Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Yeast nutrient, is it needed for all grain?  (Read 3000 times)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: Yeast nutrient, is it needed for all grain?
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2020, 07:52:57 am »
I almost always use nutrients - but it wouldn't stop me from brewing if I didn't have it. I do always use it for starters however. Just the tip of a butter knife amount.

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2020, 08:41:58 am »
I've always used a dash in my starters. Is there a difference between yeast nutrients? I think I have yeast energizer and yeast nutrient from LD Carlson, as well as the Wyeast yeast nutrient.

Offline Lazy Ant Brewing

• Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2020, 09:21:06 am »
I've never used it and get compliments on my brews. 

However, I use tap water, treated per Ward labs report to Bru'n water specs, only brew beers in the darker part of the color spectrum, use dry yeast, and keep the estimated ABV < 6.

Do any of those factors preclude the need for yeast nutrient?
It's easier to read brewing books and get information from the forum than to sacrifice virgins to appease the brewing gods when bad beer happens!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2020, 10:07:41 am »
I've never used it and get compliments on my brews. 

However, I use tap water, treated per Ward labs report to Bru'n water specs, only brew beers in the darker part of the color spectrum, use dry yeast, and keep the estimated ABV < 6.

Do any of those factors preclude the need for yeast nutrient?

Not necessarily.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2020, 10:08:15 am »
I've always used a dash in my starters. Is there a difference between yeast nutrients? I think I have yeast energizer and yeast nutrient from LD Carlson, as well as the Wyeast yeast nutrient.

There is a difference, but I can't tell you exactly what.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2020, 10:38:47 am »
Probably the tap water. Ck your report — it probably has zinc in it.

Offline Ellismr

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2020, 05:06:14 am »
I have noticed better fermentation‘s in terms of start time when I add yeast nutrient but I will say that not all nutrients are created equally the nutrient from Wyeast seems to work best for me. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Brew what you like & brew often.

Offline roger

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2020, 04:18:04 pm »
Denny, do you mean no difference in taste when you have early versus late fermentation start?

No difference in taste, FG, or any other meaningful measure.
My experience agrees with Denny's comments. Although I don't understand the  obsession with quick starting or quick finishing fermentation, everyone's brewery is unique. Maybe if I ever had an infection, I would feel different.

However, I always add nutrient, because, as said above, why not?

Sent from my LM-V450 using Tapatalk

Roger

Offline stout_fan

• Cellarman
  • Winner: Least original Avatar
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2020, 05:55:58 pm »
Some yeast nutrient is nothing more than yeast hulls or ghosts. I came up with a simpler approach. I went to Costco and bought half a kilo of Fleischmann's bread Yeast. I keep it in a jar in the fridge. Besides using it for bread (when I'm not brewing) I pitch a heaping tablespoon (AKA 2 tablespoons) into my 14 gal sized batch. I pitch it into the BK AFTER boil starts that way the yeast is terminated with extreme prejudice and adds no fermentation products to my beer, just protein and lipids.. DEAD ones!

I believe it has helped in faster starts, no stuck fermentations and a more complete fermentation without diacetyl. But this could all be speculative and wishful thinking, what the heck do I know. I'm retired.
I'd say something witty down here, but I'm at a bit of a disadvantage in that department.

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2020, 07:28:52 pm »
Yes, yeast hulls have been used as a nutrient for centuries.  They work. But they can also impart autolysis flavor to beer if used in excess.  A little could be good, but more could be bad.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2020, 08:02:57 pm »
Some yeast nutrient is nothing more than yeast hulls or ghosts. I came up with a simpler approach. I went to Costco and bought half a kilo of Fleischmann's bread Yeast. I keep it in a jar in the fridge. Besides using it for bread (when I'm not brewing) I pitch a heaping tablespoon (AKA 2 tablespoons) into my 14 gal sized batch. I pitch it into the BK AFTER boil starts that way the yeast is terminated with extreme prejudice and adds no fermentation products to my beer, just protein and lipids.. DEAD ones!

I believe it has helped in faster starts, no stuck fermentations and a more complete fermentation without diacetyl. But this could all be speculative and wishful thinking, what the heck do I know. I'm retired.

I think it was in the old Dave Line book, that it was stated that Fuller's would pitch a bucket of yeast into the boil. Nothing about the size of the bucket. Fuller's had big kettles back then.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2020, 05:16:21 am »
I have pitched old expired yeast into the boil instead of yeast nutrient.  I haven’t done any side by side comparisons, but it didn’t overtly change the process, time or flavor in my experience.  But this is a rare occurrence and I would have to compare side by side to see if autolytic results come from it....my guess is that it would take a lot of dead yeast to make any difference in a five gallon batch or ten gallon batch, which are the sizes I brew.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"