Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: First IPA  (Read 1384 times)

Offline ajjensen147

• Cellarman
First IPA
« on: October 07, 2020, 09:20:21 am »
Going to be trying my hand at brewing my first IPA in the next week or so, just wanted a little input on quick recipe I drummed up.

I'm not very experienced with recipe design/formulation, so please be gentle with any criticism lol

For 5 gallons:
10lbs Pale Malt
1lb Munich Malt
.5lb  Crystal 60
1 lb Corn Sugar

1 oz Centenniel @ 60
1 oz Cascade @ 15
2 oz Cascade @ 5
1 oz Cascade Dry hop - 4 days

For yeast, I would most likely use US-05, my LHBS generally only stocks Fermentis dry yeast.

As far as the mash, I don't do anything fancy: single infusion with a batch sparge.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
Re: First IPA
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2020, 09:23:28 am »
Looks good to me except I would use a couple more ounces of hops for dry hopping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan Chisholm

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2020, 09:37:06 am »
Not sure I'd use sugar in that.  If it was an IIPA, yes.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline ajjensen147

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2020, 09:42:52 am »
Looks good to me except I would use a couple more ounces of hops for dry hopping.

Okay, thanks!  Also going to be my first attempt at dry hopping, so I didn't have much experience to go off of.

I was basically just using the sugar as an easy(lazy?) way to increase the gravity since I tend to have a low mash efficiency (something I should probably address).  Also since it's my first attempt at a recipe, I was using the BeerSmith style guidelines and essentially just shooting for the middle

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2020, 10:02:16 am »
My IPA grain bill is similar to yours other than it has 1/2# of sugar and I use honey malt and a bit more munich. I get great results. I don't see a problem with the sugar but #1 might be a bit much.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2020, 10:11:00 am »

Okay, thanks!  Also going to be my first attempt at dry hopping, so I didn't have much experience to go off of.

I was basically just using the sugar as an easy(lazy?) way to increase the gravity since I tend to have a low mash efficiency (something I should probably address).  Also since it's my first attempt at a recipe, I was using the BeerSmith style guidelines and essentially just shooting for the middle

2hy not just use more pale malt?  Probably the best way to address low efficiency.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline ajjensen147

• Cellarman
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2020, 10:35:41 am »
2hy not just use more pale malt?  Probably the best way to address low efficiency.

I suppose that's a pretty good point.  The only thing I'd have to look at is my mash tun capacity. I think 11.5# is already pushing it.

Offline ajjensen147

• Cellarman
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2020, 04:01:28 pm »
Had to pivot my initial plan on this recipe, since my LHBS didn't have 10 lb bags of pale malt in stock, so I switched to Maris Otter as my base malt.  I guess this is a little fortunate, because I've been wanting to play with Maris Otter a bit and this gave me a good reason.  I was also tossing up whether to use pale malt or Maris Otter when I started writing this recipe down.

The other change I was thinking about making is scrapping the crystal malt altogether, and adding a pound of cara-pils to increase head retention in the final beer.  Wondering if anyone has any personal experience with whether that actually helps, or if a pound of it is even necessary at this size batch.

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2020, 04:51:19 pm »
Had to pivot my initial plan on this recipe, since my LHBS didn't have 10 lb bags of pale malt in stock, so I switched to Maris Otter as my base malt.  I guess this is a little fortunate, because I've been wanting to play with Maris Otter a bit and this gave me a good reason.  I was also tossing up whether to use pale malt or Maris Otter when I started writing this recipe down.

The other change I was thinking about making is scrapping the crystal malt altogether, and adding a pound of cara-pils to increase head retention in the final beer.  Wondering if anyone has any personal experience with whether that actually helps, or if a pound of it is even necessary at this size batch.

I’m not a big Crystal fan, but in this beer and at that proportion I would keep it as a rock to help balance the sweetness side of the scale.  Others may feel differently, but I would also forget the CaraPils.  If you feel you need a boost for head retention, I would use 5-10% Pale Wheat, which always works for me.