on what flavor contribution you want. I use about that much in an Arrogant Bastard-type IPA and I don't think it is overpowering. I can't say that I've used it with Munich II, but I think the richness of it would go well with the dark fruit character of Special B.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2020, 11:52:04 am »
I dont like the thought of special b in a bock. Its so intense even in small doses it seems like it would dominate. Then again, I dont really like special B in general.

Ive never used mecca grade, but Ive used other artisanal base malts, and they were much more intense that the ones from the big maltsters, all the flavors were turned up to 11. If mecca grade is like that, I dont think you need anything else.

Quite likely not.  It will probably be a snap decision when I mill grain.  And I like Special B when used appropriately.

even when used appropriately it just tastes like prunes and dr pepper to me and overpowers everything else. I have never had a beer that was made with it that I didnt think would be improved by taking it out. Its odd, I dont like special B, but use cara aroma malt alot, and it is a similar lovibond.

I guess it's a good thing I'm making this beer for me and not you, then!  😉
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2020, 11:53:48 am »
I dont like the thought of special b in a bock. Its so intense even in small doses it seems like it would dominate. Then again, I dont really like special B in general.

Ive never used mecca grade, but Ive used other artisanal base malts, and they were much more intense that the ones from the big maltsters, all the flavors were turned up to 11. If mecca grade is like that, I dont think you need anything else.

Quite likely not.  It will probably be a snap decision when I mill grain.  And I like Special B when used appropriately.

even when used appropriately it just tastes like prunes and dr pepper to me and overpowers everything else. I have never had a beer that was made with it that I didnt think would be improved by taking it out. Its odd, I dont like special B, but use cara aroma malt alot, and it is a similar lovibond.

wait, you arent gonna share??

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2020, 12:13:27 pm »
A little brumalt maybe?
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2020, 12:13:38 pm »

Ha! Gotta remember that one to use on you when the time is right.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2020, 12:19:24 pm »
A little brumalt maybe?

Hmmmm....intersting idea

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2020, 12:20:00 pm »

Ha! Gotta remember that one to use on you when the time is right.

Be my guest!  I'm sure it would fit often!

www.dennybrew.com

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2020, 12:20:44 pm »

wait, you arent gonna share??

Sure!  I'll let ya know when it's done so you can come and pick some up!  ;)

www.dennybrew.com