Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Fermentation chamber,  (Read 1036 times)

Offline Oiscout

• Brewmaster
Fermentation chamber,
« on: October 18, 2020, 12:55:49 pm »
I fashioned a fermentation chamber recently out of a new Chest freezer and InkBird temp controller.

I was wondering if anyone has any insight on how accurate of a temperature reading you are getting having your Probe taped to the side of the carboy and insulated from the chambers air?

Reading up on diacetyl rests and some more advanced brewing techniques.

The fermentation chamber is a game changer for sure. Just wanting to make sure I am maximizing it's usefulness to get the most bang out of my buck

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Fermentation chamber,
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2020, 01:02:44 pm »
Its remarkably accurate.  I've compared taped to the fermenter to leaving it in air or a container of water.  Taped to the side was almost identical to a thermometer in the fermenter.   FWIW I almost never find a d rest is needed.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2020, 02:04:39 pm »
Its remarkably accurate.  I've compared taped to the fermenter to leaving it in air or a container of water.  Taped to the side was almost identical to a thermometer in the fermenter.   FWIW I almost never find a d rest is needed.
I never have.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2020, 03:07:21 pm »
The need to allow a fermentation to rise at the end is culture dependent. Really clean American-type ale cultures do not need a diacetyl rest.

Offline Oiscout

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2020, 03:10:21 pm »
Doing a northern english brown with WLP002

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2020, 03:56:00 pm »
Doing a northern english brown with WLP002

You may or may not need it.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2020, 07:08:39 pm »
To better reflect the temperature of what's inside a fermenter, its a good idea to insulate the probe from the ambient air around the fermenter.  I just tape a small piece of foam to the side of my fermenter and the probe goes next to the fermenter wall into a small groove that I cut into the foam.  It might be a teeny bit off, but that's not a concern to me.  Taping the probe to the fermenter wall is going to be slightly less precise, but its still going to be good enough if you're using the external air space around the fermenter to control the fermenter temperature. 

If you're heating or cooling the fermenter with an internal coil or something like that, then you'll definitely want to place the probe on the fermenter wall and insulate it from the ambient air as I describe above. 
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline Oiscout

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2020, 07:11:53 pm »
I got it shielded from the air around the fermentation vessel using some foam and tape, and in direct content of the vessel.