Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: The Dark Side Of The Beer  (Read 1791 times)

Fire Rooster

The Dark Side Of The Beer
« on: October 23, 2020, 07:23:52 am »
30 minute aggressive boils are now used.
Batch brewed today was the 3rd time using a 30 min boil.
This time the stove was at full throttle giving it all she got.
After 30 minutes, placed pot in sink full of ice, stirred creating
a whirlpool, set timer for 30 minutes to check temp later.

After returning it was observed the wort had darkened significantly.
What was that all about ??

Thanks

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
Re: The Dark Side Of The Beer
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2020, 07:26:22 am »
After the trub settles out, it can make the wort appear darker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan Chisholm

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2020, 11:13:38 am »
Maybe you got more break material due to the boil ... hard to say, but as mentioned when trup or yeast settles it makes the wort or beer look darker when held in larger volumes. Pour it into your hydrometer flask if you are concerned.

Fire Rooster

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2020, 02:51:07 am »
First time a 30 min very aggressive boil was done.
I'll go with more break material. Gunk in
bottom of pot was very light colored, so
I guess that makes sense.

Thanks
« Last Edit: October 24, 2020, 02:55:31 am by Fire Rooster »

Offline MNWayne

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2020, 09:38:10 am »
I think the high heat boil caramalized the sugars.
Far better to dare mighty things....

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2020, 09:50:35 am »

Technically, you can't caramelize in the kettle.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2020, 10:14:37 am »

If you boiled long enough - all the way to a reduction - you obviously can caramelize though ... right?

Online denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2020, 11:12:18 am »

If you boiled long enough - all the way to a reduction - you obviously can caramelize though ... right?

Yep...once you boil off the liquid.  That's how you make caramel for cooking,  for instance.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2020, 11:17:16 am »
That’s what I was thinking but I dunno

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Online denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2020, 11:41:12 am »
That’s what I was thinking but I dunno

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

As I said, it wasn't caramelization.  You need temps in excess of 360F for that and you can't get that high in a kettle of liquid.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2020, 01:24:23 pm »
As I said, it wasn't caramelization.  You need temps in excess of 360F for that and you can't get that high in a kettle of liquid.

Only tangentially related, but has anyone tried boiling some of the wort in a pressure cooker, then adding it to the kettle? I feel like this could be done fairly easily and low-risk in a 90 min boil with, say 2L of first runnings placed in an instant pot for a 30 min high pressure boil, then added to the kettle alongside the 60 minute hops. I would think the added 60 minutes of open boil would provide plenty of time for everything to gas off that needs to. I don't know what the benefits would be (maybe some additional color?), but it seems like it could be fun to try it out on something like a Scotch Ale or maybe a bock.

Online denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2020, 01:36:57 pm »

Only tangentially related, but has anyone tried boiling some of the wort in a pressure cooker, then adding it to the kettle? I feel like this could be done fairly easily and low-risk in a 90 min boil with, say 2L of first runnings placed in an instant pot for a 30 min high pressure boil, then added to the kettle alongside the 60 minute hops. I would think the added 60 minutes of open boil would provide plenty of time for everything to gas off that needs to. I don't know what the benefits would be (maybe some additional color?), but it seems like it could be fun to try it out on something like a Scotch Ale or maybe a bock.

I know people who have done decoctions using a pressure cooker.

www.dennybrew.com

Online ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2020, 03:45:07 pm »
I haven't used a pressure cooker for decocting, but I have done reduction boil off of a portion of the wort and added back to the main boil as a syrup.  I think there was a Scottish Ale recipe by someone named "Skotrat" for the Traquoir House homage beer.  That is what I used the reduction process on and it turned out really nice (my recollection, which could be skewed terribly).  But, that was years ago and probably unnecessary now with all of the newer trends available for brewing.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Online denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2020, 08:46:48 am »
I haven't used a pressure cooker for decocting, but I have done reduction boil off of a portion of the wort and added back to the main boil as a syrup.  I think there was a Scottish Ale recipe by someone named "Skotrat" for the Traquoir House homage beer.  That is what I used the reduction process on and it turned out really nice (my recollection, which could be skewed terribly).  But, that was years ago and probably unnecessary now with all of the newer trends available for brewing.

Scott's recipe is the base of my Wee Shroomy, which I make at least once a year.  I'm still doing the boil down.  It gives the beer a unique character I don't think you can get any other way.

www.dennybrew.com